• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Was the Wish On The Triforce Completely Pointless?

I thought Link wished for Demise to be sealed, but oh Ghirahim found a loophole, meaning Link's wish meant absolutely nothing. This is the freakin' Triforce created by the THREE FREAKIN' GODDESSES! If Demise concurred time, I'm pretty sure they did too. If Link wished for the destruction of Demise, that's what he should've gotten, because he made a wish on THE Triforce.

Thoughts?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Completely and totally pointless, indeed. However, I believe there is a quick and easy explanation for this pointlessness. The Triforce is supposed to grant the wish of whoever has it in its completed form, yes? Well, if Link explicitly wished for the destruction of Demise, Demise in his whole existence would've been nuked to oblivion. What I think Link wished for, though, is for the destruction of Demise in the Present. That's a parameter that had to be met, in the present, so Demise's previous existence wasn't erased. /mytakeonthesubject

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
One could look at it as pointless since Demise was still revived in the past, but one would overlooking the facts with such a statement. The whole point of that happening was so that Demise could finally be revealed and be faced as the final boss. If the game had ended with The Imprisoned being destroyed, that wouldn't have been very satisfactory. No final boss? Laaame. Final boss? Goood. The event also helps the buildup to his resurrection, as it leaves you feeling helpless. You've already wished upon the Triforce, so you know there's nothing else you can do to prevent it other than confronting Ghirahim. That's a good plot element, and it's one I'm glad they used. Demise's resurrection and fight just wouldn't have been climactic and noteworthy without this event in my opinion.

So, was it pointless? Absolutely not.

Since defeating Demise in the past is what sets the stage for the present, where Demise is beginning to escape his imprisonment, using the Triforce to destroy Demise in the present still eliminates him in the present.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Well, if Link didn't make that wish, Ghirahim would have revived him in the present. You would have to fight Demise there too. If you defeated him, Ghirahim still could have gone to the past and revived him there again. So there was in fact point to it so that you did not have to fight Demise twice with the second time being more aware of your abilities.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
No. The timeline and story of Skyward Sword form a causality loop, meaning that everything that happens in both the present and past need to happen to fulfill each other. The wish to eradicate Demise was successful and eradicated Demise in the present, because of Ghirahim however Link was forced to go to the past and defeat Demise there. In the past Link seals away Demise's consciousness leaving the Imprisoned to be squashed in the present.

Notice how Fi says "sealed away".
Fi Demise Sealed.jpg

For extra reading:
Predestination paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fun Fact: If by some fluke Ghirahim was like "screw you guys, I'm goin home" and didn't go back in time to revive Demise, the events of SS would unravel and there would be no timeline. So in essence Ghirahim is kinda the hero of the timeline. :lol:

Last edited:

Skunk

Floof
Sure. I'll say it's pointless. The wish on the Triforce was just sorta,... wasted? I mean, Link could have wished for Demise to be good, or somehing like that.

Djinn

and Tonic
I think there are a couple key things that are not really brought up much here. First of all is that Link might not really understand the full scope of the abilities of the triforce and what it could do if he fully understood that just about any desire of his could be granted from wishing. In the backstory of ALTTP it was stated that many people did not pay much attention to the triforce until the book of mudora was written that caused people to become fascinated with it and others to have an overwhelming greed for it.
If it were only a symbol of the gods, the Triforce would be coveted by many. But a verse from the Book of Mudora (a collection of Hylian legends and lore) made the Triforce even more desirable:
Link of OoT and ALTTP knew all about the triforce and what it was capable of, but Link of SS did not really know about it at all. Only that it was some sacred relic of the gods and that Demise wanted it. He mostly learned of its existence and what it could do during the course of the adventure but was probably very unaware that it had the ability to actually grant any wish no matter how extreme. Later Links were taught that the triforce could grant any wish and even then heard of the legend of Ganon and what he accomplished with it so they might have used their imaginations with it some more.

Also there is a possibility that Link simply did not understand the more complex concepts of time travel and causality. That killing Demise here would not mean much if taken to the past, or that a past Demise would even come into the picture at all. That a simple wish for killing him would be enough and did not give any thoughts to killing for all time or erasing from the universe. Just quickly wishing to kill Demise in general. Plus we learn from the triforce in ALTTP that there are degrees in which it will grant a wish depending on the person making the wish.

Triforce will grant the
wishes in the heart and mind of
the person who touches it.

If a person with a good heart
touches it, it will make his good
wishes come true... If an evil-
hearted person touches it, it
grants his evil wishes.

The stronger the wish, the
more powerful the Triforce's
expression of that wish.

It could be possible that Link did not strongly express his wish to kill Demise and only wanted the nuisance of the imprisoned removed. Then the triforce did the bare minimum. He had defeated it a few times by that point and probably somewhere in the back of his mind did not consider the imprisoned as huge a threat as he should have. Still considering Ghirahim to be the more troublesome threat to the world.

You-Know-Who

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
In hiding... waiting to kill Harry Potter....
Uhh, no. When Link traveled to the past and sealed Demise in the Master Sword, only his Humanoid form was trapped. His beast form was still alive in the Sealed Temple for thousands of years. When the present Link wished to destroy Demise, he destroyed the Imprisoned, who (without a sub-conscience) wanted to destroy everything.

Well..... at least thats MY theory :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom