• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 572!

Would you like to see the Lens of Truth return to the series?

• Yes! Exactly the way it was!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Yes, but alter it's usage a bit

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's Question: What is your favorite elemental-attack to use in BotW/TotK?

Third Place: None (0.0%)
Second Place: Ice (23.1%)
First Place: Draw between "Fire" & "Electricity" (38.5% each)

We mostly want to burn and electrocute them! How evil of us! Ehehe!

This week's question: Would you like to see the Lens of Truth return to the series?

Yes! Exactly the way it was!
Yes, but alter it's usage a bit
Maybe
No
Don't Know

While it was a fun item in the past, I feel like it’s pretty limited in its actual uses. On repeat playthroughs, you hardly need it at all if you already know all the tricks and where everything is, and when you can not progress without it it feels a little cheap.

The only ways I could see them altering it a bit is if maybe seeing enemies’ health(like the mask in Wind Waker) or if the Yiga return/there are equivalent sneaky ninja types and perhaps it lets you see through their disguises or they’re invisible while you fight them.

Really it would take redesigning it to be more versatile and to add to replayability in order for me to be on board with it. Hot take but I’m really done with the old idea of useless items hogging up inventory space.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Given the current design philosophy for Zelda, the Lens of Truth could work very well. Would have to create more scenarios with it in mind, but it'd have use in an overworld scenario too.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I didn't really have an opinion on it in OoT/MM, it was just a cool little item, so while I wouldn't be annoyed to see it return, I wouldn't be doing backflips. I doubt it does unless Nintendo brings back items with a more specific use tho.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I liked the lens of truth, it was useful and I actually like the fact that it could only be used for a limited time. I think that a change I would make to it is that when it comes to changes in structures (i.e. walls that aren't really there and such) make it so those spots can only be interacted with when using the lens of truth. Like with the example I just gave, the wall is fully solid unless you are using the lens, in which case you can pass through it. Idk if that makes sense, but for me the idea that technically you don't need the lens in most circumstances as long as you run into enough stuff bothers me. And if that was the case perhaps if you discover a spot like that with the lens of truth then the truth (the wall being missing) becomes permanent once you put it away.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it. Basically though I like the item.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
On one hand, it’s an item that perfectly captures why I love classic Zelda, particularly in OoT. It’s never technically required in OoT, even without glitches meaning if you’ve memorized the path through the desert and the layout of the Shadow temple, you can just skip the thing entirely.

On the other hand, navigate some of the stuff it reveals without it can be painful, which is why I’ve never skipped it in the vanilla game. Plus in MM it’s straight up required in order for the Song of Healing to work on Darmani’s ghost which is just annoying.

So I’d say don’t change a thing about it specifically, but rather change the level design around it to be easier to remember. Also just don’t make it required.

MW7

Plus in MM it’s straight up required in order for the Song of Healing to work on Darmani’s ghost which is just annoying.
I learned how to climb up the cliff without the lens to learn at the top that this was required. So disappointing.

I really like semi-required items that you can skip once you have gained knowledge about the game. They could improve upon the Lens of Truth though.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
They'd have to update the way it works for me to be interested to see it again. As it currently is it has no business in an open world game (which I really hope not every Zelda from now on is), and I think in the classic type of games it'd need a mechanic update to be interesting. But I am open to see it return in some way

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom