• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Toon Zelda in Next SSB?

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
I had just recently got Super Smash Bros Brawl (which I suck at) and two of my favorite characters to play as is Sheik (not Zelda, SHEIK) and Toon Link. It came to my attention that the soon to come WiiU will most likely bring in yet another SSB game. I was thinking that it would be awesome if it had a Toon Zelda/Tetra character to play as. Who else agrees?

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Hey there, germ. Welcome aboard the Smash Bros. bandwagon. There is indeed a fourth installment in development for both Wii U and 3DS. This time, however, Sakurai is teaming up with Namco Bandai (Tekken, Ridge Racer, etc. creator) over Hal Laboratory.

I've wanted a Toon Zelda character myself but that would create too many moveset clones along the lines of Fox, Falco, and Wolf being near identical fighters. This time around I believe Toon Link should be switched out for Young Link especially due to the recent release of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Moreover, that character's moveset differentiates itself slightly more from adult Link's.

Apparently Toon Zelda was intended to be in Brawl, but was scrapped due to the lack of a Toon Sheik design.

Beta elements - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki

I for one don't see Toon Zelda in Super Smash Bros for the same reason as the developers. Anyway If Toon Zelda were included in the next Super Smash bros, then it would be based off of the Zelda in Spirit Tracks, which kinda rules out the idea of being able to switch between Zelda and Tetra since the Zelda in Spirit Tracks is Tetra's Ancestor.

I want toon link to be in the next SSB. :lol:
I don't think he will, because the current link it's already pretty cartooney. :lol:

While I do enjoy Toon Link in Brawl, I'm pretty confident he will not be in the next Smash Brothers game. It has been almost a decade since his game and unless he is replaced by the Spirit Tracks version I don't see him staying in the roster as he is basically a carbon copy of regular Link with a few aesthetic changes and tweaks in movement. Even though I was never a big fan of Young Link, I think they could revive the character in his MM entity and I would make the character notably different.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Apparently Toon Zelda was intended to be in Brawl, but was scrapped due to the lack of a Toon Sheik design.

Darn, I wanted to be the one to give that information! I should have woken up earlier. :P Yes, Toon Zelda has data in the Brawl disc, she was, a one point in time, considered to be playable in Brawl.

I would not like to see a playable Toon Zelda or Tetra character. Like ALIT said, there are already too many characters along the lines of being semi-clones of each other. The fact that there were several literally copy-pasted characters in Melee, and the developers nerfed these characters movesets to difference them from their influences (or removed them entirely) shows that Sakurai is now against the thought of clones. There was a rumour before its release that Brawl would have no clones, and despite be unbelieved at first, it turned out to be somewhat true. He would be silly to add another clone character and not create even further differences between these already existing pairs of characters.

"But what if Toon Zelda isn't a clone?" Well, if this is the case, I still think she shouldn't be a playable character. Series in Super Smash Bros. really shouldn't exceed four characters (with the transforming characters not counting). With Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and the younger Link many hope for, I personally feel that's enough. =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom