• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo What Are Your Hopes for Nintendo's Next Gen Console?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
With the previous gen wrapping up, once again Nintendo sits behind as Microsoft and Sony pioneer the next gen. The Switch should still have a few years left, but when it does come to the end of it's cycle how should Nintendo move forward?

What do you think Nintendo's Next Gen release will look like? Will it be akin to the Switch but with beefed up specs to handle 4K gaming, like is rumored? Should Nintendo maintain it's dual functionality with it's next gen release, or move on from this feature?

Personally, I don't care about 4K or any of that. I also never really use the handheld mode for the Switch anymore. I just use a monitor or a TV, and I miss the days of having a dedicated handheld platform like the GBA, DS, or 3DS. I still love both of my 3DSs, and if I didn't already have the original Switch, I would think about getting a Switch Lite (but not over the console model). For the next generation, I want a no-nonsense console like the Gamecube. It's been 14 years since the main Nintendo console didn't have some sort of weird gimmick. I like gimmicks, but they limit developers to building their games around them rather then making them accessible and timeless. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have aged much, much better on the Gamecube than Skyward Sword has on the Wii, because the technology of the Wii Motion Plus has become outdated and clunky by many people's standards. I want a console with a normal controller (the Switch Pro Controller is a great starting point), a solid and sturdy exterior design, and a system capable of running modern games in high resolution with stable framerate.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I definitely want them to maintain the tv/handheld dual functionality. Handheld master race. I can't stand sitting in front of a tv or pc for extended times to game, but I will roll around on my bed while playing handheld switch for hours with no complaints. I want them to keep hooking me on that.

I don't really give a damn about 4K and specs. I don't care about next gen or superior tech. I want the console that lets me play the games I like the way I like, and right now, that's only Nintendo.

What I want is for Nintendo to keep the Switch design but with more powerful specs but I suspect they will try to incorporate a popular feature in a very Nintendo way like they did with glasses free 3D on the 3DS. That fad died out and all the focus is on VR now. Nintendo has already experimented with Labo VR but I suspect their next system will use it much more extensively.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
More onboard storage space would be nice. I’m happy for the hybrid nature of the system to continue as I quite like how that works. While I’ve never been one to care too much about specs or graphics I do think that the next gen Nintendo console should at least support 4K or else it will be super behind the pack. That being said, so long as they keep bringing good games I’ll buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom