• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeshift Stones/Ocarina of Time Theory

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I'm really not sure if this actually counts as a theory, but as I haven't got the Hyrule Historia and haven't read this on ZD, I thought I'd post my 2 pence idea about the timeshift stones anyway.

I was always curious about the way they function- the way when you move them around, the area around them shows as a restored area from the past, for example in the Lanayru Desert where it transforms to grass from dry sand.

Then, there is of course an obvious factor about them- their blueish colour.

The Ocarina of Time is blue....

*dun dun dunnnnn*

anyway

I was thinking how Link travels between being a child and adult in OoT. It does appear to be a similar form of changing time- going back via the Ocarina of Time restores the world to how it once was, before Ganondorf takes over. It doesn't undo events (just like if you keep on moving, the area the timeshift stone changed will still be desert).

So, stating the obvious here, is it possible SS Link made the Ocarina of Time out of the timeshift stone and thus used it to seal the Master Sword's pedestal behind the Door of Time, the Ocarina of Time being the key that only the Hero of Time would be able to use to open it. I mean, the inscription says "The Ocarina of Time opened the door. The Hero of Time, with the Master Sword, descended here." Obviously, the Ocarina was passed down and kept safe by the Royal Family, and Zelda had premonitions which showed OoT Link was the Hero of Time, which was the only reason she handed it over.

Like I said, this isn't really a theory- it's kind of up there with the Goddess Harp/Sheik's Harp.

Even so, I'd like to know what you think- or if you can possibly refine this garbled explanation :party:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I've actually heard this theory before, and it seems quite credible. It would only make sense if the way to time travel was by use of items used for time travel, and it would also explain the blue colour. The Ocarina of Time also appears in Majora's Mask, and allows one to completely manipulate time by traveling ahead, backwards, and even slow down time itself. All of these things just put more credibility into the theory that the Ocarina of Time is in fact made out of the same material as the timeshift stones!

I do not, however, believe that Link himself constructed said instrument. It was said that the Ocarina of Time was passed through the Hyrulean Royal Family, which would mean that the original Hyrulean settlers built the Ocarina after they first arrived in Hyrule, and a royal family was established. This would make sense seeing as Zelda is the one who originally possesses the Ocarina in the game. :yes:

Another theory i've had is that Rauru made the Ocarina of time when he built the Temple of Time, as a means to get into the Master Sword's chamber. He used the same material as the timeshift stones to construct an instrument with the power of time, as a way to guide the Hero of Time when the time came. The Ocarina does have obvious connections with the Temple of Time, so it would make sense that the ToT's builder had made the instrument needed to access it.
How many times can one possibly use the word 'time' in a paragraph?

Last edited:

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Not sure about SS Link making it, but I think that more likely than not, the Ocarina of Time is made out of Timeshift Stone. I mean, HH even went out of its way to note their similarities twice, suggesting it strongly and all but confirming it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I see time as one of the many elements within the series, for example we have wind, water, fire, sand etc. I would view time as one of the elements within the Zelda series. In Skyward Sword It's kind of referred to as an element, the Ancient Robots situated within Lanayru actually dig for these "Time Stones" kind of reminiscent to the way the Gorons would with rocks.

So in a way these stones are treated as a natural resource not so much as just a magical power that one would obtain. It would seem that this element (Timeshift Stone) would be used to create the Time Blocks seen in Ocarina of Time as well as the Door of Time and finally the Ocarina of Time itself. I think it's a very plausible theory however I wouldn't say SS Link created the Ocarina, but we don't know that for sure.

However I kind of have a theory of my own that links into the things you mentioned, the Door of Time itself is more of a block than anything, it doesn't really relate to time itself, however how does one access beyond the door? One needs all three "Spiritual Stones" as well as the Ocarina of Time. Now in my opinion I see a link between the Spiritual Stones and the actual Timeshift Stones. Well for one both are stones, so both are retrievable elements, however due the similar style of the stones themselves and the relation to time I believe they are one of the same. It's a weak theory I know but I just thought I would add it in here.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I do not, however, believe that Link himself constructed said instrument. It was said that the Ocarina of Time was passed through the Hyrulean Royal Family

It is pretty much fact that Link and Zelda form the first royal family (I will haunt your descendent's etc etc) so it could easily have been Link and/or Zelda- also perhaps Groose, haha

I only take issue with the Rauru thing because I'm pretty sure Rauru is the reincarnation or something along those lines of Zelda's dad in SS. His name is Gaebora and Kaepora Gaebora in OoT is Rauru. And if I'm honest, Zelda's dad struck me as a good guy, but no inventor of magical instruments. Which is a good point now I think about it: maybe it was Groose. He invented that bomb after all.

So in a way these stones are treated as a natural resource not so much as just a magical power that one would obtain. It would seem that this element (Timeshift Stone) would be used to create the Time Blocks seen in Ocarina of Time as well as the Door of Time and finally the Ocarina of Time itself. I think it's a very plausible theory however I wouldn't say SS Link created the Ocarina, but we don't know that for sure.

However I kind of have a theory of my own that links into the things you mentioned, the Door of Time itself is more of a block than anything, it doesn't really relate to time itself, however how does one access beyond the door? One needs all three "Spiritual Stones" as well as the Ocarina of Time. Now in my opinion I see a link between the Spiritual Stones and the actual Timeshift Stones. Well for one both are stones, so both are retrievable elements, however due the similar style of the stones themselves and the relation to time I believe they are one of the same. It's a weak theory I know but I just thought I would add it in here.

So many good points: first of all, I agree they seem elemental, but they are all but mined to death by the time of the present day in SS, which is thousands of years before OoT, so there's a pretty good chance there weren't too many left. And as you said, if they gathered all the stones they still had to make the time blocks, ocarina, and so on and so forth, there probably weren't many left over if any. The element thing is interesting both in terms of the Spiritual Stones (which I didn't even think about when I made this thread, but they could have a thread of their own I think) and also in terms of the elements/things represented by the Sages.

I'm not saying necessarily the OoT medallions are made out of timeshift stones... that doesn't seem likely. However, the other sages are all solid or at least substantial things be they forest, fire, water (actual elements, or at least forest is pretty much earth and wind in one) but also shadow and spirit and light are measurable in some context in the game- shadow being ghosts and the supernatural, spirit being courage exemplified by Nabooru's defiance of Ganondorf (I'm only using this example to help explain what I'm getting at) and light being... well both light in the sunshine sense and light in the good vs evil sense, and these all have representations in Hyrule in some tangible. But there is a Sage of Time too, AKA Zelda. So I suppose the timeshift stones could conceivably have been the manifestation in some way of time on earth.

I think your theory is good, not weak, but I think it could tie in with what I'm saying and they kind of back each other up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom