• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Volvagia's Helmet or Real Head?

S

ShadowLinkx

I don't think this was discussed before but is Volvagia wearing/have on his head, to me it looks like some kind of iron-like helmet, my bro and another thinks its something that was just there from birth. I think its a helmet, who knows? Maybe during the time he was first defeated he didn't wear anything, and probably thats how the Goron defeated him, and when he was revived by Ganondorf he got equipped with a helmet for protection from the Megaton Hammer. Yeah I make up the craziest theories eh? What do you think? :triforce:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Did my comment in our small VM conversation make you start this Thread?(Just curious please send a VM saying if our conversation did.)

You bring up that maybe Ganondorf when he revived Volvagia put a helmet on that is a possibility but I think that Volvagia doesn't have a helmet.

Last edited:
S

ShadowLinkx

lol sorry, this whole thing actually started between me and my bro, I said it was a helmet and he said it was a head, so after a while I ended it by shoving him out my door. And then I went here on ZD and Hylian Knight said it was a real head. So you kinda indirectly started it :P but the majority is my bro. Helmet he wears! ;)

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I don't think the mask was part of his head. It's pretty similar to the Helmaroc King in WW. He had a mask, and it was prabably put on by Ganondorf because it broke off. So I think this is a similar situation, and I think it was put on by Ganondorf when he revived Volvagia.

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
It looks like a helmet but the problem is that a helmet shouldn't cover the horns since they would either fall off occasionally or would continuously grow. So a helmet like that would be a health risk. So it may just be natural armor like a dodongo, which is really odd itself, I can't tell if the gray section of a dodongo's head is just a different color, hardened skin, or full on plating.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I believe it is Volvagia's real head. If you look closely, you see what I mean.

Din Akera

Sniper
I don't think this was discussed before but is Volvagia wearing/have on his head, to me it looks like some kind of iron-like helmet, my bro and another thinks its something that was just there from birth.

It is definitely part of his/her head. I think it is bone matter, or some other really hard and really thick organic matter.

volvagia.gif

If you look at the image closely it does look like it is part of the dragon's head. Especially around the eyes. Helmets do not contour to your eyes like that, even if they are cut/made for you. This is also evident in the nostrils, which I realize are hard to see in this picture. But from in game images during the battle, it is easier to see what I mean.

Maybe during the time he was first defeated he didn't wear anything, and probably thats how the Goron defeated him, and when he was revived by Ganondorf he got equipped with a helmet for protection from the Megaton Hammer. Yeah I make up the craziest theories eh? What do you think? :triforce:

"A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" ~ Goron Link, found roling around Goron City on adult timeline.

This quote is what i believe you are referring too. But, it simply says that Ganon revived the dragon in the game, and you contradict the in game fact with your theory. Volvagia is defeated by the megaton hammer the first time, yes. But Link then defeats him/her again with the same hammer. If Ganondorf had given Volvagia a helmet to protect her, it certainly didn't help at ALL.

It looks like a helmet but the problem is that a helmet shouldn't cover the horns since they would either fall off occasionally or would continuously grow. So a helmet like that would be a health risk. So it may just be natural armor like a dodongo

I would agree. Horns do pose a problem and would probably be something hard for Ganon to predict in creating a helmet to fit her head.

Another point I would like to make is once Volvagia is killed, her head falls at your feet, the plate still in tacked on her face. I would think if it was a helmet and intended by Nintendo to be a helmet it would probably fall off and have a dramatic crack and explode, like past and future bosses have. In addition it has changed color, which as a biologist, would indicate to me that there was a change with death, like a loss of blood flow. Helmets would not do this.

Picture1-4.png

I think the dragon simply, evolutionarily has a really hard head. The organic rock/bone has protected her and is probably partly responsible for begin able to live in a lava pit. lol. It is an evolutionary advantage, until someone made that hammer. ;)

S

ShadowLinkx

Wow, all this time I thought Volvagia was wearing a helmet, the things that convinced me were how if you closely at his picture just below his left horn you see the ridges point outwards, next when Volvagia was killed and regressed to skeletal remains everything but the upper-half of his head were skeletal and this made me believe that it was a helmet, this one time I threw this carved rocky mask into a fire (I found in a junkyard) and when the fire burned out it was all charred and sooty but what Din Akera said that all these villains masks were usually broken off in mid-battle maybe its because the masks were made out of anything but hard rock, possibly ceramic material, actually so far the only villains I know who wear masks are Helmaroc King and (Debatable) Volvagia, yeah... I only played LoZ, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and a portion of the Wind Waker. And finally the manga, I read on another thread here that the OoT manga was canon so because I read it I saw that Baby Volvagia had his horns (Though they're tiny) but no helmet... although I do see some rocky-ridges on the sides of his face....

Okay, that is looking way too far into it! A health risk for a dragon...how do we know what is a health risk for a dragon? It really doesn't matter to me but by what I've gained from fighting this guy a billion times I would say that it is a helmet (how else would it take so many hits with the megaton hammer?).

S

ShadowLinkx

I also have another reason to support the helmet theory, when you hit his head when an arrow it makes a metal-clang, when you hit his body it makes no sound...

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
The same sound is heard when Link hits a dodongo's front. An explanation for people who aren't familiar with the health risks involved horn/tooth growth or can't make the connection with the lack of information I had in my post: Dall sheep have horns that grow over their lifetime Volvagia's horns are similar, apperantly growing in segments. After being fitted into a helmet they would slowly put pressure on the dragon's skull/the helmet. The end result being a helmet with the horn sections torn off or a fractured skull, depending on the metal.

It is definitely part of his/her head. I think it is bone matter, or some other really hard and really thick organic matter.

"A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" ~ Goron Link, found roling around Goron City on adult timeline.

I would agree. Horns do pose a problem and would probably be something hard for Ganon to predict in creating a helmet to fit her head.

Another point I would like to make is once Volvagia is killed, her head falls at your feet, the plate still in tacked on her face.

I think the dragon simply, evolutionarily has a really hard head. The organic rock/bone has protected her and is probably partly responsible for begin able to live in a lava pit. lol. It is an evolutionary advantage, until someone made that hammer. ;)

Why the hell are people calling Volvagia a girl? Right there in quotes it says HE! This legitimately bugs me... There is no evidence that he's a girl at all. The only two things I've seen where people have given a reason is hair, which in itself bugs me... its a mane people, and that he's "chesty" which considering it's where his arms are will be safe to say it's his sternum where his heart, lungs, and shoulder blades would be located. This calling Volvagia a girl is really starting to get to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom