• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks What Do Think of the Spirit Flute?

Spirit Flute: Hit or Miss

• Hit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miss

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's not about hoping, it's about blowing with the right amount of force. If you can't seem to get that down, then you might want to try practiing some more. That's probably why each Lokomo gives you the opportunity to practice before each song.

I'm not here to make a scene, but it isn't really about getting the "right amount of force". I play Spirit Tracks using an emulator and a soundbit that has one constant sound. It shoots the Mic volume to max and stays there as long as I'm using said soundbit. However, the flute does not pick up my using the soundbit until a second afterwards. No, there is no delay in the soundbit; it's a static noise with no pause before or after. This is evidence of faulty programming either in the emulator I use ('cept it's not :I ) or in the game itself (it must be).

...then again, maybe I am wrong. It MIGHT be about the right amount of force, positioning and directing of your blows, and the distance between you and your (3)DS (i/XL/Lite/Fat).

Still, there has to be SOMETHING wrong. It's either human error, or programming error. I'm leaning on the latter because you said yourself that the Flute is "really easy" to use. ;)

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think its obvious that these problems are too widespread and too common to be anything less that bad controls and/or programming on Nintendo's part.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's possible you have a knack for it I do not, but for the general population to have serious issues just play this thing. . . It's not OK.

The general population would struggle to beat AoL or SMB3. Not the game's fault though.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I do like the Spirit Flute. It is pretty much the most intuitive instrument yet, since it actually required precise timing and actual air to play. Being a drummer, I never actually had trouble with the rhythm part, but I can understand how some people did. It is ok to be a little off on the timing, but you can't be too far off or it doesn't work, which can make the instrument seem frustrating. I've also seen some people say that blowing into the mike is awkward, and that I can certainly agree with. It can definitely be weird trying to blow into the mic (which, for the longest time, I had no idea where it was, especially since it was moved from the DS Lite to the 3DS), using the correct rhythm, and hitting the correct notes, but that to me is what makes this particular instrument fun! It is a challenge to play, something that instruments in the series hadn't had prior to this (a trait which was arguably carried over to SS). I also love the looks and sound of the instrument. It actually inspired me to buy a pan flute of my own (in fact, the only instrument in the series I don't have is a harp and Deku Pipes... yes, I even have a conductor's baton). So overall, I think the Spirit Flute is an awesome instrument, I love it!

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I'm not a musical person, therefore, my rhythm was completely off.

Honestly, I'M a musical person and it STILL didn't work for me. The flute was definitely flawed in my opinion. It was an nice concept on paper, but the delivery felt...clunky. Even with good timing, the flute was much too specific, and tough for virtually anyone to handle (at least the people I've personally spoken to). Overall, I felt if they had used the flute with with the option of pressing a button (D-Pad or ABYX, depending on lefty or righty), it would've been better. The mic aspects just required too much specificity to be enjoyed. I felt light headed by the end of many songs...

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Just to clarify, I'm a musical person, and I can tell which button is the mic because it is labeled "mic". It's still functioning terribly.

Erhm....I'm sure it was a simple error, but the mic is not a button. Its kinda...the opposite of that.

It also might be your DS. I still agree, I don't like the flute, but DS machines function differently with age, and varying types. you never know. Although, a majority of games that used mics had poor mic qualities, such as recording sounds for Chatot in Pokemon. What should sound like a quick "hi!" turned out as "JHGFVJYGFJGV!". DS mic is kinda crappy. Who knows? I might've gotten a crappy mic too. Or, the game might purposely distort my recordings in that game. That is also another possibility.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The games requier skill. If it impedes some ones prgress becouse of a bad control set up then that is not good.

If I can make the controls work, so can you unless you are using an iron lung or something and went deaf.

Just to clarify, I'm a musical person, and I can tell which button is the mic because it is labeled "mic". It's still functioning terribly.

...I can only imagine what you must have done to your poor DS for it to be unable to get past the flute sections.

And I mean it. These flute sections are EXTREMELY generous. I can blow RANDOMLY into the flute and get past the songs.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm pretty sure it's a combination of user error, stuff getting stuck in (3)DS (i/XL/Lite/Phat/iXL), and the mics being terrible. Again, I play on emulator where the mic is literally "press K to use soundbit". Said emulator (DeSmuME btw) functions perfectly fine - it can even perform the DS close feature. So why is it that the noises from the mic is not detected 100% of the time? Not user error on my part - it's because the mic is just bad. Why else would we NOT have voice chat? :right:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Are you sure you know where the mic is?
DS Phat it's on the bottom left (it says mic)
View attachment 33273

Lite it's in the center
View attachment 33274

DSi it's also in the center.

View attachment 33275

3DS it's under the start button(very small and hard to notice)
View attachment 33276

As soon as I figured out where the mic was, I didn't have any issues.

If you have issues, then it's not a problem with the DS system itself, but rather either a problem with you or your particular DS (i.e. mic is broken). If you have issues on everyone's DS, then it's your fault, sorry.

W-What? That makes no sense at all. Grammar is over rated...?

Please tell me you're joking.

1. I'm not stupid (well not entirely). I know the mic is the thing above my touch pad with the word MIC carved into the plastic next to it.
2. I'm almost always joking, but with a hint of seriousness behind it. In conversational English even though "well" maybe grammatically correct in that situation but almost no one actually talks like that.
3. As long as i dnt talk leik dis, u no? Dose it matter? 111111 (and um, a few other numbers... hmm ) 3

and editing to point out as ventus above said,

Ya the DS mic's aren't the best in the world, I mean my DS is god knows how old, I mean i got it used, and its not fair to the players to expect their DS mics to function perfectly when its not even a necessary design choice. It was simply a choice to utilize the DS's mic to be like, oh hey remember that mic on the front of the DS no one uses?

And I don't have access to another DS to check my mic, when it functions this badly, any immersion it was attempting to create is lost as I get frustrated at the thing thinking i'm blowing when i'm not/ not blowing when I am. They could have just as easily been like we'll let them blow into the mic if they want, or push the L button to make Link blow. But i've never had problems with the mic before when it wasn't required to be used like that, I mean its just fine for blowing out candles/ using that leaf blower thing.

Maybe its not 50% of the players aren't capable of doing it, maybe 50% of DS's aren't because the low quality/aged hardware. And again thats bad design to rely on such an unneeded feature thats far from reliable. When a player feels they were defeated by the controls, and not a challenge, they screwed up.

I can not feel its my fault, when it thinks I'm blowing when I'm not and /or doesn't think I'm blowing when I am.

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
If I can make the controls work, so can you unless you are using an iron lung or something and went deaf.

...I can only imagine what you must have done to your poor DS for it to be unable to get past the flute sections.

And I mean it. These flute sections are EXTREMELY generous. I can blow RANDOMLY into the flute and get past the songs.

Don't assume. I had no problem. I know people who cant do it. It is seat up so awkwardly just like the rest of the controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom