• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are Your Thoughts on the ATLA Live-Action Remake?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
A couple months ago Netflix released the teaser trailer for their upcoming live-action series of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

My immediate thoughts were excitement. I was, and still am, a bit cautious, but the teaser trailer left me very hyped. I loved the actor choices, and the costume designs. Everyone looked amazing, suki made my jaw drop, hah. I remember seeing Sokka for the first time in the teaser and being in disbelief at how accurate Ian Ousley was as him. They nailed his character honestly, I couldn't get over how much he looked like his cartoon counterpart.

On the winter solstice Netflix release a set of 6 pictures showing some of the more minor characters in the series:
avtr-unit-01819-1703120203770.jpg

AVTR_Unit_01332.jpg

AVTR_022_190_Promo_Still_20231207.jpg

AVTR_Unit_00962.jpg

AVTR_Unit_00483.jpg

AVTR_Unit_00710.jpg

Now 6 days ago they've released the official trailer:

Seeing this has just increased my enthusiasm for this series. I know it's not going to be as influential as the original, but I feel that it'll be a faithful adaption that'll appeal to many people who grew up with the show (or watched it later on). I can't wait for its premiere on February 22nd. Every time I see additional pictures or footage of the show I fall in love with it more and more.

What do you think of the series though? Apprehensive? Excited? Not into it?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I'm cautiously optimistic. The character designs, story, and music all seem faithful to the original animated version. But I'm still not a fan of the trend of remaking every animated classic in live action.
I agree, the trend isn't that great, especially in regard to disney *sigh*

Though there are some live-action films in recent years that have really stuck with me, especially The Jungle Book. They outdid themselves with that film tbh, by far my favorite disney live-action out of the ones I've seen. I'm really hoping ATLA's remake resonates the same (or better, even more) with me.

Even though there's a general trend, I can still recognize the good films outta the soulless cash grabs. Granted, they're probably all cash grabs hahahah, but goshdarnit, the good ones get my money :sweat:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I question the necessity of it.

The show looks okay so far based on the trailers, but the original show is still eminently watchable. If you throw on an episode of early ATLA then your first complaint is likely to be the aspect ratio, since it was just old enough to make the jump from 4:3 to 16:9.

I also just wish we got something new instead. Avatar has since introduced book adaptations of the lives of Kyoshi and Yangchen, two of the characters who preceded Aang, and they're really good. I'd much rather have seen something new put to form than for the show to bask in the radiance of its yesteryears.

Guinea

Basically Tingle
Hmm... interesting. I'll definitely check out the first episode to see how it goes.

gotta say, they're making it kinda hard to look forward to it

That's a shame because I feel like the more episodic scenarios added character development, not just for the heroes but also for the villains. Azula's team playing beach volleyball is still one of my favorite scenes in the original cartoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom