• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS What Does the Moon Represent to You?

Djinn

and Tonic
This is an interesting thing I have seen posted in a few places before. Every so often I see someone give an explanation on what exactly the moon represents in context of the game and story. I have seen a few explanations before on the moon actually representing the hopelessness of the story and how it affects each of the characters on an individual basis, it was meant to impart that same feeling to the player. I have seen someone talk about how it represented inevitability, how it was constantly coming closer and no matter what it was not stopping. I have also seen someone talk about how the face in the moon represents the trauma Link went through in his life. A strong scary figure always staring down at him no matter where he goes.

There have been so many varied explanations that one can see how it is interpreted very differently depending on the player. So I thought I might make a broader question here. What does the moon above Termina represent to you when you play this game?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've always thought of the moon as a visual representation of how much precious little time there is left. It gets bigger and bigger every day, and even closer as well. It was a gruesome reminder of the impending doom. It's still there no matter what you happen to accomplish. Even if you beat the dungeons, it's still up there staring you down. So I'd agree with those who'd say it represents hopelessness.

n64

I would probably have to say death and destruction, I mean, I don't know if it is really deep...

Ganondorf's dark desire to rule not only Hyrule but also Termina. Maybe he's searching for a way to get a hold of Majora's Mask.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I have way too wild an imagination and since the moon has a face, I always thought of it as another person with a full personality that was scared of facing both his death and the death of everyone he's ever known including the Earth and the four giants since I always imagined that the giants could speak to the moon.

And then I always found this to be a good example of how evil Majora's Mask can turn people. In my mind, the Skull Kid gave the most innocent creature in the world, the moon, 3 days to live and there's nothing he can do about it. Luckily, his friends, the giants, save him and push him back up.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, considering I follow [this] theory, I would have to say that I think I could agree with the OP, but only in the part with "I have also seen someone talk about how the face in the moon represents the trauma Link went through in his life."....

Perhaps it does represent some of his experiences while alive.
But, going off the theory in the link above, maybe it's more like an emotional pressure Link faces while trying to come to terms with his death. Or perhaps the moon represents death itself. Or rather, I should say, the unawareness of death. Because Link has to work to repel, or at least stop the moon. If he's struggling to accept his death, the moon could be some force of human ignorance, trying to stop him from really learning the truth. It would be Link's job to fight that inner-('fear' of death, lets call it)-and stop the moon from consuming him, sending him back to where he was to begin with. Back to day one. And, if this is the case, then perhaps each three days, as he progresses, he slowly becomes more aware of his being dead. And that's when the moon (or what it represents- in this view) get closer and hits harder. It tries to stop Link from really finding out.

Or perhaps It's not. Perhaps it's just there to give the feeling of emergency... It's really all just speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom