• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Were the towns in BotW big enough?

In the BotW trailers the quick glimpses of the likes of Gerudo town and Hateno made many of us think that they'd be a lot larger than they ended up being.

I was a little disappointed with the towns and villages in BotW. I did think they were a little too small given the size of the world.

Would you have liked bigger towns and villages or were they a good size for you?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would have liked to have seen bigger more bustling towns. Especially since it is a wish of mine to see a more advanced hyrule than we have seen. Of course a big town is only good if they have interesting NPC's to fill them. Making Goron city bigger for instance would have been pointless as the gorons we got pretty much all sucked a bigger city full of more sucky gorons would have been just as bad if not worse than what we got. But somewhere like Zoras domain which was full of interesting and likeable characters anyway could have done with being bigger and more lively as that would have made it even better.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I get that it was a kind of post-apocalyptic world, so no bustling cities was to be expected, but I would have liked larger towns for sure. Hateno was pretty good in size, so more towns of that size would have been very welcome. Tarrey Town could barely be called a town, it was so small.

Ninja

Well well well
In the BotW trailers the quick glimpses of the likes of Gerudo town and Hateno made many of us think that they'd be a lot larger than they ended up being.

I was a little disappointed with the towns and villages in BotW. I did think they were a little too small given the size of the world.

Would you have liked bigger towns and villages or were they a good size for you?

The villages being small I can live with. You see places like Hateno and Lurelin that are fitting to be small, tightly knit communities with their own way of life, and their own pastimes.

However, I would love to have seen big towns in the game, that developed over the course of the game. It would have been refreshing to have a "New Hyrule Castle Town" pop up somewhere that's extremely busy with tons of places to visit. In BotW, all you have are small villages with a couple of sidequests, and ruins upon ruins. God there are so many of them. I get that it's a post apocalyptic game and all, but some measurable recovery and emotion from the NPC's would have been nice.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Normally they'd be fine, but given how ridiculously big the world was, they should have been bigger.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I was disappointed with Gerudo Town. They made it out to be so much more grand than it actually was...

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
They could have given us a way bigger town or at least three or four bigger towns. The overworld is very big so they could have spread out the smaller villages over the map with at least three big towns to do and explore many stuff. Tarrey Town was very small and shouldn't even be called a town. Even though it is a very cute place.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Even if the towns weren't bigger maybe more of them? There's so much space on the map which is either ruin or nothingness

The towns were WAY too small ... like pathetically small. At a minimum, I feel they should have been at least 5x larger in overall size, in all respects ... geographical coverage/area ... number of buildings/houses/shops/etc ... number of people in the towns ... things to do in the towns ...

The only exception I think I can give would be Zora's Domain. The entirety of that "area" or "settlement" is pretty large ... but the reality is that it's not much actual "stuff". Mostly it's just walkways around the main area. That place doesn't physically need to take up 5x more geography, but even as awesome as it is, it should have been "bigger" and feel more like a real town. I get it though ... they are "fish" ... they live in the water, so no need for homes etc. But, at the same time, it would have been nice for there to be more "stuff" there. It just felt more like a simple "gathering space" vs. a "town".

I tend to think logically, so I would ask if every person that you see has their own bed to sleep in? Just because some are travelling doesn't mean they don't have to sleep somewhere, or have a permanent house "back home". I think that should have been taken into account when building the villages. I also think there should have been some houses by the stables, especially the more remote ones like the one in Hebra, those people that work there or appear to live in the area have to stay somewhere other than the beds in the stable. More "cabins in the woods" would make sense too, there were only a couple of those but I would expect more in this kind of society.

Aku

Kinda. I think what didn't work so well was not that there were small towns, but that tne game still follows the 'tradition' of 'one settlement per non-human/non-Hylian race.' If there were multiple settlements of the other races, maybe the towns' sizes might not feel so... inadequate?

I think maybe this might be something they could use to 'fill out' a bigger and better Hyrule (if they decide to go even bigger next game) if they decide to have multiple Gerudo settlements, multiple Goron settlements, multiple Zora settlements, etc. We could see Sea Zoras and River Zoras, different attitudes and traditions that arise in the Gerudo settlements, and have some Goron settlements up in the snowy mountains or down by the sea, mining the different ores and rocks to be found in those places, developing their own cultures rather then just the 'typical' culture you see in Goron City.

I mean, you see these guys travelling right? Why is it that only Hylians have multiple settlements but these guys always seem to perpetually be one-town-wonders?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
No, I wish they were bigger. Each one had lots of personality and I was sad to see how small they were

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I felt they were a pretty good size considering Hyrule is suppose to be based on medieval times. It's about what I expected.
Though you would think they would be more industrialized in 10,000 years with bigger towns and cities.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I would have preferred a higher civilization/no-man's-land ratio, even at the expense of the overall world size.
So much open space got a little boring at times.

Majoras-Light

Gatekeeper
I think the villages could've been much bigger with some more immersive side quests than what we were given. It almost hurt that Zora's Domain was so relatively small. Definitely my favorite place in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom