• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What Do You Think SS Was Missing?

well, some people thought that SS was perfect, and others think it has flaws. Gameplay wise (Not story wise), what do you think it was missing. For example, as an enemy, I was hopeing for some darknuts... Also, at the end, Demis shuold had been harder. This thread is under "Spoilers" so feel free to talk about anything from the game, what should of been diffrent, or what should of been added..

They definitely should have added more exploration, and I think almost anyone can agree to that. Nintendo went polar opposites it seems with the past 2 games, Twilight Princess being too big and barren of a world, and Skyward Sword just being minimized to its most extreme.

It's one of the smallest worlds in a Zelda game, and though I don't mind a smaller world, I felt there was no room for exploration in SS. Everything that the player discovers is all part of the main quest; in other words, this game is way too linear for my liking, along with TP. OoT, MM, WW and all the other home console games before all let you discover things on your own basically, while TP and SS have taken it so that you can only do "one thing at a time" if you know what I mean. They force you forward through the game. They started this a little bit in TP, and with SS they made it even more accentuated.

If they could combine TP and SS with exploration like OoT, THAT is my perfect Zelda.

MW7

Freedom, choice, and exploration were all relatively nonexistent compared to earlier games in the series. I don't think it's fair to say it's all Skyward Sword's fault because Twilight Princess was even more restricted in what you could do and when. The direction of the series is just baffling to me since it started out as nonlinear as anything. Why did they start restricting the player more and more? I know this doesn't bother everyone, but it almost ruins the games for me. i think that nonlinear gameplay is better than linear gameplay because all it does is add options and replay value. For instance if you take the existing Skyward Sword and add more choice, you get a better game.

Also I don't think anyone claimed Skyward Sword was perfect because nothing is perfect. Some people thought it was the greatest thing ever, but it's highly debatable if it's the Game of the Year let alone the Game of All Time. Plus it's still the honeymoon period for the game so people's opinions aren't fully formed that they are to the extent that they are for other games. Give it time, and I think the number of people that think it's the greatest game ever will dwindle.

Also the whip and the clawshots could have been more useful and had multiple uses. If you're going to give us only 8 items, at least make them as useful as possible. For instance the clawshots had less functionality than in Twilight Princess, and the clawshots in Twilight Princess were a different kind of hookshot with much of the hookshot's functionality gone. Why give us an item if the only thing it does is attach to blatantly obvious targets? That's horrible design. Look at any other Zelda game with the hookshot/clawshot and it can do more. Taking away functionality that was in previous games is as bad as items lacking creativity. Maybe I just miss being able to hookshot tons of different things in ALTTP.

Last edited:

Feral

The Drifter
It's missing a.....fishing mini game! : : Goes trying to catch fish with a bug net rabidly. : : :mad:

That aside, definitely flying at night. I mean all I need to do is tape a flood flash light onto the top of a pair of goggles and tie it on my loftwing's head right?

It would also be cool if there were more larger floating lands, forests/mini dungeons to explore. (Maybe a fishing island?) :puppy:

And yes, I feel there were a lack of certain enemies.

sivelki

Ancient Automaton
The feeling of sadness , the lack of dark elements. SS is childish compared to TP

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Gameplay-wise, not storywise? Hmm. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I should just say that I'd give Skyward Sword a 10/10, despite these things I disliked:

Exploration. Zelda games commonly offer secrets all around the mainland. Hidden grottos, secret caves, out-of-the-way Fairy Fountains -- every time I found one of these, I felt a little bit accomplished. I love finding secrets in the game, especially secret locations. I remember how in Ocarina of Time, I'd go around Hyrule Field throwing bombs everywhere in hopes that I would find a hole to jump down into. Skyward Sword didn't offer any of that. The closest thing it got to an exploration secret was the Goddess Cubes, and you could easily dowse for them. While the overworld is compact and offered a lot to do, it doesn't really give you that sense of freedom.

The Magic Meter. Although not really a complaint restricted to Skyward Sword alone, you did ask what I thought was missing, so I had to include this here. I really miss the the magic that Link could harness in previous Zelda games. What happened to the elemental arrows, the three Goddess spells? The items in Skyward Sword were useful, yes (compared to Twilight Princess XD), but they were missing that magic touch.

A difficult fight. I was itching for a hard, long fight all throughout my run of the game. I loved how the average damage an enemy would do was one heart (much better than losing 1/4th of a heart XD), so that led me to to believe that there was going to be a very difficult fight sometime later in the game. And even if it wasn't in the main game, maybe it could be in Hero Mode. But after I defeated Demise, I was left feeling like I haven't shown my true potential in battle yet. >_< I wouldn't call Demise easy -- especially the first time -- but I only struggled with him because I had no idea that I had to charge my sword with lightning. Once I figured that out, it was all over for him. I wished for an enemy that was simple to figure out and understand, but was difficult to defeat.

A Cave of Ordeals, or other similar aspect of the game where you fight a lot of monsters. I'm sure you can tell, but I love fighting in Zelda games. XD I really loved the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess, as well as the Savage Labyrinth in The Wind Waker and the "Take 'Em All On" minigame from Spirit Tracks. Since they were all included in relatively recent Zeldas, I expected one in Skyward Sword as well, especially since swordplay seemed very dynamic. It would open up a lot of opportunities. Unfortunately, there was none. This is probably my biggest disappointment in the game that has nothing to do with the storyline.

Other minor complaints include:

- No fishing minigame
- No other large islands in the Sky
- No Loftwing minigame
- No connecting pieces of land for Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru
- No chance to see the Surface in its entirety thousands of years into the past (we only got to see parts of Lanayru, as well as the Sealed Grounds)

:)

Well I'll just mention one of several things that I find wrong with the game.

The three surface areas being separate was a real turn off for me. The fact that you had to fly into the sky to go into a different region not only made it tedious to go to other regions in a pinch, but it also made the three areas seem distant from one another and not connected like they really are. It's like there is some huge gap in space between these two lands when they should of been connected. I make the reference to OoT as an example. In OoT, you could go from Hyrule Field to Zora's River and eventually Zoras domain fluidly. The River also connected the Kokiri Forest as well. Hyrule Field also connected the Gerudo Desert and Lake Hylia. Point is, traveling across the land seemed fluid and more realistic to me than in Skyward Sword. It was like the three regions were separte continents instead of one unified land like they were in Ocarina of Time.

Also a quick note. I really hated the fact that they got rid of the "x, y, z" buttons or the "c" buttons to switch to your items. The fact that you could only equip one item at a time bothered me a bit. But this is just being nit picky.

Another thing I thought of was is the map. just like Koosholts said: you have to travel to the sky to get to other lands, this is non-troditianal.. you see, in all the other zelda games, nintendo cleverly connected the land, so this flaw is another thing they should of added.

MW7

Kind of related to the lack of connection between the areas of the game is how inefficient the warp system was compared to other Zeldas. For instance if you want to go from one end of Faron to another by warping you have to fly up, turn around in the sky, fly back to the drop point, and then pick where you want to go. Not to mention how you can't do any warping in the sky- this seemed really weird to me since the ocean in Wind Waker was similar to the sky and it had multiple warp points. For instance I would have liked to at least have a warp between Skyloft, the Isle of Songs, and maybe the Lumpy Pumpkin.

Twilight Princess had one of the best warp systems IMO because the warp spots were strategically located and you could freely travel between any of them at the press of a button. Skyward Sword's bird statues had great locations, but the way you could use them was limited.

Pen

The game is on!
Ever since before the game was released I had been hoping for a simple yet epic sword duel against Dark Link (one with the exact same abilities as the player itself). Sadly the closest we came to that was the final battle against Demise, which was grand as well, but not quite what I had hoped for.

Another thing that I wanted in Skyward Sword was something similar to the Gold Skulltulas form Ocarina of Time or the Poe Souls from Twilight Princess, I was actually most disappointed that there wasn't anything like that in the game. It would have added a great exploration value.

LnktheWolf

The Sacred Wolf of Legend
I think skyward sword was an amazing game, but I do have a few things if I nitpick.
1. It should have had a way to get to the places from the world below.
2. We should have been able to go to the world below. The places could've been beautiful (especially Eldin Volcano) at night.
3. I was kind of looking forward to a battle with dark link. He could have the same abilities as us, which would have been an epic battle (skyward strike of darkness anyone?)
4. it should have been harder. I get that they wanted new Zelda players to be able to play, but I think it should have been a bit harder for the Zelda veterans.
5. There should have been a battle dungeon like a cave of ordeals, take em' all on challenge, Savage Labyrinth type thing. Would have been a great challenge, and I always loved them in the other games.
6. I REALLY would have liked to have ReDeads in the game (bitey type not sword type). They are my favorite enemy, would have been great in the Ancient Cistern (or with the night exploration idea, roamed the world below). Plus they would have looked great in the skyward sword art style.

Like I said these reasons are because of me nitpicking, except the ReDead one.

shogun_zidane

将軍 ジタン
The only two complaints I have is that they cheat you out of 12 pieces of heart (because you start with 6 containers) and the fact that you cannot warp from one statue to another in the same province. for example if you don't feel like walking from one side of faron to the sealed grounds you had to go to the sky, fly in a half circle, dive and then choose where to land.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
By far it was the sky. Sure it looked amazing and flying around on your bird is a lot of fun but there's nothing to do there. All it is is a few barren rocks with goddess chests and one or two building that had next to no side quests. When I heard of the sky I was expecting a glorified version of the Sea in the Wind Waker. Sadly unlike the rich and expansive sea we got a dull and boring area that has practically no use other than then getting from point A to point B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom