• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Twilight Princess: Boss Favorites and Constructive Criticism

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
~Note: This thread may contain spoilers so if you haven't beaten Twilight Princess yet, then proceed at your own risk~

Bosses bring new life into an area that your in. They can bring a sense of nostalgia, epicness, irritation, and most importantly-fun.

This thread will be talking about bosses from Twilight princess. Which is/are your favorite(s)? And what do you have to say about them? I'll begin first.

My favorite boss in Twilight Princess is Blizzeta. Here are a couple pictures:
98149E2D89B52EAF7EC3377AB3E43627726B7E3B_small.jpg

300px-Blizzeta.png

~Why she's my favorite~
Blizzeta is my favorite boss in Twilight Princess because I like her style. I have always been a little bias towards ice/water areas, monsters, bosses, and dungeons because I like them for some unexplained reason. She has multiple forms(two) which is what I like to see in bosses acknowledging how far into the game Blizzeta stands at. She has few but very cool attacks-I'm speaking about her second form-that makes the battle somewhat challenging and fun.

~The Positives~
Blizzeta is a boss that I'm very proud of. First lets talk about her first form. She is basically a huge ice mass that slides in every direction threatening to ram into you. She doesn't have any other attacks save her sliding around. With her enormous size, it's easy to hit her with the ever-slow ball and chain. However, the smaller she gets, the more agile she becomes which boosts up her speed. When she's down to a reasonably small size, she will have miniature ice monsters-the same ones encountered in the dungeon- spinning along the outside radius of her body. When you hit Blizzeta these little guys will fly off at great speed and will cause a great deal of hindrance when not taking care of Blizzeta quickly.

This little spin(no pun intended) turns a seemingly easy boss battle into an unexpected fight for your life. And this is just the beginning.

Now lets talk about her second form, her most serious and deadly form.

She is now floating in the air inside a big fancy ice block. And did I mention she had 10 giant(and needless to say fancy) ice shards circling around her? Well, she does and the thing is, you can't see her....in the air anyway. She has another method of defence, which is the inability for Link to see her directly. We have to rely on her reflection in the ice-covered floor to determine where and how to dodge her attacks. We also have to worry about the extremely small radius of the boss room and the lack of good traction. We learn all of this about her and she hasn't even attacked us yet.

She has two attacks: sending all of her ice shards crashing down onto Link, and, crashing down herself along with her ice shards at the same time.

Falling objects in a lot of games don't usually post that big of a threat, but for Blizzeta, it's a death wish if you take her lightly.

I also like the method of attacking the second form of Blizzeta. You have to destroy as many shards as you can when they are wedged into the floor after they come crashing down(and hopefully missing you in the process!) with the ball and chain. Okay, great, you hit one or two shards. You can hit her, easy right? You're not done yet. Blizzeta apparently doesn't like you killing off her precious ice shards so she's going to make things harder for you. When the ice shards return next to her they will start rotating, which adds a whole new level of difficulty because it doesn't matter which shards you hit. You still have to quickly react to go through the opening(that you created by destroying some ice shards)-Which is randomly placed- when she comes crashing down to attack her.

I also like the fact that she-and her shards- don't camp out for 5 minutes when they hit the floor. You have to be fast, which can be a challenge sometimes due to the lack of traction.

~The Negatives~
Her first form should have lasted slightly longer personally. I think that we should have been made to hit her an extra one or two times before she goes into her second form. Other than that, her first form is great.

Her second form is really awesome but she could've used an extra attack or two alongside with the two attacks I mentioned earlier. Her speed is excellent and you have to move, and move fast!

The only real problem that I find with Blizzeta is that her attack power isn't as it should be. She should hit somewhere near the two hearts range when she comes slamming into you herself. Half a heart from her shards is fine considering there are 10 of them.

~Closing Comments~
Overall Blizzeta is a fun, challenging boss that fits in perfectly. She isn't too hard or too easy being the 5th boss of the game. That's why she is my favorite in TP :).

Ok guys now it's your turn! I apologize for this thread being kind of lengthy. You don't have to type as much so please don't feel that you have to write a novel. I will be looking forward to reading your guys' opinions :).

the best main boss in the game I guess has to be Zant. Ha, i can't believe I even said that because Zant is made out to be a little crazy but gun to my head I would have to go with him. Personally, I thought the mini-bosses were cooler like Ook in the forest temple just for the music. The MM mini boss recreation (or is he Phantom Ganon?) in Arbiter's Grounds was not that hard, but he was so well done. He was so creepy and both the opening and closing animations were top notch.

My favorite boss was Stallord. Even though the Spinner wasn't used much outside of the dungeon, I felt that this battle was beyond words. It was difficult, and the two-stage techniques were really cool and the fight always kept you on your toes.

440.jpg

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Blizzeta was also my favorite. I agree that she definitely needed a longer first stage, though. And the first form could have been more difficult. It's less a problem with a concept of the attacks, and more that they never cause me any problems. The mini-freezards could have been used to greater effect here, I think, to make it a more challenging battle.

But since she's my favorite, I'm going to deconstruct a boss that's not - Diababa.

TPDiababa.png

This one requires a delicate balance. It's the first boss, so it's not going to be as difficult as later ones. Also, the player has few weapon options at this point, limiting possibilities. But it still needs to be challenging. One thing it does have going for it is the timing aspect of the battle. If you tried to use the gale boomerang on the bombling at the wrong time, it would blow up against the ledge instead of Diabab's heads (which I have done.) The poison spray also has a pretty good range.

Even taking the boss as-is, two tweaks could have changed its difficulty: extending the length of the first phase of battle (really, this would work for many Twilight Princess bosses) and changing the second phase so that you had to bomb the outer heads before attacking the middle head. They could still regenerate after a certain amount of time, but it would again extend the length of battle. And one reason battle length would make such a difference is because at this point in the game, you've still got three hearts. There's only so much damage the boss can inflict, but giving it more time to chip away at the health can counteract that.

If I were to actually change part of the battle concept - with the gale boomerang's ability to target more than one area, that could have provided more variety in the player's attacking approach. With a slight change in the functionality of the boomerang, it could have been possible to target the head, then target a few points around a pole (or something similar). The head gets pulled around the pole and is out of commission for the time being. The objective could even be to twist the two outer heads around each other before attacking the middle head. This way the goal for each phase wouldn't have been exactly the same.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Fav boss: (GRR I can't remember his name!!) The Lakebed Temple boss. Well... that, Zant, and Ganondorf.

Constructive criticism?
1. MAKE THE GAME LET YOU PLAY AFTER IT ENDS!!
2. Shorter end credits.
3. Harder bosses.
3. More density to the environment.

Steps in the right direction:
1. Larger overworld.
2. More in-depth storyline.
3. Ridiculously fun gameplay.
4. More time between Temples.*
*Unlike Ocarina of Time, where it was just "Go here!", "Go here!", "Go here!" every time you beat a Temple.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
My favorite boss was Stallord. Even though the Spinner wasn't used much outside of the dungeon, I felt that this battle was beyond words. It was difficult, and the two-stage techniques were really cool and the fight always kept you on your toes.

View attachment 8738

Oh my goodness. To be honest it was a fair fight between Stallord and Blizzeta to be my favorite for me. Stallord's battle was fast-paced and I loved every second of it. But needless to say Blizzeta is my favorite for reasons stated in the original post =P.

Blizzeta was also my favorite. I agree that she definitely needed a longer first stage, though. And the first form could have been more difficult. It's less a problem with a concept of the attacks, and more that they never cause me any problems. The mini-freezards could have been used to greater effect here, I think, to make it a more challenging battle.

But since she's my favorite, I'm going to deconstruct a boss that's not - Diababa.

TPDiababa.png

This one requires a delicate balance. It's the first boss, so it's not going to be as difficult as later ones. Also, the player has few weapon options at this point, limiting possibilities. But it still needs to be challenging. One thing it does have going for it is the timing aspect of the battle. If you tried to use the gale boomerang on the bombling at the wrong time, it would blow up against the ledge instead of Diabab's heads (which I have done.) The poison spray also has a pretty good range.

Even taking the boss as-is, two tweaks could have changed its difficulty: extending the length of the first phase of battle (really, this would work for many Twilight Princess bosses) and changing the second phase so that you had to bomb the outer heads before attacking the middle head. They could still regenerate after a certain amount of time, but it would again extend the length of battle. And one reason battle length would make such a difference is because at this point in the game, you've still got three hearts. There's only so much damage the boss can inflict, but giving it more time to chip away at the health can counteract that.

If I were to actually change part of the battle concept - with the gale boomerang's ability to target more than one area, that could have provided more variety in the player's attacking approach. With a slight change in the functionality of the boomerang, it could have been possible to target the head, then target a few points around a pole (or something similar). The head gets pulled around the pole and is out of commission for the time being. The objective could even be to twist the two outer heads around each other before attacking the middle head. This way the goal for each phase wouldn't have been exactly the same.

Mhm, mhm I love this! I've always been slightly irritated at how easy it is to determine how to attack Zelda bosses because you always use the item you found in that bosses respective dungeon.

But if they mix it up and change how to use it will bring back that feeling of not knowing what to do and forces us to run around trying to buy ourselves some time while trying to figure it out. Yes that is the perfect solution I love that! I'm glad that you said it!

Hawk the Warior

Knight of The Twilight
I would have to say that my favorite is Stallord.
He was challenging, and the arena was just so fun. I would sometimes teleport back and just ride back up. I love using the spinner rails, and I just wish there were more in the overworld.

-Hawk the Warrior :mastersword:

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
I would have to say that my favorite is Stallord.
He was challenging, and the arena was just so fun. I would sometimes teleport back and just ride back up. I love using the spinner rails, and I just wish there were more in the overworld.

-Hawk the Warrior :mastersword:

I agree with that. Riding those rails were so much fun =P. Having like train-track-things for the spinner in Hyrule field would have been cool.

Anyway, I also agree that the Stallord boss was epic. He may have needed a more powerful attack but other than that he's ok :).

I would have to say that stallord is probably my favorite boss out of TP
one it was challenging in the sense that you always had to keep an eye on what you were doing
second it was a fun way that they used the spinner in the battle (especially the second part)
finally stallord just looks awesome!
this was definatly my favoite boss battle out of all of them
of course facing zant was quite fun as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom