• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Thoughts on the Ganondorf Implication

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The implication that since this is the first Ganondorf, that he's been deep underground Hyrule during the entirety of the series besides SS, and could theoretically have been reawakened at any time, even while there was another Ganondorf running around.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Don't buy it. This is the third ganondorf and this all takes place after any other game we know of pre-botw. That's more believable to me and thats where I think the implications lead. one day ill find those sources again
gotta love the yeetuber theorists that are so bold in their claims of the game not contradicting the lore, yet person A says the game's backstory is after SS and is the actual founding of hyrule, while person B says its after some catastrophe after the rest of the games and this is a refounding

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Paraphrasing from my friend who injects lore into his bloodstreams: its kinda crazy to think totk Ganondorf could have been hiding under hyrule for the entire series, especially when we consider totk states that the Great Calamity 100 years prior to BotW is what initially weakened his seal. If we assume that he was hiding in the basement in every game then why didn't the seal weaken when the castle was destroyed in OoT or wrecked in TP? Why is there never any mention of the Zonai anywhere else if it's common knowledge in BotW's era? (yeah they didn't conceptually exist back then but still). Also in the Japanese text Sonia is stated to be from the Hyrule clan so clearly there had to have been a Hyrule prior to TotK's backstory if Sonia is from the Hyrule family. The refounding is the answer that makes the most sense.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Paraphrasing from my friend who injects lore into his bloodstreams: its kinda crazy to think totk Ganondorf could have been hiding under hyrule for the entire series, especially when we consider totk states that the Great Calamity 100 years prior to BotW is what initially weakened his seal. If we assume that he was hiding in the basement in every game then why didn't the seal weaken when the castle was destroyed in OoT or wrecked in TP? Why is there never any mention of the Zonai anywhere else if it's common knowledge in BotW's era? (yeah they didn't conceptually exist back then but still). Also in the Japanese text Sonia is stated to be from the Hyrule clan so clearly there had to have been a Hyrule prior to TotK's backstory if Sonia is from the Hyrule family. The refounding is the answer that makes the most sense.
b/c this game wants to act like a reboot w/o actually saying it is, so its baggage is bumping around plot threads of the other games w/o any consideration

I certainly would rather the game's backstory be something that happens after the rest of the series, but the game never gave me a reason to think that's the case, beyond the contradictions, it's just nothing really backs up the idea of this being a refounding

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm dubious of any claim that there's more than one Ganon. I don't think TotK set out to establish any sort of alternate Ganon, I think it did what Zelda games tend to do: ignore the lore and just introduce more contradictory information.

Reactions: Sal
The implication that since this is the first Ganondorf, that he's been deep underground Hyrule during the entirety of the series besides SS, and could theoretically have been reawakened at any time, even while there was another Ganondorf running around.
I think it explains the constantly reviving Ganondorf way better than Demise's vague curse. It's not that the Gerudo randomly get an evil male every 100 years, it's that the leaking malice from deep below Hyrule Castle is and was fundamentally corrupting a part of Hyrule from the deepest Depths. As it seeped, it corrupted intelligent Gerudo life before, as its influence and power weakened, just turning into a mindless monster.

Or there were two overlapping Ganondorfs? That's such a worse answer. I don't like that implication.
Don't buy it. This is the third ganondorf and this all takes place after any other game we know of pre-botw. That's more believable to me and thats where I think the implications lead. one day ill find those sources again
In the CT?

gotta love the yeetuber theorists that are so bold in their claims of the game not contradicting the lore, yet person A says the game's backstory is after SS and is the actual founding of hyrule, while person B says its after some catastrophe after the rest of the games and this is a refounding
Yeah, there is contradicting lore literally everywhere, and this idea of multiple timelines does not make it easier to parse what is what. I promise you all that deterministic linear timeline is the easiest way to deal with these contradictions, but this is a losing battle especially when people now think that there are actually FOUR timelines, woah crazy, every time something doesn't work, let's just add a new timeline, so fun I love Zelda theory.

He is so so so deep. 1200 meters deep to start with, but there are also fully built Zonai ruins going down to 2400 meters. That's deeper than any cave on Earth (the 2400), 49th deepest cave using the 1200 number. Minor damage to the 500 meters above thee surface is kind of inconsequential. The bigger revelation is that there's been an Underworld under Hyrule the whole time, but there's been an Underworld since Zelda 1 so it's not that revealing.

I certainly would rather the game's backstory be something that happens after the rest of the series, but the game never gave me a reason to think that's the case, beyond the contradictions, it's just nothing really backs up the idea of this being a refounding
Except that the Rito were not part of the founding of Hyrule. This is known for a fact. You can handwave other contradictions, but the Rito simply were not present any time before OoT. Whatever "founding of Hyrule" is described in the beginning of TotK, it must be at some point after the evolution of the Rito. Or we can use non-canonical Watarara, but that seems like a stretch.

I'm dubious of any claim that there's more than one Ganon. I don't think TotK set out to establish any sort of alternate Ganon, I think it did what Zelda games tend to do: ignore the lore and just introduce more contradictory information.
So you think it's a refounding? Or you think the other Ganon's are part of a malice-seeping sealed Ganondorf like the Calamity/Cataclysm?

Nintendo doesn't care about continuity.
I honestly wish they never made official lore docs so that they could keep this mirage going. The fact that they supposedly have internal docs for how their insane lore makes sense, only to contradict it in game after game, is kind of rage-inducing.

Reactions: Sal

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I honestly wish they never made official lore docs so that they could keep this mirage going. The fact that they supposedly have internal docs for how their insane lore makes sense, only to contradict it in game after game, is kind of rage-inducing.
It's frustrating. If they want to pull a Final Fantasy and keep every game standalone then just do it. Don't put on the show of pretending you care about continuity while openly not giving a **** with each new installment.

It's frustrating. If they want to pull a Final Fantasy and keep every game independent then just do it. Don't put on the show of pretending you care about continuity while openly not giving a **** with each new installment.
And then they give cryptic interviews of "oh, we aren't revealing BotW's timeline placement but we know it haha" no you don't no you absolutely do not. Now we have two Imprisoning Wars, probably two foundings of Hyrule, two Raurus, potentially two overlapping Ganons, two Temples of Time, an ancient hitherto unheard of race, and seven TotK backstory interpretations, none of which they have an explanation for, but we'll be getting an encyclopedia update in like 5-10 years.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
And then they give cryptic interviews of "oh, we aren't revealing BotW's timeline placement but we know it haha" no you don't no you absolutely do not. Now we have two Imprisoning Wars, probably two foundings of Hyrule, two Raurus, potentially two overlapping Ganons, two Temples of Time, an ancient hitherto unheard of race, and seven TotK backstory interpretations, none of which they have an explanation for, but we'll be getting an encyclopedia update in like 5-10 years.
I can't wait for the inevitable dumb leaps of logic said book will make to explain this nonsense.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Except that the Rito were not part of the founding of Hyrule. This is known for a fact. You can handwave other contradictions, but the Rito simply were not present any time before OoT. Whatever "founding of Hyrule" is described in the beginning of TotK, it must be at some point after the evolution of the Rito. Or we can use non-canonical Watarara, but that seems like a stretch.
heck don't tell me, tell other people that don't see the rito's existence pre MC as a big deal, I totally agree that it all just falls apart by having a rito and a descendant in the span of half the entire series where the species was never ever shown

It's the 4th timeline. This TotK Ganondorf is just OoT Ganondorf, but from another timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom