• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tiny Hyrule

Darknut

time to panic
I believe this rumor hasn't been proven, correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyrule is said to be bigger and supposed to have more people, right? I really like this idea, because the stories and tales of Hyrule make it sound so big and powerful, but in the games Hyrule has a population of 100-200 Hylains/other species more or less. Hyrule in OoT, I thought, was really, really small. On the globe Hyrule would be nothing but a speck! Hyrule is like a tiny island that you can easily travel from one end to another.

In TP things improved, not by much though. The population increased in some areas, like the people of Castle Town. But then again the Gerudos and Kokiri were removed. Hyrule was bigger, but only because Hyrule field was twice as big.

I think one of the reasons I like WW so much is because I loved how big it was, although not very big in population, there was a lot to explore and I loved that about it. The vastness of it left much more secrets like caves, islands, or enemy posts to be discovered.

So this rumor really appeals to me because I like to think of Hyrule as a great, strong kingdom...not a tiny island. Also the more people means the more side quests are available, and more land means many more areas to be explored! What are your thoughts on this?

J

jora

if you watched some videos of SS play threw i remember in one of them a guy who was playing pulled up the map, the way the map opens is brand new by the way it: zooms out ounce you press it above link and that sandbox area that they were playing in was massive it was huge your just a tiny itty bitty little speck on the map, so it will probably be a bigger scale hyrule and i hope that the people are just as a plenty more memorable characters and great story! but i still relish to see a zelda game where all the races that were ever presented to us were present in the game

A

Ardwen

I agree, it would be great to see all the various Zelda races present in SS. With this story being set prior to OoT, it would be nice to see them all intermingle in a peaceable way.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
I agree with Athenian with the size to population/character ratio, I mean, tp had an almost unbearably empty field, but that was because of a space limitation. They only had the 1.4 gigs of space. Now they can even use the two layer disks that have almost 4x the space. That would be more than big enough to make room for the few billion needed bokoblins and side characters

Darknut

time to panic
What exactly are you asking? If you're asking whether Hyrule seems tiny, I would say that in game terms, it's not.

However, if you're asking whether we would like the land to be larger, I would say no. I would prefer a small world with more character/story depth.

Sorry I'll clarify what I'm asking. Would you rather have a bigger Hyrule with with more space and more people or not and why?

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
more space=more people=more sidequests=more hearts pieces=more life= more chance to defeat game=more chance of you seeing the end credits= you can do walkthrough more easily= more people to start the cycle all over again

Last edited:

Ganondork

goo
Personally, I love big Hyrule, it made games like AlttP more fun; even though that game didn't have much space, I still loved navigating through it and discovering all of it's secrets. The more the merrier! Think about it, most of the amazing legend of zelda games had either a large area, or had two different time or space dimensions in which Hyrule was in a way altered. Like the Dark World, 7 years in the future, a day or two forward in which an event happened and characters behave differently. Think about it, sometimes using these different dimensions even helped you reach new areas! I mean really, who wouldn't love a bigger Hyrule? Not to mention the addition of Skyloft will make it even more spacious!

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Sure, it can be big, but there has to be stuff to do in it. WW was terrible at this. Most of the islands were just thrown in there for a heart piece, and then you never went to it again. TP improved a little, but it was still bad with not much to do. ALttP was a great example, there was stuff everywhere, so I would like to see something like that again.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Well it's all relative to your perception of the games and how the creators WANT you to see the games. Think of it this way, you said that in OoT Hyrule was small and it took very little time to actually cross the map in the game. I would agree that this is true. The map is rather small and easy to cross, but you have to think about it in game time. If you play OoT and actually walk from village to village or from anywhere to Hyrule, the game time changes from day to night once or twice signifying that in the games time frame you are actually traveling for a couple days as opposed to a couple minutes. If you went from the two furthest points on the map and started walking in OoT it would probably take three or four game days to do so (but only a couple minutes our time). Three to four days is about how long it would take to travel across the US. This would roughly make Hyrule the size of USA, so technically Hyrule is not small at all, it's only perceived small because the time in the game travels way faster than time in the real world.

Also, if you had a HUGE map then people would complain about all the traveling needed in the game. People already complained about boating in WW and PH and traveling by train in ST. While making a bigger map seems awesome because there would probably be more to do, think about how that would effect the stuff you HATE, like long distance traveling. This could easily be solved with a spell or song that teleports Link but then what would be the point of the larger map if you aren't going to physically cross it?

Darknut

time to panic
Well it's all relative to your perception of the games and how the creators WANT you to see the games. Think of it this way, you said that in OoT Hyrule was small and it took very little time to actually cross the map in the game. I would agree that this is true. The map is rather small and easy to cross, but you have to think about it in game time. If you play OoT and actually walk from village to village or from anywhere to Hyrule, the game time changes from day to night once or twice signifying that in the games time frame you are actually traveling for a couple days as opposed to a couple minutes. If you went from the two furthest points on the map and started walking in OoT it would probably take three or four game days to do so (but only a couple minutes our time). Three to four days is about how long it would take to travel across the US. This would roughly make Hyrule the size of USA, so technically Hyrule is not small at all, it's only perceived small because the time in the game travels way faster than time in the real world.

Also, if you had a HUGE map then people would complain about all the traveling needed in the game. People already complained about boating in WW and PH and traveling by train in ST. While making a bigger map seems awesome because there would probably be more to do, think about how that would effect the stuff you HATE, like long distance traveling. This could easily be solved with a spell or song that teleports Link but then what would be the point of the larger map if you aren't going to physically cross it?

Thanks, you bring up a good point. But to answer your last questions, like I said before, I see Hyrule as a big strong kingdom and the bigger the kingdom is the more side quests and areas to explore there would be. You could teleport to get to main areas quicker, but if you are just going around to explore I think that crossing it physically would kick in around here.

Bigger land is good if done right. I'd rather have more stuff to do in a smaller area than less stuff to do in a bigger area.
If they have big forests and big mountain terrain to explore with lots of variety in side-quests, characters, caves, mini-dungeons, hidden areas, etc, the bigger the better!
But if its just a big empty field, I'm not down. I'd rather have a small empty field.

I agree with link-182, big, but as long as there is A LOT to do, but small if it doesn't fill the big map.

R

Reign

That it very true, but I think Darknut means how big Hyrule is physically as in spacious.

I would love a bigger Hyrule, as long as that means more to do. I always loving extra side-quests or extra unexplored area to uncover :)

Z

ZeldaLinkFan

I would love a bigger Hyrule. With more shops too I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom