• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Motion Control Any Good ?

The motion controls weren't that bad to me. Yeah they hiccuped but I think that was because I was either too close or too far from the sensor because it does that in other games too. I liked how you had to balance on the rope and control the bug with the remote. It was pretty cool in my opinion.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Personally, I love the motion controls. I don't think I've ever had to re-calibrate, and I don't have to re-center the cursor very often. I love the 1:1 ratio for swordplay, and I also like how items like the Bow and the Beetle are controlled. Their controls are pretty smooth. I also really like how flying the Loftwing works. It's really easy, and once again, very smooth. I thought having to balance with the wii remote while walking across ropes was interesting, and I really like how you can jostle the rope to knock enemies off. I also enjoy the boss key puzzles too. Turning the key so it would fit into the lock was pretty neat.

All in all, I have absolutely no complaints. I love the controls. They matched my expectations. Actually, I think it would be fair to say they exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
My opinion of the motion controls varied from what I was doing. Swordsplay and aiming, yeah, it was really cool since you could specifically point at where you wanted to aim and how you wanted to slice.

However, the thing I very much dislike would have to be the bombs and the beetle. The bombs are a pain to roll and throw because you have to be very specific with the controller, and not do a nice, friendly rolling motion that you could do in Wii Sports bowling. As for the Beetle, you may be wondering: why would you hate the beetle? My answer is that the aiming isn't bad to start it off (since you can reset the controller), but once it's flying, sometimes the controls can get off, and you can't take them back until you land back with Link.

There are a few things about the swordsplay that I don't appreciate, though. One thing is that if you do a very quick motion and then try to do so with a different angle, it may register a completely different angle than what you may have put in. My biggest rival with the game, though, would have to be the sword thrust. I can never get that to work. >.<

Aside from those complaints, though, I do applaude the controls and want to see what could be possible when the WiiU comes out this winter, since we already have a bit of a hint with it with the NintendoLand demo.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
The masses aren't good at motion controls, though. You gotta ease in to it, otherwise people are going to complain about it being too hard. Too many people have complained that SS's controls were unintuitive as is. Doing complete 1:1 would have caused... really bad complaints.

I mentioned that, largely because Nintendo never capitalized on 1:1 motion in almost any game save Sports Resort. Nintendo brought it upon itself. Looking forward to more precise controls in Zelda: Wii U

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Personally, I love the motion controls. I don't think I've ever had to re-calibrate, and I don't have to re-center the cursor very often. I love the 1:1 ratio for swordplay, and I also like how items like the Bow and the Beetle are controlled. Their controls are pretty smooth. I also really like how flying the Loftwing works. It's really easy, and once again, very smooth. I thought having to balance with the wii remote while walking across ropes was interesting, and I really like how you can jostle the rope to knock enemies off. I also enjoy the boss key puzzles too. Turning the key so it would fit into the lock was pretty neat.

All in all, I have absolutely no complaints. I love the controls. They matched my expectations. Actually, I think it would be fair to say they exceeded my expectations.

This is basically how I felt. I honestly can't sympathize with those who complain that SS's controls were laggy, unresponsive, or horrible. I rarely ever experienced any form of unresponsiveness from the controls, and even when I did, it was really nothing major and shouldn't be enough to call the game broken. Sure, the controls weren't perfect -- but then again, no game's controls have ever been, and they never will be. All in all, I loved the controls; SS really made me feel differently about motion controls. I really could have cared less about them before the game's release; afterwards I can't help feel that reverting back to traditional controls after SS would be taking a major step backwards.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I liked the motion controls allot, but what I really missed was the hidden skills, in particular the back slice. Everything else was great.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I'm kind of 50/50 on the whole motion controls concept. I think that's mainly because I can't fly the loftwings at all. Seriously, the first time I tried, it took me ages to actually comprehend how to fly one. I just kept falling through the clouds and not going anywhere. I don't think so much motion and random controls were required there to be honest; it could have just been simpler. But having said that, the first thing I did when I got the game was swing my controller about for a long time because the sword was so fun to use. I love the sword control because it really makes the game interactive and real. I'm not so keen on some of the exact patterns needed to kill certain enemies though, but only because my hand eye co-ordination sucks. If I'm in the mood to stand up or lean forward enough so that I don't hit someone with my remote then that's great but if I'm not, I don't like the bigger movements needed. I liked swinging on vines and fighting certain enemies and throwing things about though, because I felt more involved with the game. But if I want to sit back and relax, it's a little annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom