• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 592!

In which game does riding a horse feel the best to you?

• Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Four Swords Adventures

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Breath of the Wild/ Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don't like riding in any of the games

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's Question: What is your favorite mini-boss from Tri-Force Heroes?

Third Place: None (0.0%)
Second Place: Grim Repoe (33.3%)
First Place: Hinox Brothers (66.7%)

Apparently, very few people on ZD has actually played TFH, so very few votes last week :shrug:

This week's question: In which game does riding a horse feel the best to you?

Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask
Four Swords Adventures
Twilight Princess
Breath of the Wild/ Tears of the Kingdom
I don't like riding in any of the games

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I love it in every single game!! though I can’t speak for four swords because I’ve never played. the one that logically feels the best is botw/totk. I truly do love them all, though.

There were a lot of reasons Epona was annoying in OoT, thank god she was strictly optional there but doing the extra course for Malon after freeing her was a pain. I don’t know if they actually changed anything about how she controls, but I recently played through Majora’s Mask again and found I got caught on geometry far, far less of the time than before. Always seemed to do exactly what I told her.

It’s been forever since I’ve played Four Swords Adventures, so just going off vague memory here, but I recall Epona being relatively inoffensive at least. There wasn’t much to it, though, and you only got to use her once or twice? Interesting to try in a 2D game but can totally see why it wasn’t worth it as an idea to go back to for them.

Twilight Princess…meh. Naming it is fun, decent for the first few hours of the game, but after you can warp I basically never used Epona again. It’s kind of really ridiculous that you get the instrument to call her not only at the end of the most boring main quest in the entire series, but so late in the game that you’ll likely only be warping to the few spots you’ve got left to go. It would be like getting the boat in Wind Waker once you’ve finished the Triumph forks hunt.

For Breath of the Wild, I found all the new horse stuff really neat and definitely closer to how it should all be handled in the future, but found them almost kind of similarly useless after reaching Kakariko or Hateno. There were just too many places I’d want to climb right over rather than going around, and Hyrule Field in particular I felt was too dangerous to just ride out in the open in with all the guardians roaming about. One area I feel horses could have helped were in Gerudo desert tbh, no idea why they couldn’t other than to push sand seals. One thing I was impressed with was, at least with higher bond level, what they’ll tend to avoid automatically and things like staying on paths, making me feel it was more inspired by Shadow of the Colossus or Red Dead and that Skyrim was only name dropped for how popular it is.

Arguably no control difference in Tears of the Kingdom (that I know of) but I actually found myself engaging a bit more with them this time around. Definitely helps to have more quests with them involved, and wish there’d been a few more other things like the traveling music group where you had to use them to carry stuff around between towns or wherever. It’s kind of a weird dichotomy but I’d found that since I could just fly to most any huge landmark, horses were actually far more useful for finding all the smaller stuff between everything. So I had fun catching at least a few, giving them musical names a la Jojo, and was a nice surprise to see they can carry over from BotW. So far this is my favorite iteration of the feature.

MW7

I picked Twilight Princess. It improved greatly upon the mechanics in the N64 games, and I never use a horse at all in the Switch games. I never felt as attached to the horses in the two Switch Zeldas even though in theory catching and naming your own horse would lead to attachment. For me it felt like an optional chore to catch a horse and build up trust so I never used one except for pulling wagons in TotK.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Hey, you included FSA! Represent! Obviously, I can't vote for it since the horse racing wasn't great, but I'm still happy to see it. Epona was awesome in OoT but there wasn't much reason to ride her. She was a bit more useful in MM but still not the best ride considering goron Link was more convenient. In Twilight Princess, she was useful, Hyrule was big enough that it made sense to call her and ride her across the field. Truly though, horse riding in BotW and TotK was sublime. The auto pathing was smooth and catching/training was good times. Both games had WAY too many warp points for there to be any point whatsoever to horses but TotK made it even less useful by adding Zonai vehicles and skydiving. Still, imagine BotW without warp points. I would have ridden a horse everywhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom