• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks What Do Think of the Spirit Flute?

Spirit Flute: Hit or Miss

• Hit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miss

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Not user error on my part - it's because the mic is just bad. Why else would we NOT have voice chat? :right:

The DS mic was capable of supporting voice chat.

Perhaps the issue some people have stems from the fact that DS games which use the microphone don't require you to actually blow on it. The mic responds to sound, not air. The act of blowing causes the air to whistle over the tiny hole and the mic registers the sound, not the action. This how it 'knows' you are blowing. You could sing to your DS and as long as it pick up the noise, it'll think you're blowing on it. You could shout abusive names at it and it'd think you were blowing.

I remember playing the Ace Attorney games. They have a feature which allows you to say 'Objection!' when you wish to object and I used this feature a lot because I could say whatever I wanted. 'That's a damn lie!' or 'You can't handle the truth!' and every time I spoke it worked because the mic just wants a noise. I could have farted on it and got it to work, but I didn't want to get my DS all smelly. When Spirit Tracks wants you to blow on the flute the mic can fairly easily get confused by ambient noises. This is likely the reason why some people notice it playing notes when they aren't blowing. In the same way, they may produce no notes when they are blowing because too much noise in the mic and it just doesn't respond. Again, going back to Ace Attorney, you could never actually shout 'Objection!' because it would be too loud and not register. You had to just speak the word at a normal volume.

Not gonna say this is the root cause of everyone's issue with the Spirit Flute but it's something worth keeping in mind.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I said this because I didn't know where the mic was on the 3DS.

A lot of people talk like that. I talk like that. You should talk like that.

If blowing out candles works, and your other blowing functions work, then the spirit flute should work. I can't even imagine why it doesn't. Honestly, I've never had issues like the ones you and Ventus describe, and can't understand why you are having those issues.

Again, try to find someone who can do it and use their DS to see if it's a personal issue or if it's your system.
Because blowing out a candle doesn't require it acknowledge the timing of me blowing. Blowing out a candle doesn't fail if it thinks i'm still blowing extra.

And i think Cfrock is right, its looking for sound, not actual blowing. There is plenty of ambient noise here, which i can't get rid of. The mic isn't very high quality, and its only checking for noise itself. And it feels very delayed in addition to hoping it registers.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Said emulator (DeSmuME btw) functions perfectly fine - it can even perform the DS close feature. So why is it that the noises from the mic is not detected 100% of the time?

It's not making the "blow" effect? I can only assume it's emulator limitation. If an asthmatic teen can do it, then it's clearly not an issue. The only problems I've had is running out of breath from time to time.

Not user error on my part - it's because the mic is just bad. Why else would we NOT have voice chat? :right:

Weird...the fortune teller can tell what I'm saying.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
A hit for sure. I played Spirit Tracks only on my 3DS and while I did have a little trouble getting use to it, it was definitely a great addition. The Spirit Flute took great advantage of the hardware features the DS/3DS had to offer, and was a nice and interactive way to play the instrument unlike the goddess harp.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I thought the Spirit Flute was somewhat unique, but ehhh. It wasn't the absolute best concept in the world, and I dreaded having to duets each and every time; however, it was manageable. It wasn't a total miss nor a hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom