• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Games Gave You Trouble Trying to Learn the Controls?

For me, I rarely have trouble learning to controls when playing a game for the first time, but there's one series that's always giving me trouble: Super Smash Bros. Anytime I play this series, I can never learn the controls. And even today, I still don't know how the controls work.

Hmmm. Celeste and Hollow Knight. I played with my keyboard and mouse, so it was kinda my own fault lmao

I died over a hundred times the first time I played Celeste, in the first level alone.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Minecraft on Switch has some of the clunkiest controls ever because someone (probably from Bethesda) thought that the triggers should be used for primary actions instead of the face buttons. I spent circa twenty minutes fiddling around with button configuration, but couldn't find a suitable control scheme. In the end I never went back, but probably would if I could get friends or something involved on PC.

The witcher 3 has been incredibly awkward to learn it's controls and navigate its menus.
Yeah, Geralt all around has too much weight to his movement and is cumbersome to control, and the menu interface is absolutely abysmal. If it helps, flicking the right stick will move between the inventory categories for quicker navigation, but still having to open it to manage the stupid weight system and view the world map is a major inconvenience. I think the menu was thrown together for PC users in mind, but it's an unoptimized mess on consoles.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Skyrim had a bit of a learning curve for me. I've never played a Bethesda game until recently, and the way in which you access certain menus or perform some actions was somewhat foreign to me in comparison to other games I've played.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
WHENEVER I play a new game.

For eg
you just thrust your Wiimote for stabbing in Skyward Sword.
When I played TP the first time, Link just slashed diagonally when I thrust the Wii mote.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I would say... 'Breath of the Wild'. For months after getting it, and even occasionally now, I was constantly pulling up wrong menus. Trying to change Shield, but pulling up up Arrows menu. Forgetting how to access Map compared to inventory. Learning how to shield surf. So many buttons and menus.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Glover.

gloverheaderWVZXk_display.png

I still don't understand the controls.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Magicka
Controls are actually fairly simple, but remembering the button combos for certain spells, and pulling them off quickly without typos with my jelly fingers was a nightmare at first. I eventually got enough practise with certain spells to pull them off reliably, but there was a definite learning period when I was just a useless novice and not an arcane master.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I shall also say breath of the wild. There are just too many menus and remembering which one was where was difficult. I often whistled making my presence aware to previously un alert enemies instead of getting into the bow menu.

In fact the switch in general is annoying because the button that should be the back button. B on xbox, is the Switches action button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom