• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Thoughts on the enemies in BotW

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
From what I've seen of the trailers and gameplay videos, there seems to be a normal set of enemies. Bokoblins, Chus, etc... however in a recent gameplay trailer, it showed a small clip of fighting a bigger enemy, I think it was a Moblin or something I can't remember. this enemy seemed to be able to think for itself! unlike most enemies, this one was able to think and not just charge blindly into the fray. when the player threw a bomb at it, it successfully went around it and continued on its path towards link. personally I think this is a huge development for Zelda enemies. instead of being mindless minions, they now have as much of a mind as an npc enemy can.

another thing that ive noticed is that the Enemies look REALLY nice. the animation and design is just different enough for one to notice it but still holds on to those elements that make it a Zelda (insert any enemy here) that we know and love.

thoughts? issues? ideas? let me know!

Last edited:
I like the designs of the enemies we've seen so far, especially the Guardians, i think theyre going tk go a long way to being my favourite Zelda enemy.

As for the enemies as a whole, they do seem to be very well designed, not ugly messes like the things we saw in Skyward Sword. I like howrhe bokoblins look more pig-like like they used to, which makes sense since Ganon is kicking about.

I like the larger moblin too, the tall skinny purple thing with horns we saw Bill and Nate play. I like that it was smart enough to avoid the bomb, however most of the enemies seem smart.

For example i saw Link throw a club which was on fire at a group of bokoblins, he was trying to ignite a nearby explosive barrel but his throw fell short, when the bokoblins attacked they ran over to the fire, set their own clubs on fire and began to attack Link.

Enemies havent done that before and a lot of them are coming well equipped too, if they are disarmed they can adapt. Ive seen an enemy lose its club but pick up a bow because it was the closest weapon to hand.

Im very impressed with the enemies as a whole. Im excited to see how smart they get during the course of the game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Anything is better than those enemies from SS, nearly all of which appeared to have one chromosome too many. Their designs were just horrible. The sight of which makes me want to reach for a bucket. Not only that but all other enemy types than Bokoblins seemed to be encountered so little by comparison that it almost felt those Bokoblins were the only enemy in the game.

That said I do actually like most of the new BoTW enemy designs for what they are rather than just the fact they don't resemble their SS counterparts.

The Bokoblin. I love the flippy floppy ears and piglike snouts. It makes sense for Ganon's forces to resemble him as he would have created them more in his own image.

The Moblin. They are the biggest yet with a long horn and snout with a more slender build. They seem to have a greater intelligence than those in SS, instead more akin to the Moblins of the Wind Waker who were capable of writing and were shown to be smart hunters. This time they know not to walk near bombs and instead deftly avoid them when Link throws one.

Lizalfos. These have got to be the best design since OOT. They have a more chameleon like appearance and their electrified horns make them look intimidating.

Keese. To be honest I am not a fan of the one eyed Keese design in this game and the only redeeming feature is they are course better than those goofy meth bats from Ss.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This isn't the first time we've seen intelligent enemies, there were a few (not very many, but a few) in Skyward Sword that would avoid bombs. But that's nothing compared to their AI in this game. @Spirit already mentioned it, but even when disarmed they'll just pick up another weapon and use it. Even when there are no weapons around, they'll dig up rocks to throw at you. The Bokoblins don't seem to notice the bombs but the bigger and stronger enemies certainly do.

The enemies in Wind Waker would do similar things; grab the nearest weapon, or try to karate kick you if there isn't one. But the enemies in BotW seem far more advanced and intelligent. They respond to weather and the environment; they'll chase boars for food or change their behavior at night or in the rain. They're on a whole other level.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Anything is better than those enemies from SS, nearly all of which appeared to have one chromosome too many. Their designs were just horrible. The sight of which makes me want to reach for a bucket. Not only that but all other enemy types than Bokoblins seemed to be encountered so little by comparison that it almost felt those Bokoblins were the only enemy in the game.

That said I do actually like most of the new BoTW enemy designs for what they are rather than just the fact they don't resemble their SS counterparts.

The Bokoblin. I love the flippy floppy ears and piglike snouts. It makes sense for Ganon's forces to resemble him as he would have created them more in his own image.

The Moblin. They are the biggest yet with a long horn and snout with a more slender build. They seem to have a greater intelligence than those in SS, instead more akin to the Moblins of the Wind Waker who were capable of writing and were shown to be smart hunters. This time they know not to walk near bombs and instead deftly avoid them when Link throws one.

Lizalfos. These have got to be the best design since OOT. They have a more chameleon like appearance and their electrified horns make them look intimidating.

Keese. To be honest I am not a fan of the one eyed Keese design in this game and the only redeeming feature is they are course better than those goofy meth bats from Ss.
The fact that Lizalfos can literally use camouflage to sneak up on Link is really amazing.

That is a really great mechanic in general, since it will keep the player on their toes, and it makes Lizalfos so much more defined than in previous games. Where Lizalfos were just pretty much a variation of a Stalfos combat wise.

FrozenDragon

Relatively Quirky
I'm impressed by the enemies in BotW overall, especially the AI.

The Guardians are by far my favorite, they look and act cold and ruthless, very much like killing machines.

The main draw here, however, is the fact that enemies actually act like they want Link dead, something last seen on TP, hahah. They are somewhat cartoony, but not to the point of SS's, where they looked silly and mostly not dangerous, and definitely not like WW's where most enemies look downright cutesy.

BotW_Moblin_Model.png

axe.png

The second Moblin looks a little different from the first, I wonder if they're actually different enemies? Like one is a Big Moblin, taken from Nintendo Land.

Anyhow the enemies look pretty good. I kinda miss Bokoblin tails though. I like how the enemies are intelligent in their use are weapons, and can be seen doing stuff like hunting boars(video of one successfully eating one), or sleeping.

I'm more creatures will appear, maybe some Classic Zelda enemies like Goriyas, BullDog Moblins and Lynels?

Last edited:
I really like the ones I've seen so far, though I'm a tad worried by the lack of 'traditional' Zelda enemies here. We haven't seen a huge variety outside of Bokoblins and Guardians at the moment. So I'm hoping it's not like Skyward Sword where the same few enemies appear over and over again. That would be a bit disappointing if you ask me.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I really like the ones I've seen so far, though I'm a tad worried by the lack of 'traditional' Zelda enemies here. We haven't seen a huge variety outside of Bokoblins and Guardians at the moment. So I'm hoping it's not like Skyward Sword where the same few enemies appear over and over again. That would be a bit disappointing if you ask me.
We have already seen:
Stalfos
Lizalfos
Keese
Moblins
Bokoblins
Guardians
Chu Chu's
Boars
Guardians

That's already nine of the thirteen regular enemies(not counting variants of enemies on both sides. Because they are still the same enemies) that Breath of the Wild has over Skyward Sword..... And we have only seen 1% of Breath of the Wild.

We have already seen:
Stalfos
Lizalfos
Keese
Moblins
Bokoblins
Guardians
Chu Chu's
Boars
Guardians

That's already nine of the thirteen regular enemies(not counting variants of enemies on both sides. Because they are still the same enemies) that Breath of the Wild has over Skyward Sword..... And we have only seen 1% of Breath of the Wild.

We've seen StalBokoblins, not Stalfos.

Those are all enemies also from Skyward Sword, aside from Boar, and Guardians, which are new additions.
BotW_Unknown_Enemy_Model.png

We have seen what could a be a Dinolfos/Daira/Dark Lizalfos in a screen.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
We've seen StalBokoblins, not Stalfos.

Those are all enemies also from Skyward Sword, aside from Boar, and Guardians, which are new additions.
BotW_Unknown_Enemy_Model.png

We have seen what could a be a Dinolfos/Daira/Dark Lizalfos in a screen.

I believe that in a gameplay video by Nintendo, they said that these were Lizalfos. They seemed to have a camouflage thing going on in one part of the video. But I could be wrong, I haven't looked into these a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom