• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Thoughts Towards the Zelda Series?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The impetus behind this thread was mostly a collaborative one: we've seen many threads like "what are your thoughts about Skyward Sword" or "favorite item from XYZ title", but I can't recall ever seeing a thread about the thoughts towards the Zelda series as a whole. So, let your thoughts be heard! What are your favorite things about the series, and your gripes? Where could the series improve, and where do you think it has reached almost-perfection?

Kirino

Tatakae
You know I kinda like Zelda. I mean, I'm not a huge fanatic or any thing about it, but I think it's kind of cool. It's a pretty fair franchise yeah.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Best Gaming Series Ever. It has driven through and adapted to every console, resolution, and technical change while delivering an amazing adventure for the past 26.5 years. The games have won the hearts of millions, and the franchise has been able to do this by an unprecedented ability to generate new ideas while respecting tradition. It's puts other franchises to shame, and I just can't wrap my head around how Shigeru and his cronies can do it again and again. May we see another 26.5 years of awesomeness. Zelda Forever!

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I really like the Zelda series, but it's not my number one (1) all time favorite. I feel that the series is a great source of entertainment, but of course it has its obvious flaws. Such flaws vary per game, so there is no notable/definite fault to the series. I feel one significant strong point would be that this franchise provides a fantastic adventure for Link, and the player each and every time. It really never gets old.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
A miss and hit series--yes in that order. It seems to have a series of poor titles, then a series of good titles, then a series of poor titles again, and then another series of good titles.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Honestly I love the series, but at the same time, my love for the series declines each year.

Maybe Alttp2 will revive what i loved again. PH/ ST/ TP really didn't help the series for me at all, don't get me wrong I really liked PH, but i would have LOVED the game if it let me use buttons, ST it improves on PH's controls but with a plot thats 50 times more stupid, wee trains, wee people in wheel chairs that are also trains and called Lokomos (dumbest race ever). PH had its charm, Linebeck and Ciella made it a rather enjoyable game. I'm just not a fan of the touch controls, and spirit tracks really lacked any charm or appeal elsewhere to make up for the gameplay.

TP i've written quite a bit on why i don't like it, if any one feels like searching, I love the art/music of the game, but hate the game itself for mechanic and flow and story reasons.

I'll get around to playing SS one of these days....

Last real 2d zelda game was minish cap, it was alright and all that, but felt weaker to me then the oracle games that preceded it. Which btw i loved the oracle games. Maybe its not fair to hold minish cap up against them, I'd still rate minish cap highly, but not my favorite, not something I'd go back and play very often.

So I mean, I'll have to wait and see, what comes in the future, but you have no idea how happy alttp2 makes me, its like they remembered 2d games were fun and touch controls suck.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My thoughts of the series are these: it's doomed. Nah, just kidding. I may not like many of the titles released but they all have their own individual charms, you know? I just wish the series would pick up and stop being all family friendly and start being about world-building and being a GAME...something to take seriously on your times off. :I

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The main thing I like about Zelda is its replay value. I can play each game as many times as I want and not get tired of it. This is because each game has a different playing experience each time you play it, especially the less linear titles. One can also play the game straight through first, then play again and attempt to 100% it, or speedrun it. There are almost countless ways to play each game, and I love it!

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I love the LoZ series! It is my favourite video game franchise, though I will admit that it does have some flaws. I love the rich storyline, awesome music, and vast overworld this game offers. The replay value is also great - after beating it the first time there are many challenges one could do after, it never gets old. I don't have many gripes with the franchise itself. It's a great series that pretty much made my childhood.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Favourite video game series, and best story-telling game series on top of that. Not all the games have been great, sure, but I think without picking out individual titles we didn't like so much and actually answering the question as a whole, I think it's great, not perfect, but it definitely sets an example to other adventure games.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
The gameplay, music and overall feel of the games are always fantastic. Sometimes we can get some lackluster story-telling, but never so bad that it's unplayable. Of all the Zelda games I've played, I don't think there's one in the franchise that I hate. Sure, there's one or two that aren't my favourite but not a single one that I can honestly say I didn't get a decent amount of enjoyment out of. And I don't know, there's just this... charm that comes with Zelda. I can't quite place what it is, I just know it's there.

What are your favorite things about the series,
and your gripes?
Where could the series improve,
and where do you think it has reached almost-perfection?

Overall what i feel towards the Zelda series at this current point in time is that it is a series blanketed by the protection of pretension; criticising it is like being blasphemous and while about ten years ago that would have been true, recently there is more call for it to be given harsh criticisms and for them to be true and show the series' current true colours, i believe that right now the series hanging on to credibility by a thread...

What i love about the series is that it is compelling, any new game could be anything and it could be the next best thing in gaming, thid alone keeps me interested in the series even though nintendo are afraid to pull out all of the stops.

Gripes about the series is that nintendo dont care enough about the story or recently the game's content if you look at games like SS. its like they know Zelda sells millions so why make the next game better than the last when they can just bang something out with the title on it...

the series could improve in every regard, gameplay ideas, the usage of items not just focused on hardware which is apparent now more than ever. Storylines should stop being used as 'appendices to gameplay' and actually mean something, tell a coherent story throughout the series and even the title as a stand alone, far too many Zelda games dont even mak sense within their own individuality.

where did the series reach perfection?
Well everyone has their golden age of Zelda but i think from ALttP to WW is the series golden age and best run of games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom