• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top Five Gaming Worlds

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
One of my favorite things about playing games is that sense of adventure and exploration and where this originates from is the actual world itself. Now in-game worlds differ from one another of course, as you may have more of a sandbox world compared to a huge open world on the level of Skyrim etc.

I know it can be a hard decision for some as there has been a wide array of amazing worlds, so that's why I'vemade this list a top five as oopposed to just one favorite. So what would be your five choices and why?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Tyria (Guild Wars 2) - There's something to do at every single spot. When you 100% one map, you realize it's only one part of the bigger picture.

Cantha (Guild Wars Factions) - This world breathes culture. The OST, the world, the events...everything in Cantha is just so freaking amazing. I love it all.

Hyrule (Ocarina of Time) - It's empty, but it's amazing.

Elicoor (Star Ocean Till the End of Time)

Ivalice (Final Fantasy XII)

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) - The overworld is just beautiful and it's so massive and just let's you explore. The mountains are annoying though.

Termina (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)- Each region has it's own feel to it and there's just nothing like it.

Hyrule (The Legend of Zelda) - I think this is the definition of exploration and non linearity.

The Capital Wasteland (Fallout 3) - What's not fun about post-nuclear-apocalypse Washington D.C?

Tallon IV (Metroid Prime) - Same as Termina, none of the regions felt the same. Backtracking sucks though.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
Termina (Majora's Mask) The constant threat of the moon staring down at you
Dark World (A Link to the Past) Just for the music :)
Johto and Kanto (Pokémon) They're connected so they count
The World where Half-Life and Portal takes place - because science.
The UG (The World Ends with You) Yes it is just a parallel plane of existence of Shibuya, Tokyo, but the reapers game and noise only appear here

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Azeroth (World of Warcraft) - The World of Warcraft is massive, having areas of all types imaginable, from areas made of floating space rocks, to traditional forests and mountain peaks, World of Warcraft has an area for just about everybody.

Cyrodil (Elder Scrolls: Oblivion) - Again, a massive world with a lot of variety. Walking up a grassy hillside adorned with a myriad of flowers was simply breathtaking.

The Village (Animal Crossing: New Leaf) - A small contained world, but highly customizable. Plant trees to make an attractive walk way (or wherever you want!), grow fields of flowers (or even weeds, if that's your thing!), place buildings, benches, fountains, and many other items around the town. Make your own pathways. There's so much to do in such a small amount of space. Not to mention that the town starts to grow on you, too.

Hyrule (Twilight Princess) - Though it's my least favorite Zelda, I felt this did the best with the overworld. It was seamless and expansive.

Great Sea (Wind Waker)

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Do you mean favorite by coolest or the ones where we would like to live? There are some pretty cool game world which are hell holes...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Okay right, Top Gaming Worlds...

1. Mass Effect - People can say what they like about the gameplay changes of Mass Effect moving towards more action than RPG, about the storyline, about how big and evil EA is, but I think one thing Bioware did fantastic was create a very vibrant and great Universe. I love the ME Universe's races, the Krogans and Turians and Quarians, and the differences in their cultures and watching them interact, especially the crew of the Normandy, that I really loved that world. I'd love Bioware to return to it but without Commander Shephard. And I want to play as a Turian and call myself Garrus 2.
  2. Halo - Same as Mass Effect, really. People can accuse it of being quite generic and Chief being bland, but I loved the world Halo created. I really like the designs of the ships and armour, it really does look cool. If everyone wasn't trying to murder eachother all the time, I'd probably have fun in a world like that.
  3. Dawn of War (WH40K) - Sci-fi seems to be a theme for me here. Ironic that I usually don't actually enjoy Sci-fi, a Star Trek and Star Wars virgin over here, but I love the 40k world. It's been going on for so long that it's possibly one of the most refined worlds in gaming, and I love the races. It's great that, when it comes down to it, it's just generic fantasy. Humans, Elves, Evil. But re-creating all these in the future really gives it some originality, and I love the interaction between the races. Eldar and Ork talking to eachother in Retribution's campaign made me laugh from how different they were, when the Ork just shouts at them and calls them "posh little runts." Yep, that's definitely a good description to give Elves!
  4. Deus Ex - More Sci-fi, what's wrong with me? Well, this is Cyberpunk I guess, but, I love Deus Ex's world of augments. All the different physical augments in HR and then the neural ones in the original game were really cool, and I liked the future that they made. Definitely not a future I want to live in, mind you.
  5. Witcher - Because it's the Witcher!

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Knights of the Old Republic, This game has many different worlds/planets, but I tend to see them all as one. There weren't that many of them, nor were they that open but they did deliver. The music, the characters and stories really made you feel like you were in the Star Wars universe and were all visually appealing.

Star Wars: The Old Republic, Just like it's "prequel" this game has many different planets, one gigantic world. From a "hardcore gamer" perspective they are pretty boring, they have nothing rewarding to get from them and are way too easy. But just from an exploration perspective they are really cool, the tone and setting of each world really gets to you and some of the storylines found on each world can be really interesting just like KotOR. This game's worlds are much like KotOR's except they don't have as many interesting storylines but there are more of them though, are far more open and extremely huge (too big).

de_dust2, no words needed.

San Andreas (GTA), loved this fictional state. So many childhood memories roaming around this world, easiest way to describe it is a mix between California & Nevada and then just add a bunch of gangs on top of that. Am super happy that Los Santos (a city from San Andreas) is making a return in GTA V. <3

Stilwater (Saint's Row 2 version), just loved this city. The city was the definition of awesome; you had suburbs, highrises, downtown areas, ghettos, culturally diverse blocks, different dangerous gangs & crime organizations all in one city. Then there you were, standing around with the city just waiting for you go mad.

:)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
#5 - Vice City - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Vice City was, is, and perhaps always will be my favourite GTA game. Others were bigger, others were longer, other had more to do, but none of them were as vivid and well-realised as Vice was. I've always adored the 1980s, from the incredible music to the world changing politics to the abysmal fashion, and it's one of those almost irrational regrets I'm sure we all have that I did not live through them, even a bit (I suppose I was technically a small bundle of cells in December 1989 but that's hardly any real consolation). I'm not going to say Vice City captures the true essence of the decade because I never experienced it first hand and the game is made up of popular imagery of the 80s, providing an all encompassing spoof on the era, that isn't supposed to represent what it was like in a realistic sense. It also focuses a lot more on the 80s in America, as youd imagine of a city based on Miami, so even if it was realistic and I had been alive then it would have been a 'different' 80s I remembered, seeing as I'm from the north west of England (think less hot pink and New Wave, more grey streets and rioting). But for someone who admires the 80s from an outsider perspective, Vice City was a masterpiece through and through. I came to know its streets and its landmarks, its communities and its secrets. I could navigate the entire city without the need of a map and fell in love with the place completely. It'd be higher on the list if it wasn't kinda small compared to other GTA worlds but for what's packed into that space and how it's presented it more than deserves to be recognised.

#4 - Johto - Pokémon Silver

Silver was my first Pokémon game. I had played Red and Blue and even the abysmal Yellow, sure, but only from friends letting me have a go. I didn't own a Game Boy until I was 11 and Silver was the first game I had for it and to this day it remains my favourite Pokémon along with its remake. (and it always will since I won't be getting X or Y). I think maybe because of how I first played Red and Blue before I bought them for myself I always felt like a stranger in Kanto. I know that probably sounds really silly but I only ever got to see it in pieces, never as a whole, and I never knew the names of cities or landmarks or anything for a long time. With Johto it was totally different. I wasn't a tourist there, I was one of its citizens. I got to know the place and because by then the Pokémon craze had passed, it felt even more special because only me and a very small number of other people at my school knew about this place. The fact that Kanto could be accessed in the game helped that feeling immensely, because it was like having the world everyone else had but even more all to myself. Maybe that's a weird reason to love a game world but there it is.

#3 - Planet Zebes - Super Metroid

This is simply one of the most well-designed, well-constructed worlds in video game history. Anyone who's played it (which should be everyone because it's amazing) will know already how great this planet was to explore and traverse. So many secrets that I have never found them all. So many varied areas which all flow and fit together seamlessly. So much atmosphere that you could drown in it. Zebes felt like a real place and there were several things which really helped build that impression in your mind. For starters the vast majority of enemies are not Space Pirates but just the indigenous wildlife, fostering the impression that this is a mostly wild and untamed world. There's little touches in the backgrounds, perhaps the best example being just before you fight Kraid when you see a bunch of bugs crowded on something, they scatter as you approach, and you see they were swarming on a corpse. That adds atmosphere, a little bit of mystery and backstory, and fits in with the idea that Zebes is a living, breathing world with wild creatures all around. Accessing Maridia by destorying a glass bridge that is not suspect in any way at all makes it feels as though the world was built for purpose, not as a 'game', as well as giving you huge satisfaction in solving the little puzzle. Zebes is just a stroke of genius at every turn and absolutely nails what it was it was trying to achieve.

#2 - Raccoon City - Resident Evil franchise

I'm a major Resident Evil fan and there's no way I could not include Raccoon City on a list like this because of that. I enjoyed the original game but it was Resident Evil 2 that made me a fan and it was Resident Evil 3 that made me love it. I spent so much time in the streets of Raccoon City that even now it sometimes feels weird having Resident Evil games which aren't set there. It's just iconic, not only to the franchise itself, but to video games in general. It's one of those classic horror settings alongside Silent Hill and Rapture that even people who've never played one of the games knows about it. I don't really know what to say, it's just the old story of city over-run by zombies but the inclusion of Umbrella makes it all so much more sinister. The way how the new Mayor, Michael Warren, was building the place up to be a city of the 21st century gives this element that the place was on the rise and the future was bright. You then have the idea that Umbrella helped spur on that development, pouring money into the city, even funding the building of the city's hospital, gaining the people's trust. It adds this extra layer of tragedy and deception and when the poop hits the poop-spreading-mechanism Umbrella pretend to help when really they're trying to capitalise on the scenario they are responsible for. It's like Raccoon City was on the up-and-up and then once Umbrella turned it all to crap they just didn't stop and deliberately made things as bad as they could. I just love it.

#1 - Vvardenfell Island - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

I frudging lived on Vvardenfell Island for about three years. My home was on the edge of the Ascadian Isles, an hour's walk from Balmora, and my egg mine was just on the other side of the river. On the weekends I'd go to Caldera or Pelagiad, enjoy a cold drink in Shenk's Shovel or the Halfway Tavern. I'd listen to the latest gossip, maybe do a little shopping even. On the weekdays I'd go where I darn well pleased since nobody could stop me (except Divayth Fyr) and I'd take all of my loot to Mzanch and then swim out east a little ways until I found my buyer, a mudcrab. It might have been strange to trade with a mudcrab but he always had plenty of gold and paid base value so I was getting the best out of th arrangement. I used to explore the sewers - sorry, underworks - beneath Vivec City and the things I'd find would turn you blue. Vampiric murderers, secret cults, a mad God, even an organisation of assassins! Yes, it sure was great living in the south east of Vvardnfell. Azura's Coast and the Zafirbel Bay were not so pleasant but then that's what you get when you let Telvanni wizards grow giant mushroom towers all over the darn place. The Grazelands were lovely though, just a shame about the filthy Ashlanders. And the ash storms. And the blight disease. And the nightmares. And the cliff racers, oh, the cliff racers. Give me a herd of Kagouti over a single cliff racer any day. But for all the things that bothered me about living there I never could stop loving the place. I long to go back but my work in Cyrodiil and Skyrim has had me far too busy, sadly. The closest I've gotten was Solstheim, but happy day, the eruption of Red Mountain left the southern part of the island looking exactly like the Molag Amur region so it was like being back home. I even saw a Silt Strider for the first time in an age! But still, when allw as said and done the familiarity only made me long for my true home all the more. I don't think I'll ever stop loving Vvardenfell, not even after I die.

MW7

Banjo Kazooie- I find the quality of the levels in this game amazing. Treasure Trove Cove, Freezeezy Peak, and Click Clock Wood were all especially phenomenal. I didn't even play this game until a couple of years ago, and for me it compared very favorably to modern games that were coming out at the time. All the levels are set up to be a little confusing at first but conducive to speedrunning on later playthroughs. I love the game's straightforwardness. There are many instances in which you can get jiggies within seconds of each other if you remember what to do. There's virtually no filler at all in the entire game.

Majora's Mask- Clock Town is my favorite hub of any game with lots of fun side content. I love helping out the residents, getting their masks, and then wearing the masks around to find out more about them.

Super Mario 64- I really love the amount of choice a player has in this game. You only need 70 of the games 120 stars. That in percentage terms is a failing grade at most schools. What I love is that it grants me the freedom to focus on the levels that I enjoy most. You can totally skip several levels and still beat the game. I don't know why more games don't follow this model of having the player choose their own adventure and leave a great portion of the game as optional. Personally I loved most of the levels and I would use this freedom to skip my least favorite individual missions.

Wind Waker- I thought sailing fit well into the Zelda universe although it could have been better implemented. My favorite thing about this overworld is that it is the only 3d Zelda with one giant interconnected piece of space with no overworld hallways. No other 3d game feels like as great a tribute to the original game as this one. The player is restricted for 2 dungeons, but after that it's completely open.

The Simpson's Hit and Run- I just really love the Simpsons. Although the game is technically lackluster, just being in the Simpsons world made it fun for me.

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
5. Panau Island (Just Cause 2)
It just is so big and fun too mess around in. There is stuff to do everywhere you go. The funnest part? Talking the double decker buss and driving it off a cliff.

4. Skyrim (Skyrim)
Take the first two sentences of the entry above and times them by ten. Yeah, there's THAT much stuff to do and explore. The funnest part? Taking out all of the Whiterun guards in your underpants. Skill.

3. Hyrule (Twilight Princess)
While not nearly as big as the previous two, TP's Hyrule is so nostalgic for me. TP was my first Zelda game, so maybe just a little bias..... The funnest part? Just takin' Epona on a tour of the land.

2. World of Balance/World of Ruin (Final Fantasy 6)
This place combines quantity with quality. The World of Balance was great before, but after the midpoint of the game it switches into the World of Ruin. Every major landmark still exists, but they are now moved around greatly, forcing you to learn the overworld a second time. The funnest part? Finding a secret Choccobo stable and listening to that sweet, sweet music.

1. The Galaxies (Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2)
What's not to love about the Galaxies? The hubs of those games are some of the most memorable places ever. And the Galaxies that branch from them... You've got everything. Ice, fire, sand, ghost, electricity, ocean, ball rolling, bubble mazes, Bowser planets, ect. And there's even stuff you didn't even know you wanted. Did you know before you got Galaxy 2 that you wanted to get Perfect Run on Grandmaster Galaxy? Did you know that you wanted to fly across the STARTING PLANET in Galaxy 1? Of course you didn't. The funnest part? Taking one controller(Wiimote) and having your friend take the other(Nunchuck). The tricky platforming and perfect level design of some places make this way of playing ten times funner and harder than the way it it supposed to be played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom