• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What has become of Metroid?

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
I actually think Federation Force is one of the better games released this year.

As a longtime Metroid fan I was actually quite pleased with the game up until the very final mission, which still managed to be handwavable given what the devs have stated the next game they're planning is set to be.

It for one confirmed multiple theories fans had (Project Golem= "the Feds used prime 3 to steal Samus's suit technology" theory that was spurred on by concept art of the mechs that is in Prime 3's beta art gallery in game) in addition to sort of implying Prime 3 wasn't the near complete destruction of the Pirates as most people thought, as well as implying the averted start of the federation's unhealthy Metroid obsession.

In hindsight, they probably could've gone into more details about the differences between Space Pirates and Zebesians (current theories include the Zebesians are mindless, bioengineered soldiers meant to shoot and not ask questions, among other things), but the game in single player does give off Prime 1 and Prime 3 vibes- both of which I happen to vastly prefer to Prime 2.

Tanebe HAS said he's making "a sequel to prime 3" and that the idea is that the game revolves around the antagonism between Samus and Sylux, so the ending makes a lot of sense to set up what they specifically said MPFF was meant to help set up.

It also I think does do a good job of subtly welding Other M more cleanly into the main canon by ironically ignoring it to a large degree and firmly establishing the differences between the Marines and the Army, though the CO uniform is somewhat reused for Miles (the CO).

It's also a much more balanced and well thought out multiplayer game than the abomination that is Tri Force Heroes mechanically speaking, which is automatically a plus.

To be completely honest, they could quite easily pull off the new 3D Prime game on Switch- I'd be much more concerned for Paper Mario right now because Miyamoto has his head up his ass about how Mario RPGs work ("Why need Mario Story (a game serious enough to tackle pretty mature themes) when you have Mario and Luigi (a game series that is built on comedy), DURR HURR")

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I actually think Federation Force is one of the better games released this year.

As a longtime Metroid fan I was actually quite pleased with the game up until the very final mission, which still managed to be handwavable given what the devs have stated the next game they're planning is set to be.

It for one confirmed multiple theories fans had (Project Golem= "the Feds used prime 3 to steal Samus's suit technology" theory that was spurred on by concept art of the mechs that is in Prime 3's beta art gallery in game) in addition to sort of implying Prime 3 wasn't the near complete destruction of the Pirates as most people thought, as well as implying the averted start of the federation's unhealthy Metroid obsession.

In hindsight, they probably could've gone into more details about the differences between Space Pirates and Zebesians (current theories include the Zebesians are mindless, bioengineered soldiers meant to shoot and not ask questions, among other things), but the game in single player does give off Prime 1 and Prime 3 vibes- both of which I happen to vastly prefer to Prime 2.

Tanebe HAS said he's making "a sequel to prime 3" and that the idea is that the game revolves around the antagonism between Samus and Sylux, so the ending makes a lot of sense to set up what they specifically said MPFF was meant to help set up.

It also I think does do a good job of subtly welding Other M more cleanly into the main canon by ironically ignoring it to a large degree and firmly establishing the differences between the Marines and the Army, though the CO uniform is somewhat reused for Miles (the CO).

Interesting.

As someone that purposefully ignored Federation Force it is quite interesting to hear that it actually may hint to a new entry into Metroid Proper.

And I swear, I will play Metroid Other M one of these days so I can see what the big deal is. I've heard only the two polar opposite opinions, it's either a good game or a terrible game, it's never a medium/okay/decent game. So I need to play it myself and find out. I own it, but my backlog is a serious thing right now.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Interesting.

As someone that purposefully ignored Federation Force it is quite interesting to hear that it actually may hint to a new entry into Metroid Proper.

And I swear, I will play Metroid Other M one of these days so I can see what the big deal is. I've heard only the two polar opposite opinions, it's either a good game or a terrible game, it's never a medium/okay/decent game. So I need to play it myself and find out. I own it, but my backlog is a serious thing right now.
Other M is a game with Meh to Decent gameplay. But with a terrible story that absolutely ****s the series and Samus.

Most of the people who say how good Other M is, are newbies to the series. So they had absolutely no idea why fans are so mad. The other group that says why Other M is so good, don't really care for story and just ignore it.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Other M is a game with Meh to Decent gameplay. But with a terrible story that absolutely ****s the series and Samus.

Most of the people who say how good Other M is, are newbies to the series. So they had absolutely no idea why fans are so mad. The other group that says why Other M is so good, don't really care for story and just ignore it.

I still need to play it for myself. I know a few people complained about the Zero Suit in Zero Mission, and blah blah blah Samus is made to look weak and stuff. I didn't agree with that assessment of Zero Mission, so I'm not sure how I'll react to Other M. Even people complained about how Samus was portrayed in Fusion, but I didn't really have that big of a problem with that either. So we'll see. I doubt I'll get bent out of shape, but you never know.

I still need to play it for myself. I know a few people complained about the Zero Suit in Zero Mission, and blah blah blah Samus is made to look weak and stuff. I didn't agree with that assessment of Zero Mission, so I'm not sure how I'll react to Other M. Even people complained about how Samus was portrayed in Fusion, but I didn't really have that big of a problem with that either. So we'll see. I doubt I'll get bent out of shape, but you never know.

I didnt have a problem with the zero suit in zero mission (i do think Samus should have been a little stronger though because she is part chozo but i understand it for the purpose of the gsme and we dont know the extent of the benefit of having chozo dna, so that can slide and be okay with me)

Her portrayal in Fusion wasnt too bad either, she talked a lot but she was concise enough and felt like things that Samus may say in that situation

So im okay with zero mission and fusion but jesus Other M....

Its too stupid to be offensive to women or Samus, its so nonsensical and bone headed.

Indeed play it for yourself but Fusion and Zero Mission did NOT prepare you.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
I didnt have a problem with the zero suit in zero mission (i do think Samus should have been a little stronger though because she is part chozo but i understand it for the purpose of the gsme and we dont know the extent of the benefit of having chozo dna, so that can slide and be okay with me)

Her portrayal in Fusion wasnt too bad either, she talked a lot but she was concise enough and felt like things that Samus may say in that situation

So im okay with zero mission and fusion but jesus Other M....

Its too stupid to be offensive to women or Samus, its so nonsensical and bone headed.

Indeed play it for yourself but Fusion and Zero Mission did NOT prepare you.

Playing Other M and Fusion back to back, her portrayal is actually pretty startlingly consistent, right down to monologing in elevators, probably more so in the Japanese version since I know Other M ****ed up quite a bit in translation (which is why the game is received much more favorably in Japan).

Playing Other M and Fusion back to back, her portrayal is actually pretty startlingly consistent, right down to monologing in elevators, probably more so in the Japanese version since I know Other M ****ed up quite a bit in translation (which is why the game is received much more favorably in Japan).

True. Though i think reading her monologues in Fusion is better than listening to them in OM which might be why i can get through Fusion.

Least she doesnt deactivate herself in Fusion...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
dead as ****, metroid fed force bombed and rightfully so, the series will never see the light of day ever again hahaha. wait 25 years for a spritiaul reboot in the same vain as kid icarus uprising because thats all were gonna get from NintenDORKs.

I don't think Nintendo has shelved Metroid. The very fact that Federation Force exists is proof that Nintendo is still thinking about the franchise, just not in the way the vast majority of fans want.
I agree with this. If Metroid was such an unpopular IP that Nintendo wouldn't bother devoting time to it in order to focus on safer series' then why tack on the Metroid brand to a game that doesn't particularly need it? Because they know it will still help it sell.

The issue is whether it is deemed worthwhile to devote the time and effort to a new Metroid game in the style of previous games. I think this depends on the popularity of the Switch.

As for all the talk on Other M I'll give my opinion. I personally think that the game was of course a disappointment to Metroid fans because of the poor treatment of Samus' character and those surrounding her. However I think the gameplay was only a disappointment if you came at the game expecting it to feel like a Metroid game normally does. I understand that the 2.5D perspective is arguably more traditional for Metroid but still find how the Prime series approached core gameplay elements like exploration, character interaction, pacing and combat felt much more like a Metroid game should.

However I am one of the few who seems to think the game was okay but not great, I enjoyed it anyway. It may not have felt like a Metroid game to me but the combat was fun anyway, as was the platforming (though using the d-pad wasn't always ideal). I also quite like the first person perspective stuff, it added a sense of tactility to the game-world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom