• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Underrated Video Games

Ocarina of Time was a great game but so were all of the other games in the series. In my opinion, Twilight Princess was just as good. SO why is Ocarina of Time so popular? Was it because it was the first 3D Zelda game? Was it because it was the first to introduce puzzles that challenge the players? Well in my humble opinion, if Majora's Mask came before Ocarina of Time, it'd be just as popular as Ocarina of Time is now! I mean Twilight Princess is really underrated. For what?! Dark graphics and is bad because of Ganondorf in it?! I don't try to focus on little details as I try to focus on the theme or general statement that the game is trying to get across to you. I focus on the stuff that actually matters:

- Amount of gameplay
- A decent amount of challenge
- Makes you feel like you've accomplished something
- Makes you feel like you've actually slayed Ganondorf and saved Hyrule.

I think that these are the things that people should look for in a video game. Not just people being stupid by saying the graphics are too dark. THEN TURN UP THE FRIGGIN' BRIGHTNESS ON YOUR TV AND STOP COMPLAINING! So, can you think of any video games you've played that are too underrated? Tell me below

geek4887

The Unknown
Dude, I agree with you that Twilight Princess is just as great as Ocarina of Time (Vanitas, if you happened to read this, haha, well, you know my stance on it). And I rank both up on my top list. They are really good games, but I think that OoT was praised, because it produced so many innovations and contributed so much to the gaming industry.

Anyways, back on topic. A game that I thought was pretty underrated around the Zelda community are the DS games. Sure, they weren't "classic" like, but they introduced new puzzles to the series. Most of the people in the forums are haters of the touch controls :dry:, and sometimes I don't know why. For some reason, the controls just worked for me, and it wasn't awful. In fact, the DS games were one of the best on the system (well, most Zelda games usually are). My only gripe about them was the stupid transportation system (which was just as bad as Wind Waker, from what I've heard and seen).

Well, that's all this guy has to say here! Later :D

MW7

Ocarina of Time was a great game but so were all of the other games in the series. In my opinion, Twilight Princess was just as good. SO why is Ocarina of Time so popular? Was it because it was the first 3D Zelda game? Was it because it was the first to introduce puzzles that challenge the players? Well in my humble opinion, if Majora's Mask came before Ocarina of Time, it'd be just as popular as Ocarina of Time is now! I mean Twilight Princess is really underrated. For what?! Dark graphics and is bad because of Ganondorf in it?! I don't try to focus on little details as I try to focus on the theme or general statement that the game is trying to get across to you. I focus on the stuff that actually matters:

- Amount of gameplay
- A decent amount of challenge
- Makes you feel like you've accomplished something
- Makes you feel like you've actually slayed Ganondorf and saved Hyrule.

I think that these are the things that people should look for in a video game. Not just people being stupid by saying the graphics are too dark. THEN TURN UP THE FRIGGIN' BRIGHTNESS ON YOUR TV AND STOP COMPLAINING! So, can you think of any video games you've played that are too underrated? Tell me below

What? I have never heard of people complaining about Twilight Princess's graphics, but I would agree that if anyone does they are being hypercritical. I actually am one of those people that thinks that Twilight Princess is one of the worst Zelda games, but at the same time I would definitely agree that it is underrated in some ways. Big picture- it is a very lengthy adventure with no glaring problems. However, since it is a Zelda game, it is subject to much more critism than a normal game because of the extremely high quality of the series. In my mind it falls short of other Zelda games because it is relatively unoriginal (following ALTTP's model), has easy combat, and was completely linear. Also I just didn't like the story at all.

I think that the reason OOT is so popular is that is basically took the perfection that is ALTTP and streamlined it (adding many things innovative to 3d gameplay in the process) and put it in 3d. As a result, you get a fairly unoriginal, yet virtually flawless game. As you might notice most of the flaws I see in Twilight Princess also apply to OOT, with the exception of linearity. I definitely would consider saying OOT is harder than TP to be a stretch at best. Hidden skills are what made TP too easy but OOT wasn't any harder really I think. The nonlinearity of OOT makes it very replayable for me at least, and that's the main reason why I think TP can't really compare in my mind. They are basically the same game but one forces you on a set path and the other doesn't so I always pick the latter.

Also TP felt like a letdown after MM and WW because those two games were very creative and didn't just try to re-create the atmosphere of earlier games. IMO TP was a step in the wrong direction because it felt too familiar.

I would disagree that MM would have been as "revolutionary" as OOT if it was the first 3d Zelda. MM would have been a let down to some extent if it was released before OOT. MM experimented with fewer dungeons and the 3-day system. IMO public opinion would not have been as high for MM as it was for OOT. MM owes a lot of its success to OOT, but I do think MM is the greatest game ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom