• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Holidays Do You Get Off From School?

I think it's interesting to see what sort of holidays schools give off since it really does depend a lot on the area. The type of people and many other factors influence what holidays are given to students, there are a lot of differences in my own school district alone.
I currently go to school in West Hartford (blegh), CT, and we get the basics (Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, etc.) off, however we also get all the Jewish holidays off. Roshashana (on Monday) and Yom Kippur (next Wednesday) are just two examples. It's actually a funny story, you'd think it'd be the Jews that wanted those holidays off, however it was actually the Christians who were upset Jews got Christmas off and Christians didn't get any of the Jewish holidays off xD
The city next to us, Hartford (where I started school in CT) doesn't get Jewish holidays off, however they do get 3 Kings Day off, a Hispanic/European holiday. West Hartford doesn't, however with it's growing Hispanic population, I see that coming soon (currently me and other Hispanics in the school are granted an excused absence on that day).

So anyways, I thought it'd be interesting to ask; what kinds of holidays do you get off at your school? Any you think are unique to your area? Are they due to culture or what?

^.^

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I'm not in school anymore, but back when I was here are the holidays we got off:

1 week in winter (called winter holiday, usually sometime in February)
Easter - 1 week + 1 day
May 1st (if it's set on a tuesday or a thursday we get a long weekend)
17th May (our National Holiday)
A Thursday 40 days after Easter (don't remember the English name for it), we get that off and usually end up getting a long weekend out of it.
Then there's another Monday following a religious holiday I don't know the English name for.
Summer - ca 8 weeks from end of June to middle of August
1 week in Autumn (around September/October)
ca 2 weeks at Christmas (school ending a few days before Christmas and starting up a couple of days after New Years)

My school is a secular institution and the only religious celebration we have off on is Good Friday. Aside from that it's your usual bunch.

September-Labor Day
October-Columbus Day
November-Veterans Day, Thanksgiving (one week)
December-Christmas (as part of Winter Break)
January-New Year's Day (as part of Winter Break), Martin Luther King Jr. Day
February-Presidents' Day
March/April-Good Friday (moving holiday)
May-Memorial Day

Dan

Normally it's Pretty much

-Christmas
-and about 2 weeks

but for some it's never...
g1339334309780046561.jpg

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I get Labor Day,Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents day, and Memorial day.

Rachel

be vigitant
My school doesn't count Columbus Day or Veterans Day as holidays, and takes one day off from holidays per snow day/emergency school closure.

September: Labor Day, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur
October: None
November: Teacher Convention (2 days), Thanksgiving (2 days)
December: Winter Break (7 school days)
January: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
February: Presidents' Day Weekend (3-4 days)
March: Spring Break (1-5 school days)
April: Spring Break (continuation, 1-2 school days)
May: Memorial Day (1-2 days)
June: None

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom