• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Voice Acting in Zelda!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
If a developer states something that he created has always been intended, it's objective that it's the case. Even if it was badly conveyed (which it hasn't been).

No, whether or not Link is a proxy is a subjective matter than can only be substantiated on an individual basis. Doesn't matter whether the developers intended for Link to be one thing or another; the player is prone to interpret him as something completely different. Link is nothing set-in-stone. He's whatever the player makes him, respectively.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hmm...it seems this thread is a little off track; this thread is about voice acting in Zelda, not about Link being a proper avatar or a character. So, to steer things back on course, I think my initial statement about voice acting being solely in Japanese could be a bit offensive to some, and detracting from the game experience to others. That obviously isn't fair, so of course multiple languages would need to be involved IF the series ever saw fully voiced scenes. Or, if you still prefer voice-less scenes, Nintendo could just as easily included a "voice FX" option int he Options menu, to turn the voice acting off! :yes:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
They still consider it fact TODAY. You seem to fail to understand this.

And as I have said, numerous times, the way Link is portrayed in-game makes me and plenty of others think otherwise. If you have a direct quote for me from the development of Skyward Sword or Spirit Tracks or something then I will concede the point, as that will demonstrate that it is still their philosophy and they just aren't achieving it. If not then my point still stands, that Link being this 'proxy' is not an absolute.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
And as I have said, numerous times, the way Link is portrayed in-game makes me and plenty of others think otherwise. If you have a direct quote for me from the development of Skyward Sword or Spirit Tracks or something then I will concede the point, as that will demonstrate that it is still their philosophy and they just aren't achieving it. If not then my point still stands, that Link being this 'proxy' is not an absolute.

"The most important thing about the Zelda series is that the player becomes Link. One of the challenges with full voice is that if we're trying to convey the player's emotion through Link, but you hear Link talking in somebody else's voice, that creates a disconnect between you and the role that you're taking on."

Case closed.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I'm pretty indifferent to the concept of voice acting in Zelda, but I think the big reason they don't do that is so you have the ability to name Link whatever you wanted.

(I, personally just go for the default name because I'm uncreative... but that's completely irrelevant.)

caleb11roy

Hero of Rhyme
I'm pretty indifferent to the concept of voice acting in Zelda, but I think the big reason they don't do that is so you have the ability to name Link whatever you wanted.

(I, personally just go for the default name because I'm uncreative... but that's completely irrelevant.)

Well in Final Fantasy 10 they had voice acting and you could name the main character what ever you want and they made it work fine. I believe Nintendo should create the hylian language and incorporate it in to the voice acting. Also even in text voice, Link has never talked so why start now!

If they do include voice acting, they should only do it in Hylian Tongue.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
If they do include voice acting, they should only do it in Hylian Tongue.

This seems like a huge waste of time to me, Why hire voice actors to record a language that nobody can understand?

I would understand if they removed text and only had English voice, or just kept text and no voice. But to me; having a language that nobody understands then be compelled to add text as a form of subtitles for this language is a bit pointless, since we already have a text and the characters don't talk anyway. It just seems tedious, Instead of characters talking English (which they technically already do because they talk indirectly through text) so we don't have to read our way through the story we'll be listening to gibberish and still have to read, It's kind of a step back.

But to me; having a language that nobody understands then be compelled to add text as a form of subtitles for this language is a bit pointless, since we already have a text and the characters don't talk anyway.

And that's the reason why Nintendo themselves are against Voice acting.

caleb11roy

Hero of Rhyme
This seems like a huge waste of time to me, Why hire voice actors to record a language that nobody can understand?

I would understand if they removed text and only had English voice, or just kept text and no voice. But to me; having a language that nobody understands then be compelled to add text as a form of subtitles for this language is a bit pointless, since we already have a text and the characters don't talk anyway. It just seems tedious, Instead of characters talking English (which they technically already do because they talk indirectly through text) so we don't have to read our way through the story we'll be listening to gibberish and still have to read, It's kind of a step back.

You say tedious, but that would add to the production value. Add a more real world feeling to Hyrule. Not to mention the doors they could open. You want to read, but you don't want to hear? That's just people being haters! I don't know why people want to keep Zelda the same old way... It'd be like playing the same game everytime.... I would love some big changes.

I don't know why people want to keep Zelda the same old way... It'd be like playing the same game everytime.... I would love some big changes.

If Nintendo included voice acting they should of done so back when Ocarina of Time was made because that game changed the way we saw Zelda completely compared to the 2D Zelda games. It wasn't an utter impossibility to incorprate voice acting on the N64, but because Nintendo didn't take that opportunity, were stuck with the "old way" or to be precise, the traditional way of communication. because of that it may be a little hard to change what alot of fans are already used to. And even if Voice acting were included in future Zelda games, it won't make a huge impact on the game overall because Zelda isn't about voice acting, it's about the gameplay. Also, gameplay is the one that determines whether it'd be like playing the same game over again, not the cutscenes and story.

Last edited:

caleb11roy

Hero of Rhyme
I believe it all contributes! You could have a great story and terrible gameplay, however the gameplay was not so great in SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom