• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Water Temples

purplelink

Who started saying Big Mood
Ok why do people hate water temples so much? To hard, confusing, and fustrating. No water temples are awesome. How are they hard it only takes me at least a two days mabye less mostly because I memorize things even then you just use resources, the OoT water temple is when you want Navi. Use maps, clues, and YOUR BRAIN!!!

So what do you think are water temples easy or hard?

I think one of the things that makes a Water Temple so interesting, and in a few cases difficult, is the intricacy they have within them. Usually a Water Temple, or anything closely resembling one has some element that makes the dungeon unique. In this case, with the Ocarina of Time Water Temple, we saw the level design. Multi-leveled with an incredibly complex water mechanic. Along with the level design itself, Link, as well as the player is presented a challenge in the form of one of Link's most incredible enemies.

Dark Link.

A challenge standing alone out of any other boss. The amount of creepiness you feel when you first walk in to the room is..palpable. Without the proper knowledge of this enemy, he will most likely mess you up without any problems. It's a creepy situation, being presented with a copy cat Link. Doing everything he did, every move he made met with the exact same sword swing. And in the end, when you defeat him, it was one of the crowning moments in the game, almost as great as earning the Master Sword for the first time.

Along the other games within the series, the Water temple is met with hesitation, as well as admiration in its design, enemy content, mechanics, and the overall flow it has in between the games. It connects you more closely to the task at hand, allowing you to have a great sense of accomplishment after you complete it. It's going to be interesting to see if SS has a Water Temple, and if it does, we'll have to see if it compares well with the others in the Series.

A lot of people think these temples are hard but they're actually not after you think about it. The hardest part in my opinion is collecting the small keys and the boss key, other than that its just the layout of the temples that throw people off. the control over the waters flow is also a key factor, i actually had a harder time figuring out Majora's Mask's Great Bay temple than Ocarina of Time's because of the water's flow.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Just the overall lay out I think. They take a little longer with the puzzles and a good bit of the time it seems like you're doing the same thing over and over again. That's the only reasons why I usually don't like the water temples.

The only thing I found annoying about the Water Temple in OoT was the changing the water level, and the constant switch between your boots.

Djinn

and Tonic
I have always thought the real source of aggravation with them is that the entire temple itself is a puzzle. Most of the other dungeons in the series are a chain of various puzzle and enemy rooms each unlocking some later area of the dungeon in order. Sometimes there will be a large room that requires the player to unlock two or three things in the surrounding rooms to complete before moving on. But the Water temples, normally the entire dungeon is a large complex puzzle with each side hallway or room only leads to a small lever that does some sort of event, typically releasing water into or out of a room, leaving the player to wander back into the main giant room to look around and discover just what changed and what else is open to explore next.

On top of that there is the fact that terrain changes because it is a water temple. From solid land to pools of water, to rushing water causing you to slip, then caves deep underwater. You have to constantly switch over to the iron boots for some spots, and switch off in case you are attacked by a water based enemy, which are more annoying to kill than normal land based ones. And messing up or not switching quick enough often leads to sliding down huge water slides that took twenty minutes to trek up or missing a hanging lever that was supposed to release the water into the room. Then other things like switching armor/tunics are needed as well, although this was not necessary in TP.

So between having to change clothes and boots constantly, fighting enemies out of your element, very low visibility while underwater causing people to miss certain areas like small tunnels or buttons, annoyingly complex superpuzzles that make up the entire dungeon create one seriously annoying situation. While most other temples do not require all the many changes of tunics and boots, or manipulations of a single substance like water to open up further areas of the dungeon. Fire and Forest temples never give me nearly as much trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom