• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Twilight Princess Light Spirits - Really Six?

So I was playing through Twilight Princess the other day when I noticed something about the Light Spirits. In particular, the fact that each holds what appears to be a Sol. [Quick note on Sols: They are spheres of light that dispel Twilight (or at least that dark shadowy stuff) from the area just around them]. This got me thinking... What if they actually were Sols? They share the same basic function - removing the Twilight (or its darker equivalent in the Twilight Realm) from the area near them.

However, there is one significant difference between the Sols in the two realms. In the Light Realm, each Sol governs an entire region of the world, and when they fall, the entire province becomes enveloped by Twilight. But in the Twilight Realm, the Sols only affect a short radius around themselves. This seems to be counter-evidence that the objects are the same in both worlds.

However, there is also another important difference to note between the two different realms: The Twilight Realm lacks Light Spirits. In Hyrule, each Sol is guarded by a Spirit of Light, each of which represents a particular province. And, as seen in the cutscene with Zant and Midna just after defeating Morpheel, it is not when the Light Spirit is injured and vanished that the area falls to Twilight. Rather, it is when the Sol falls, being submerged in the spring. This seems to say that it is the Sol, not the Spirit, that has the true light-bearing power.

What, then, does this have to do with the Twilight Realm? Again, there are two Sols there, and it is interesting to notice that each can be found in a different region - the two wings of the palace, similar to the different provinces in Hyrule, though on a much smaller scale.

Also, the Light Spirits and Sols could have a sort of symbiotic relationship. The Spirits guard and protect the Sols, and the Sols allow the Spirits to heal. This would explain why Lanayru, in the aforementioned cutscene, recovers from Zant's attack fairly quickly, even though the Spirits in general are utterly powerless to save themselves when the light from the Sols - found in the Tears of Light - are stolen. This also brings up an interesting point: When the Shadow Beasts descend to steal the light, they are extremely efficient (at least when Link isn't there). They can virtually just waltz in and *poof*. Here comes the Twilight. Not to mention that Zant (granted, he has the power of his god) seems to be fairly good at attacking Lanayru. It would make a lot of sense if the Twili had encountered similar creatures to the Spirits before, and had experience with them before.

Now, you've probably put this together by now, but my theory is as follows:

There were originally six Light Spirits, each guarding its Sol. When the Interlopers were sealed away for their use of dark magic, two of the Light Spirits were sent with them. However, at some point, the Interlopers, possibly in their greed for power, killed the two Light Spirits. At this point, the world began to darken. Over time, this eventually came to be Twilight, and the Interlopers adapted to the environment, becoming the Twili race. Because the Light Spirits of the Twilight Realm were gone, the effect of the Sols was severely diminished, resulting in the half-light that can be found there, as well as the small region of effect. So at one point, there were, not four, but six Light Spirits - a common number in the Legend of Zelda series. It is also interesting to note that another guardian group, the Sages, are also usually six in number, and have been seen to be killed.

Anyway, that's my theory. What do you think? Do you have more evidence to support it? Anything that seems contradictory?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Interesting theory. You know... this might actually have some credibility to it. You've obviously done your homework on this topic, and thought about it a lot.

One thing I noticed is that Midna says the Sols in the Twilight Realm are like "The sun of our world." In the overworld, we have the light spirits, yes, but we also have the sun. The Light Spirit is nothing in the Twilight, and the sols are nowhere to be seen. If what Midna said was true, then the sols would need to stay, but the spirits wouldn't. Then again, maybe it was the sols that didn't kill the light spirits when Twilight fell over the regions. This would make sense in this case because the way I see it, there is nothing else powering the Hyrule Twilight like the sols power the Twilight Palace. So maybe the Light Spirits are attached to the sols, but the spirits cannot exist in the Twilight. Then again, the sols turned the Shadow Beasts into regular twili, but the beasts did not return to their true form when they attacked the Light Spirits.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's interesting that you mention the Sols as they seem to get largely overlooked...

Sol is referred to as a sun in some definitions however it is also referred to as a sun among the Twili...
[ilquote=Midna]The Sols were like the suns that illuminate this world. [/ilquote]
[ilquote=Midna]That shining sphere illuminates this world. It's called a Sol. It's like the sun of your world, Link. [/ilquote]
[ilquote=Midna]The power of the Sol is the source of life in this world... It is pure power. [/ilquote]

So going by the notation that "A" Sol is essentially a sun, that would mean that it acts as the source of life, sun light is essentially needed for life I the real world and without it most living beings/plants would perish. If we look at the origin story then we see that the Dark Interlopers weren't necessarily "evil" they just were greedy and had "evil" intentions. The Light Spirits obviously intervened as they stated and banished the tribe into another Realm, now in my theories before I've said the Twilight Realm is in fact the Sacred Realm however its not completely accurate.

Since the Light Spirits were responsible for this banishment they have some sort of connection with this realm in my opinion and I think that they where the reason the Sols exist there. Thinking about it the Dark Interlopers excelled I shadow magic so how would they be related to a power if light? As you stated the Sols seem to be similar in appearance to the small spheres of light that the Light Spirits have, so essentially there could be a connection.

In my theory I would think that the Light Spirits specifically placed the Sols within the world in order for Dark Interlopers to survive over time and eventually become a civilised tribe that would one day meet with the Light World. Princess Zelda also mentions this as she says maybe it was the gods creation that they would one day meet through the mirror. So I think the Sols where placed I order to sustain life. Notice when we first enter the Twilight Realm that the Twili are mindless beasts however when we go near them with a Sol they return to their normal, peaceful self... This believes me to think that the Sols where placed their to keep the race alive or to keep them at peace.

Also comparing these two images I think we can see similarities:​
TCQdKpd.jpg
Uvl2RC0.jpg

Now to the left we have a picture of the Sol, now notice the patterns and the illuminous blue colour that creates the patterns... If we look at the second picture we have the Light Spirit Ordona; of you look at the rock structures behind it you see a very similar pattern and it also shines with this illuminous blue colour. I do see a very similar connection here and I think the Sols where definitely a source of the Light Spirits however I do think they're different to what the Light Spirits hold. You could maybe argue that the other two provinces, the Desert and Peak Province might have had guardians but in the tale told by Lanayru he only mentions that three were present at that time. Nevertheless though I applaud your theory and I hope to see more.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
They may be similar, but I don't think the Light Sage's spheres are sols. They look different, and the Light Sage's spheres are used to create the Light Arrows, which don't have anything to do with Twilight.

f you look at the rock structures behind it you see a very similar pattern and it also shines with this illuminous blue colour.
Zant did that himself. (reference) Regarding the sphere being submerged, that was also Zant's doing. The sphere was already submerged before Zant got there and everything was normal. It was just a dramatic way of suppressing Lanayru.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I think they only appear similar because they have the same functions. This is just a personal theory of mine, but I've always thought that the spheres the Light Spirits possess are the Light Spirits and the "bodies" of the Light Spirits are just forms they project around themselves. When the Light Spirits appear, the orbs are always the first things to appear, rising above the water while the body materializes around it. Either way, the spheres are obviously the core or source of the Light's Spirits power. Notice how Lanayru brandishes the orb at Zant in Locke's reference above. And when the Light Spirits transform themselves into Light Arrows the spheres are what actually turn into the bow and arrows.

The Sols I suppose, are a weaker replica of the Light Spirit's orbs. They do not completely hold the Twilight at bay, as the Light Spirits do, but they appear to power the Twili's cities and provide a source of Light for them, which is probably needed for any being to survive at all in the Twilight. On an unrelated note, notice how the orbs Phantom Zant summons are a dark version of the Sols.
150px-Sol_TP.png

I could not find a picture of the Dark Sols, but if you pause this video at 0:42, you can see what I mean.

[video=youtube;hchU6eyVE_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hchU6eyVE_M[/video]

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Mmm... this is a very interesting theory, Vivaereth.

The one thing I noticed about the Sols was that, whatever Midna said, they were very weak sources of power. They couldn't eliminate "darker twilight", only keep it away; they fall easily into Zant's grasp (literally); and when the Master Sword absorbs them, after beating Zant the Sols never reappear, and there is no cataclysm in the Twilight Realm. This last thing was the one that made me think that they aren't really all that powerful and important.

Out of curiosity: in Spanish and Catalan, Sol means "sun". I just assumed they were the sun's equivalent even before Midna mentioned it, and only when I came here I realised "Sol" it's their name in every language, not the translation in my game :)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Zant did that himself. (reference) Regarding the sphere being submerged, that was also Zant's doing. The sphere was already submerged before Zant got there and everything was normal. It was just a dramatic way of suppressing Lanayru.
However this was the Light Spirit "Ordona", this was the first encounter Link had with a Light Spirit and it was directly after he was imprisoned. The province of Ordona is yet to succumb to Twilight as when we arrive, conveniently so do the Shadow Beasts who where there to steal the light from the province.

So really Ordona was untouched by Zant nor his magic... This is why I chose this specific image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom