• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Vah Medoh, Vah Medli, Vah Mido

So chatting wih a friend about the names of the Divine Beasts, he says their names are based on the names of villages from AoL. Which isn't wrong since the OoT Sages are named after those towns (cept Mido who wasnt a Sage).

Though Vah Medoh, the Rito Divine Beast is a weird one. It looks like Mido, but being a Rito DB i think the name Medoh would be better linked with Medli, since it would make little sense for a Rito DB to be named after a Kokiri who wasnt a Sage (or an important place in AoL).

So i wonder what side you guys come down on.

Obviously Naboris is named after the Gerudo Sage Nabooru (and Urbosa flat out states it).

Vah Rudania is obviously Darunia rearranged.

And Vah Ruta is, of course, named after Princess Ruto.

So what's Vah Medoh?
Is it Medli, a fellow Rito and WW Sage?
Or Mido a no-name Kokiri?

Mido didn't even cross my mind, to be honest. Medoh was Medli to me, but I hate how stupid it sounds pronounced. Voice actors say it like "meadow" and it's dumb. I said Medli with that sound, but... meadow. Meadow. I never even knew if Mido was said with a long or a short i sound or with an e, but I mentally pronounced Medoh as "meedoh" until the awful voice acting ruined that for me. I'd still insist Medli though. If they're named for sages, Medli would make better sense.

I'm now about to head to Vah Medoh, but I'm more interested in the backstory of the Rito in general, as I doubt they can really work it into the same backstory as what they had in WW, which would also make the name Medli more difficult to explain.

There is one possible explanation I can think of though, which would still fit as a reference to the sages from OoT despite there not being a Rito sage... medal... in reference to the medallions the sages give to Link.

Definitely Medli. It's clearer in the Japanese where Medli's name is "Meh-Doh-Ri" and Medoh is literally the first two syllables.

All named after Sages of their race. Only known Rito sage is Medli. Pretty safe bet there.

Pen

The game is on!
Yeah I also had the thought about how Medoh kind of sound like Mido too. But I think it's definitely supposed to be named after Medli. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. The other three are named after previous sages of the same race as the Champion in charge of the Divine Beast, so Medoh is absolutely named after Medli in my mind. Makes no sense for it to be named after a Kokiri.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom