• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U TPHD number one selling game in UK right now

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/07/zelda...is-the-number-one-selling-game-in-uk-5737766/

TPHD is topping the charts right now in the UK. It's surprising considering I thought there was only about 6 fans of Zelda over here but apparently there are more and they are simply hiding from me.

This just shows the popularity of Twilight Princess. Since 2006 I have considered it my favourite entry and it is good to see it do well and put bashers of the game in their rightful place. It just might indicate to Nintendo that it was a good direction to go in for the series and from what Aounuma says, TP inspired Zelda U and gave him ideas of what to do for the new game anyway. This hopefully means we wont have to endure another SS like entry in the future.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
...and from what Aounuma says, TP inspired Zelda U and gave him ideas of what to do for the new game anyway. This hopefully means we wont have to endure another SS like entry in the future.

I also think it's interesting to note that Skyward Sword was the first 3D entry that had neither Miyamoto nor Aounuma as director. Before this, all had been directed by one of those two, but for SS Aounuma only produced. I don't mean to knock the guy who directed the game, but maybe it's time for either Shiggy or Nummy to take back the director's chair, because SS was just horrible.

Dan

I'm on the same page Deus. Here in England as you well know games like Zelda are considered for "GAYLORDS M8". Great to hear it's doing so well here.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I also think it's interesting to note that Skyward Sword was the first 3D entry that had neither Miyamoto nor Aounuma as director. Before this, all had been directed by one of those two, but for SS Aounuma only produced. I don't mean to knock the guy who directed the game, but maybe it's time for either Shiggy or Nummy to take back the director's chair, because SS was just horrible.

Yoshiaki Koizumi would be a good option so long as he is given a good amount of freedom, he really likes to add more story elements to his games and he was one of the directors of OOT. Miyamoto actually has held him back on quite a few occasions. I think Zelda could really shine with him at the helm.

Koizumi Wired Interview 2007 said:

You’re right, EAD doesn’t tend to focus on the big story in most of their games. But I was the one coming up with scenarios, just on my own, ever since the time ofLink’s Awakening. But even at that time, I felt like I came up with this entire scenario and a backstory for Link, but nobody really seemed to care. They were always saying, let’s not try to push the story forward too much.

So I would sort of try to find sneaky ways to get it in without them noticing too much. For example, I always liked the idea of you coming upon another character and hearing little bits of conversation that slowly begin to reveal different parts of the story. And that was the way that I tried to work on Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. A lot of the EAD games that do seem to have a lot of story, a lot of that came from my influence. But those are aspects of the games that Miyamoto wasn’t nearly as fond of and occasionally didn’t like.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Yoshiaki Koizumi would be a good option so long as he is given a good amount of freedom, he really likes to add more story elements to his games and he was one of the directors of OOT. Miyamoto actually has held him back on quite a few occasions. I think Zelda could really shine with him at the helm.

I admit I had never heard of him, but I just looked him up. I am not a fan of many of his works (I'm not a 3D Mario fan), but I say that maybe the Zelda series does need a breath of fresh air.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I admit I had never heard of him, but I just looked him up. I am not a fan of many of his works (I'm not a 3D Mario fan), but I say that maybe the Zelda series does need a breath of fresh air.

I assume you like OOT and MM, a lot of the story telling elements can be attributed to his presence.

I played Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. 1 I found to be much better as it had some story to it. 2 did not and it was because Miyamoto did not allow Koizumi to feature one as heavily in that installment.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I assume you like OOT and MM, a lot of the story telling elements can be attributed to his presence.

I played Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. 1 I found to be much better as it had some story to it. 2 did not and it was because Miyamoto did not allow Koizumi to feature one as heavily in that installment.

Correct. OoT and MM are two of my favorite games of all time, OoT in particular because of the story-telling. The story itself wasn't that special, but the way it was presented was fantastic.

My real issue with Galaxy was the gameplay, not the story, so I guess I can't complain about that either.

I do not totally agree. Yes there needs to be an old wise head at the helm but I feel it should only be a transition to a newer and younger crew. Eventually the younger crew will ahve to take over, when the elders die or retire. Best to use the elders while they are still at Nintendo to train up the new younger crew.

Nice! Great it's selling so well there it really deserves 10m sales (combined with the wii and gc copies) so i hope it reaches that in a couple of months:)

Hope it's doing fine in the rest of Europe and the rest of the world also.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/07/zelda...is-the-number-one-selling-game-in-uk-5737766/

TPHD is topping the charts right now in the UK. It's surprising considering I thought there was only about 6 fans of Zelda over here but apparently there are more and they are simply hiding from me.

This just shows the popularity of Twilight Princess. Since 2006 I have considered it my favourite entry and it is good to see it do well and put bashers of the game in their rightful place. It just might indicate to Nintendo that it was a good direction to go in for the series and from what Aounuma says, TP inspired Zelda U and gave him ideas of what to do for the new game anyway. This hopefully means we wont have to endure another SS like entry in the future.
I just want to say that while TP certainly does have its merits, sales mean absolutely nothing in regards to the quality of the game.

For example, I think you would be the one who loves 3D Mario. Mario 64, the Galaxy games, ect. However, these games vastly undersell compared to the lower quality 2D Mario. Another, Zelda related example, is that A Link to the Past sold 2 million less than that of the Original Zelda. Despite being better in nearly every single way and being revolutionary in its time. The biggest offense though, is that Phantom Hourglass sold almost three times as much as The Minish Cap. So yeah, sales do not necessarily mean quality of a game. It merely means it has more appeal.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I just want to say that while TP certainly does have its merits, sales mean absolutely nothing in regards to the quality of the game.

For example, I think you would be the one who loves 3D Mario. Mario 64, the Galaxy games, ect. However, these games vastly undersell compared to the lower quality 2D Mario. Another, Zelda related example, is that A Link to the Past sold 2 million less than that of the Original Zelda. Despite being better in nearly every single way and being revolutionary in its time. The biggest offense though, is that Phantom Hourglass sold almost three times as much as The Minish Cap. So yeah, sales do not necessarily mean quality of a game. It merely means it has more appeal.

Initially yes but in the case of a remake it is mainly old players coming back for more and in this example of TP it will be because the original product was so good and was enjoyed by many people.

It doesn't do fans any good to have high quality titles do poorly in sales so when they do sell well it is a good thing. Not only does more people get to play the product but it usually encourages more similar products from the developers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom