• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What Do You Really Want?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So time and time again all I hear is complaints about Zelda's recycled formula, yes I see it hasn't changed a whole deal but is that really bad? Anyway, these arguments pop up time and time again, Zelda isn't idle in this respect, there are other gaming franchises that suffer too, but I just feel it needs to be discussed somewhat in depth.

I want to know where the series should actually go, how it goes about it and ultimately why. Essentially, like the thread says, what do "you" actually want? Forget the good of the series, what do you want? Do you feel advancing the series is the way forward? Should it continue with innovation? Or like mentioned recently, do you want the series to be flipped on its head?

Tell me your thoughts on how exactly you feel the series should go for your own personal needs.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I just want Ocarina of Time 3.0. This includes a lot of things.

Nonlinearity
Traditional controls
Gimmick being "fantastic adventure"
Horse combat to the next level
Difficulty - preferably ALttP levels or higher.
Puzzles - OoA level or higher.
A lengthy adventure
Nuanced world
Level design that makes it a world, not a level set.

There's a lot more. brb.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
First, I see arguments for both sides. A lot of people that I talk to say that they won't even buy A Link Between Worlds because of the "turn into a painting" ability. But then again, I see people who argue the opposite, saying that the game needs something new. I think both sides, innovation and not, have support. On one hand, the old titles have sold well. On the other, things can get exhausting and repetitive. I personally think that innovation is a good thing, and moving forward, while being a risk, can lead to better puzzles, more challenges, and if it doesn't work, you at least know what NOT to do for next time.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I want the series to surprise me with something compactly unsuspected but not in a bad way. Maybe have more personal goal against the final boss. Not the fate of all of hyrule, although if that was thrown but not the "main goal" I would not mind.

I just want Ocarina of Time 3.0. This includes a lot of things.

Nonlinearity
Traditional controls
A lengthy adventure
Nuanced world

There's a lot more. brb.
also this except the control scheme.

Big Octo

=^)
As it stands, I like the type of gameplay seen in both the 2D and 3D games, as it is what keeps bringing me back. What I want is it to be developed further, with more in-depth combat and more usefulness of items.

Regarding combat, I'm going to assume that the next upcoming 3D title (Zelda U) will be traditionally controlled. Essentially, I'd the tried and tested Z/L/whatever-targetting system to be kept. Furthermore, special moves such as the Hidden Skills would be nice to have as well. With enemies, I would enjoy having them be much more agressive, making it so that even a handful of small mistakes can lead to the player's demise. Also, the special moves could be expanded upon by having them serve special functions. We have already seen this with the Helm Splitter technique and how it can, of course, remove/destroy the helmets of enemies. This is exactly what I want more of; make the moves more practical having them take down certain enemies more easily. These tweaks would make the combat more engaging for me.

When looking at items in past games, it's clear that some of high amounts of usefulness. Others, however, seem like they were limited in use and could have been really expanded upon. If changes were to be made regarding items in Zelda U, then I would hope that each has a time to shine while being balanced as well. An item could be very useful in combat but hindering outside it, though it still may have other functions regarding puzzles and the like. Variations on this idea would certainly make the usefulness of items more aligned to my tastes.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I don't know. I want it to be a fun game. I also don't want people to say that it needs to be changed and then complain when it is.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
If the formula totally sucked, we wouldn't be members of this site or fans of Zelda at all.

I say they just need to craft a game from the staples of OoT. They need to look back to that game and MM for inspiration. I mean all we really want is a great adventure and solid gameplay. These past 26.5 years show that that is enough to make an amazing series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nonlinearity
This is something that keeps me coming back for more. Speedrunning the game is great, sure. So are 3HCs and minimalist runs. But what about a minimalist, Level 8 first run? A lot harder yadig? So many combinations. Like, OoT has a beaten path. It WANTS you to do Fire Temple before Water Temple. But who says I have to? Exactly why i sequence break yadig?

Traditional controls
I just do not like gimmicky controls. Don't make the system work as the game. Make the game work as the system (if that makes sense). I'm sorry but don't market my legendary title as a showcase for what your system can or could do via its controls(PH, ST, SS). Just give me a great game - and tradit controls do that already.

Basically do what OoT and MM did and give me a world.

Natural evolution.

I'm sorry but I need difficulty to make the game worthwhile. Even Kirby is hard, and it looks like a kiddy game or whatever. I remember when Zelda was hard. But now, it's filled with obvious stuff. If it isn't "look here's my weakpointlololol" puzzlenemies, it's obvious camera panning. If it isn't tutorial after tutorial, it's my companion tellings me what to do. Combat is a joke and finding my way is needless because I have a guide to do it for me. I want the old Zelda back.

Again I need difficulty. Even though it's a puzzle, and even though it stumps me...I want hard puzzles. I love the satisfaction of finally solving something. It'd be like me asking "359 x 2" and a myriad of other questions versus "1 + 1". In the former case, I have to do a lot more calculations and I'll eventually mess up even with a strong head. In the latter case, I'm doing the same ol' stuff over and over and over--

A lengthy adventure
And I don't mean lengthy by cutscenes.

Nuanced world
Character dialogue needs to be intriguing.

Basically if I'm in a volcano, I can't have blatantly set paths. Or even suggested paths. That's not what a volcano is!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
An improvement. I don't care if it's off TP or SS, but I don't want a different Zelda game...I want a better Zelda game. I feel like this game series changes way too much. I should go into the store, knowing what's in store for me, knowing that I'm going to buy a game even better than the last. I don't want to come in feeling like I'm playing a slot machine that can churn out a title of varying qualities.

"What I want, Cloud, is to sail the darkness of the cosmos with this planet as my vessel and then one day we'll find a new planet and on its soil we'll create a shining future."

...oh.. wrong game.

What do i want for Zelda?

Simply for Aonuma so stop screwing with it but here is a list.

-I want the series to stop bouncing all over the place, i want characters i can follow for a few games and see evolve and grow.
-I want a better story, i want it to make sense i want it to be multi-layered, i want a story to continue for a few games and actually tell something comprehensible.
-I want it to give more thought to the overworld, there should never be a time like in OoT or ALttP when the very next thing to do is head to a dungeon right after completing one.
-I want the hidden skills to come back
-I want combo attacks (Dante Devil May Cry 3 or Bayonetta style)
-I want the enemies to b able to stand up to more punishment
-I want a proper blocking system for both enemies and Link, none of the SS crap
-I want items to be equipable without having to press start mid battle and assigning them to buttons
-I want the items to be useful like the were in WW with multiple uses
-I want it to feel grand, not necessarily like Skyrim but some grand architecture like we saw in TP with Hyrule Castle and Eldin Bridge, more like that would give the game a good scale and epic feel
-I wan tthe companion to be more than just a a guide, i want ti to be a powerful magic or item or something useful in the field or for combat or exploration

Salem

SICK
1-no companions

2-subtle approach to the story, less cutscenes.

3-non-linearity, a le carta approach to dungeons like super Mario 64 with it's stars, being able to pick and chose what dungeons we want to complete.

4-less rpg elements.

Ragadash

Composer of the Sea's
I want theme to keep doing what they are doing with more side quests and more focus on the timeline!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom