• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess vibes from Elden Ring

The Elden Ring trailer dropped yesterday we discussed it in the shoutbox but I'd like to expand it to its own thread here if that's okay... Anyone else see aesthetic similarities or a similar mood in its setting and characters to the darker tone of Twilight Princess... Man, I wish we could have gotten a similar sequel to that game with its mood and vibe.

elden-ring-gameplay-release-date-trailer1-1920.jpg
2nDLGVEcNJxWZVbjjn5QkF-970-80.jpg
2855441-elden-ring-data-de-lanamento-revelada.jpg

Attachments

• 12172_elden-ring-wolf-1200x675.jpg
    12172_elden-ring-wolf-1200x675.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I don’t get TP vibes from this trailer, mainly because unlike TP it actually looks halfway decent visually. Aside from that, it could have a decent atmosphere, or it could be like TP where the atmosphere is completely shallow and amounts to nothing more than “we made the game act edgy with little substance behind it.”

Here's a big folder of images from the Elden Ring trailer to compare with Twilight Princess

and here's the original E3 trailer for Twilight Princess from way way back in the day for comparison to see how similar to the two debut trailers are

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Kinda, but Elden Ring has this gristly look that TP doesn't have. TP is a more realistic and down to earth take on Zelda, Elden Ring looks more like Skyrim or Dark Souls imo. It's a good look tho, I might have to look into this game.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Elden Ring looks like what TP tried to go for in a way, but without the cartoonishly abnormal character proportions.

TP may have been darker aesthetically, but realism was never possible when you had plenty of NPCs with the most bizarre proportions or facial features. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but comparing it to something like Souls is difficult when Zelda is not attempting to integrate realism into its world as much as the Souls games appear to, within the context of an environment steeped in fantasy for both franchises of course.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Elden Ring only looks from Twilight Princess from a high fantasy perspective. But as others have stated, there are more current examples to draw inspiration from (Dark Souls is merely a given since it's the same developer), up to and including the Demon's Souls remake. The only major difference with DeSR is that the world is more open now (but of course it will include swamps).

...The hooded figure resembling Zelda wearing the cloak is practically the only similarity I can't overlook. But Souls games always include a mysterious woman who's there to raise your stats, so this shouldn't be any different.

The graphics and enemy designs scream Dark Souls, though. The series takes heavy inspiration from Berserk, so the grotesque deformities are nothing like standard adversaries walking around in Zelda. I'm mostly curious about the HUD since the trailer omitted any hint of how the health/magic/stamina bars would look in favor of visual flare.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
The graphics and enemy designs scream Dark Souls, though. The series takes heavy inspiration from Berserk, so the grotesque deformities are nothing like standard adversaries walking around in Zelda. I'm mostly curious about the HUD since the trailer omitted any hint of how the health/magic/stamina bars would look in favor of visual flare.
archtree archtree

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I wouldn't call it TP vibes. The only tenuous connection between them is the aesthetically darker graphical style, which made Twilight Princess's textures and characters look like poop and which Soulsborne has been using to better effect for years.

I meant the debut trailers for each give a similar vibe. We know what Twilight Princess was like obviously and we still don't know what the overall look of Elden Ring will be.

I also didn't realize how much dislike Twilight Princess had here in the forums. I always thought it looked great on older CRTVs back in the day. I loved its aesthetic. Haven't seen much of the HD remake.. I thought it looked good from what I saw... Of course the art design wasn't going to age as well on modern hardware like Windwaker and Skyward Swords more painterly cell shaded design would.

Mikey the Moblin

I also didn't realize how much dislike Twilight Princess had here in the forums. I always thought it looked great on older CRTVs back in the day. I loved its aesthetic. Haven't seen much of the HD remake.. I thought it looked good from what I saw... Of course the art design wasn't going to age as well on modern hardware like Windwaker and Skyward Swords more painterly cell shaded design would.
I never played it on CRT myself
but I've heard CRT monitors just display things better than LED/LCD anyway

Compare the story of the Tarnished from Elden Ring to something else from Twilight Princess...

Story Summary:

In this world, there is a land blessed by golden trees called the "Land of the Between". The land is the setting for Martin's mythology and is governed by heroes who have been particularly blessed with the blood of the god Queen Marika, from a clan called the "Demigods." And when you are in that “land of space,” some people lose their blessings. All those who received the blessing had a golden light in their eyes, but those who lost that light from their eyes.
They are called "fading people" because the golden light that should be in their eyes has faded, and they are banished from the "land in the Between. The main character of this work, a "Fading Man," is a descendant of those who have been exiled from the "land in the Between"
And now, when Eldenling, the source of the blessing of the golden tree, breaks, the blessing that was once lost will be brought back to the "fading person" outside the "land of the gap". As a "guidance" that invites you to Eldenling, the "land of the Between", and whispers to become the king.
――The main character has the goal of becoming the king of the "Land in Between"

The following events were explained to Link by the Light Spirit Lanayru, after he has restored the light to Lanayru Province.

During the ancient times of Hyrule, a dark tribe existed, they were named the Interlopers, hence their tendency to invade. This tribe excelled in shadow magic and intended to use the power of the Fused Shadow to seek domain over the Sacred Realm.[3] Fearing the worst, the Goddesses reached out to the Light Spirits of Hyrule.[4] The four Light Spirits then intervened and took the Fused Shadows and sealed them away.[5] Three of the fragments were sealed within temples across Hyrule while the other was sealed away with the Interlopers. With the power of the Fused Shadow gone from their grasp, the tribe was left powerless, thus they were banished to the Twilight Realm.

Over time, due to the appearance of the Sols, the Interlopers eventually evolved into the tribe known as the Twili. The once evil intentions of the tribe diminished as they became peaceful over time. This was because the tribe were isolated and came to know neither anger nor hatred

I'm even getting A Link to the Past "sacred realm" vibes now too

Mikey the Moblin

I don’t get TP vibes from this trailer, mainly because unlike TP it actually looks halfway decent visually. Aside from that, it could have a decent atmosphere, or it could be like TP where the atmosphere is completely shallow and amounts to nothing more than “we made the game act edgy with little substance behind it.”
Worth noting that from software doesnt do this
Even the smallest detail is intentional and has reasoning behind it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom