• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VC Concerns...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So I finally started using my VC. First game I bought was Paper Mario. I'm using the GC control. Now I'm a little worried because the game requires me to use the C-Stick at all times for the C buttons and makes absolutely no use X,Y,Z, and R. This is a huge annoyance as I find the C-Stick inconvenient. I also bought Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3. Now I don't know about SMB 3, but SMB allows the X and Y buttons to jump as well as the A button.

Do all games only work with the C-Stick (like OoT and MM) or do SOME games make use of the X,Y, and Z buttons like the Collectors Edition of OoT and MM did?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't recall any games making use of X,Y,Z and in fact I do believe that XYZ serve a different purpose for the Virtual Console. X and Y serve as the A and B buttons for a few NES games, but other than that? Nope, C-buttons are mapped to the C-Stick. It's just a matter of convenience. ;)

I'm not sure; I haven't used a GameCube controller for Virtual Console games before. But I can tell you that Classic Controller Pros do utilize the A, B, X, and Y buttons along with the trigger buttons; at least I know they do for the games I have (Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask). You can get a Pro for $20 at GameStop, and you can probably get one for a similar price at other retail stores that have them in stock.

DarkestLink

I'm not sure; I haven't used a GameCube controller for Virtual Console games before. But I can tell you that Classic Controller Pros do utilize the A, B, X, and Y buttons along with the trigger buttons; at least I know they do for the games I have (Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask). You can get a Pro for $20 at GameStop, and you can probably get one for a similar price at other retail stores that have them in stock.

Thanks, and I know. I just prefer GC controls because I hate having to get new batteries.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Perhaps I am recalling incorrectly, but I think that X, Y, Z, and possibly R actually serve as the C stick buttons, don't they? I distinctly remember being able to press X and Y in OoT and MM instead of using the C stick to take out items. I still preferred C stick anyway, because I got confused at which button corresponded with which direction, but I think that's what they're used for. Is it different for other games? Have you tried those buttons in that way?

EDIT: On second thought, R was used for shielding in those games. But I'm and FAIRLY certain that X and Y were used for items. I think Z was for C stick down, because I remember thinking the Song of Storms was easier to play with that button. I don't think there's a button for C stick up.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Perhaps I am recalling incorrectly, but I think that X, Y, Z, and possibly R actually serve as the C stick buttons, don't they? I distinctly remember being able to press X and Y in OoT and MM instead of using the C stick to take out items. I still preferred C stick anyway, because I got confused at which button corresponded with which direction, but I think that's what they're used for. Is it different for other games? Have you tried those buttons in that way?

EDIT: On second thought, R was used for shielding in those games. But I'm and FAIRLY certain that X and Y were used for items. I think Z was for C stick down, because I remember thinking the Song of Storms was easier to play with that button. I don't think there's a button for C stick up.

This is how I remember it for the Collector's Edition, but on VC Paper Mario it wasn't doing this. I never actually tried the VC Zelda yet, which is why I asked. Thank you! =3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom