• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Time Confusion in MM

At the beginning of Majora's Mask the skullkid steels the mask from the HMS... Then you chase him to Termina where you goes onto the clock "pulling" the moon down. So my question is when exactly does the skullkid with the mask wreak all the other havoc in termina he should have done like opening the doors of stone tower, hitting down Koume("I was just busy minding my own business, picking mushrooms, when... BAM! I got hit from behind! That pesky Skull Kid!"... don't tell me she was laying there for days and he did that before having the mask), attacking some more people "Young one! Please hear my plea! I have been broken and shattered to pieces by the masked Skull Kid.", he also brings epona to the ranch way to fast for my taste...? He also should have done some more things and it is said in the game that without the mask he was a good guy... So when has he done all that?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Well, first of all, we don't know how long Skull Kid is in Termina before Link enters. I mean, sure, we meet him in what seems to be the Lost Woods. But maybe Skull Kid knows how to get in and out, seeing as he's already got MM before Link enters after him. So he could've had however much time he needed to start wreaking havoc on Termina and it just so happens Link came along. Secondly, as Link can go backwards and forwards over the three day period yet the changes he makes are saved, who's to say Skull Kid doesn't follow Link on the time? I mean to say, when Link plays the Song of Time to go back, maybe he takes Skull Kid and Termina with him. Also, with the power of Majora's Mask, he can probably do anything. I mean, without the mask, he's just a skull kid, literally. They're mischievous but not evil or really that powerful. So we can assume that he's perfectly capable of causing everything to happen pretty much immediately. Also, arguably, it's kind of indicated in the game that it's the moon falling that is causing all the horrible things to happen. So all he'd have to do is make the Moon start faling, and bam, everything else happens as a result, pretty much instantaneously.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Its semi my belief that the world that Termania is in came from the skull kid himself, as either he created it directly, or it was in some part a reflection of his mind. Made possible by majora's mask or even perhaps before the mask. He was refrenced to have been there when that world was made, by its guardian gods, and that he was their friend that they forgive and all that. So he could have easily had lots of time on Link to do stuff.

Also possibly that time flows faster in Termania then it does in Hyrule. Think about it he took the horse and ran off into Termania but he did it a few minutes ahead of Link, who then chased after him thru the warp. Its possible that on the Termania side of the warp, hours or days have already passed, in the time Link enters.

And the witch in the woods, is simply old hurt, fallen and can't get up with out help. She's not a young lady you know, it could take days before she'd finally die out there, even if she were unable to get up.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
iirc, SkullKid doesn't stay there the whole time. He/Majora just animates the moon, causing it to fall on its own accord in order to "CONSUME...EVERYTHING".

he also brings epona to the ranch way to fast for my taste...?
I seem to remember that it's not entirely clear whether that's your horse or its Termina counterpart. According to SkullKid, he "got rid of" your horse. The one at the ranch has supposedly been there since long before Link and SK enter Termina.

Garo

Boy Wonder
iirc, SkullKid doesn't stay there the whole time. He/Majora just animates the moon, causing it to fall on its own accord in order to "CONSUME...EVERYTHING".

I seem to remember that it's not entirely clear whether that's your horse or its Termina counterpart. According to SkullKid, he "got rid of" your horse. The one at the ranch has supposedly been there since long before Link and SK enter Termina.

I had also thought this was the case, and was very very sad upon realizing that likelihood. The idea of the real Epona being either lost somewhere or dead while Link has a new horse that he thinks is Epona is very sad.

At any rate - Tatl's story upon Link seeing the drawing before entering the Southern Swamp states that the Skull Kid's personality changed after he found the mask, indicating that there was a fairly significant amount of time between the theft of the mask from the HMS and his robbery of Link in the Lost Woods - there had to be in order for such a change in personality to be noted. I imagine that it is during this time that the Skull Kid/Majora commits the various acts of mischief that put Termina in the state that it is in at the time the game begins in earnest.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I never considered the possibility that it wasn't the same horse. An equally possible scenario to a time differential between the worlds. But didn't the horse recognize you too? I'll have to replay majora's to see exactly what happens at the ranch.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I never considered the possibility that it wasn't the same horse. An equally possible scenario to a time differential between the worlds. But didn't the horse recognize you too? I'll have to replay majora's to see exactly what happens at the ranch.
Yes I believe it does, hence the uncertainty. It recognizes you, yet Romani and/or Cremia acts like it's been theirs all along.

Yes I believe it does, hence the uncertainty. It recognizes you, yet Romani and/or Cremia acts like it's been theirs all along.

Perhaps this indicates that there is another counterpart of link in termina? Or the horses where switched when they went for a walk and Skullkid got rid of the wrong horse so that the termina horse got lost and the real epona is at the range which would explain why the horse recognizes you but Romani and Cremia think it's theirs?

There's a theory that Time in Termina passes differently than in Hyrule. So in the time that Link got to Termina, the Skull Kid could have already been there for some days, even if in Hyrule it passed about 2 minutes...

Found this in the updated HH "Link borrowed Epona from Lon Lon Ranch.
And after several months of wandering looking for his past friend Navi, he was lost in a mysterious forest.
In the forest, there was a way to the parallel universe called Termina." and the page after that "Skull Kid mischievously stole the Ocarina of Time and Epona from Link and he was changed into the form of a Deku."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom