• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"we think there’s a strong opportunity for a dedicated amiibo-centric game" - Reggie Fils-Aimé

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I have huge respect for Reggie, but this Amiibo thing just seems awful.

I read this wrong at first, I thought you said, “I have huge respect for Reggie, but this Amiibo thing just sounds amazing.”

I was like, “No Jc, just no... not you...” Then I looked at it again and read it right and was like,“Thank you.”

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I would be more interested if amiibos were not so much a pain in the ass to collect. Some are so rare and the scalpers are just happy as all get out.

Salem

SICK
What if the game was free to play and the only cost were the Amiibo? Would that change your opinion on this?

Past that I do agree with what you've said.
That still doesn't solve the problem of lack supply of amiibos. Also even if Nintendo made an appropriate amount of amiibos, good for them, that makes the Amiibo-centric game potentially non-timeless.
Like 10 years from now, would Nintendo continue to produce Amiibos? if they don't wouldn't this render the Amiibo game unplayable for future generation?

Last edited:
That still doesn't solve the problem of lack supply of amiibos. Also even of Nintendo mad an appropriate amount of amiibos, good for them, that makes the Amiibo-centric game potentially non-timeless.
Like 10 years from now, would Nintendo continue to produce Amiibos? if they don't wouldn't this render the Amiibo game unplayable for future generation?
I am aware of this. I was more asking people's opinion on this. But the $5 digital amiibo idea I mentioned above does solve the issue. That way you'd always have the ingame content accessible for $5 (or maybe $10) per amiibo but the plastic physical figures availability would not affect your enjoyment of any Nintendo game.

Hopefully they'll bundle it in "starter packs"
The starter pack would contain a few digital amiibo and for anymore you'd just tap in the physical ones you own or purchase more digital ones to play the game with.

Salem

SICK
I am aware of this. I was more asking people's opinion on this. But the $5 digital amiibo idea I mentioned above does solve the issue. That way you'd always have the ingame content accessible for $5 (or maybe $10) per amiibo but the plastic physical figures availability would not affect your enjoyment of any Nintendo game.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of Amiibos?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of Amiibos?
No. Nintendo had talked about having Amiibo cards too. Not the Animal Crossing ones, but cards of the amiibo we already have now, purely for people who want the ingame bonuses only. If they were digital, Nintendo would not have to make the cards and people would still have the ingame functionality of the amiibo.

Salem

SICK
No. Nintendo had talked about having Amiibo cards too. Not the Animal Crossing ones, but cards of the amiibo we already have now, purely for people who want the ingame bonuses only. If they were digital, Nintendo would not have to make the cards and people would still have the ingame functionality of the amiibo.
But then why make it about Amiibos? If owning a real Amiibo is irrelevant to the Amiibo-centric game, than why make that game be about Amiibos? Aren't Amiibos are just Action figures(with some software) based on Nintendo and some third party characters. If you don't require them for a new Amiibo-based game, why even call that game Amiibo?

Last edited:
But then why make it about Amiibos? If owning a real Amiibo os irrelevant to the Amiibo-centric game, than why make that game be about Amiibos? Aren't Amiibos are just Action figures(with some software) based on Nintendo and some third party characters. If you don't require them for a new Amiibo-based game, why even call that game Amiibo?
I agree with you 100%. But I think it would be more about a branding issue. People know what amiibo is. Nintendo would not have to do too much advertising to get it to sell. And it's a good way to get the more niche characters into the game and advertise them so when their separate games come out, people already know the character. The same thing happens in Smash bros all the time. Also you could also make up a totally new character amiibo for the amiibo game as a test. To see if there is enough interest in the character for someone to make a totally new game based around that character.

I get what you are trying to say. And this would be Nintendo's choice to make Amiibo more than just the physical figures. In Smash Bros it feels like that. Sure you still have to tap in the NFC chip but you are fighting the amiibo in game. And that's the issue we have. If you make it about the physical figures only, then supply constraints will anger people when they can't find their favourite character to tap into the game. But if you have the digital amiibo as well then there's no supply constraint issues but then some people might get the feeling that the physical toys feel a little irrelevant as you say. Just a few points to consider.

Salem

SICK
I agree with you 100%. But I think it would be more about a branding issue. People know what amiibo is. Nintendo would not have to do too much advertising to get it to sell. And it's a good way to get the more niche characters into the game and advertise them so when their separate games come out, people already know the character. The same thing happens in Smash bros all the time. Also you could also make up a totally new character amiibo for the amiibo game as a test. To see if there is enough interest in the character for someone to make a totally new game based around that character.

I get what you are trying to say. And this would be Nintendo's choice to make Amiibo more than just the physical figures. In Smash Bros it feels like that. Sure you still have to tap in the NFC chip but you are fighting the amiibo in game. And that's the issue we have. If you make it about the physical figures only, then supply constraints will anger people when they can't find their favorite character to tap into the game. But if you have the digital amiibo as well then there's no supply constraint issues but then some people might get the feeling that the physical toys feel a little irrelevant as you say. Just a few points to consider.
Wait, now that I think about, the branding issue makes sense, but it still sounds weird though.

The thing is, I was under impression that the Amiibo concept was an extension/offshoot of Smash Bros., so when the idea that "here's game centered on Amiibos" isn't that just "Smash Bros."?

I know Amiibos have expanded beyond Smash Bros. but that's what it started out as.

Another thing I worry about, putting aside the physical Amiibos, you mentioned before downloading digital Amiibos that cost money, isn't that just a regular microtransaction? What it seems like you're suggesting is making a game where you pay 5 to 10 $ to buy playable characters, and they have different abilites stats. etc., do you really that sounds appealing? Didn't certain microtransaction have a bad rap recently? All I'm saying is I worry how they might be handled, I know Nintendo is not an EA, but still.

Last edited:

The starter pack would contain a few digital amiibo and for anymore you'd just tap in the physical ones you own or purchase more digital ones to play the game with.

No, no, no. See if I'm going to buy a game like this, I want it to be amiibo-centric proper. I don't want cards, or buy digital blah blah. I want my cool little collectibles that can hold lotsa information and be forward compatible and customizable stats and have whichever amiibo I own, villains and heros alike, go on an epic adventure. Like how Skylanders and Infinity does it. So fix your stock issues and make them have good in-game uses if you please Nintendo, because there is no game I've been dreaming about more since Skylanders first came out and ever since you announced your own toys to life brand. I would get on my knees and beg you to take my money for such a game and I know I'm not the only one who would.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
No, no, no. See if I'm going to buy a game like this, I want it to be amiibo-centric proper. I don't want cards, or buy digital blah blah. I want my cool little collectibles that can hold lotsa information and be forward compatible and customizable stats and have whichever amiibo I own, villains and heros alike, go on an epic adventure. Like how Skylanders and Infinity does it. So fix your stock issues and make them have good in-game uses if you please Nintendo, because there is no game I've been dreaming about more since Skylanders first came out and ever since you announced your own toys to life brand. I would get on my knees and beg you to take my money for such a game and I know I'm not the only one who would.
Yeah they really do need to fix the amount of Amiibos they put out. Also how they put them out. I don't mind store exclusives to much as long as the stores get enough. I'd perfer if store exclusives were like the gold and silver marios. Different colors or skins for in game but you can still get a mario at other stores. I wish for Jigglypuff with a hat for target but i can still get jigglypuff at walmart. Also that bloody squid amiibo!!!!! F that Amiibo 3 pack for an american exclusive squid but sell it in a separate package in japan!! So bloody unfair.

Yeah they really do need to fix the amount of Amiibos they put out. Also how they put them out. I don't mind store exclusives to much as long as the stores get enough. I'd perfer if store exclusives were like the gold and silver marios. Different colors or skins for in game but you can still get a mario at other stores. I wish for Jigglypuff with a hat for target but i can still get jigglypuff at walmart. Also that bloody squid amiibo!!!!! F that Amiibo 3 pack for an american exclusive squid but sell it in a separate package in japan!! So bloody unfair.

You could always import the squid, but I think the inkling kids are really cool too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom