• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on Spirit Tracks

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I love the music and it's a fun game, but maaaaaaaaaaan is Tower of Spirits 6 haaaaaaaard.

These quotes from the ZD Marathon explain why I have never beaten ST. XD

Quote 23 – Tower of Spirit is awful and I hate it and it makes me want to hurt babies – Dan
Quote 119 - "When we get to Tower of Spirit 6 I'm gonna need you to send your babies in, so I can hurt them." - Dan - ST
Quote 120 - "I have 4 1/2 pages left, and 3 of them are Tower of Spirit 6" - Dan
Quote 126 - "This was never a race, this was a battle for survival." - Trevor

As someone who works at a railroad company, Spirit Tracks feels extra special to me. However, it did not catch me like a full, 3D Zelda on the regular, non-handheld consoles.

But at least it provided me a nice desktop wallpaper at the office pc that is both work and Zelda related. :P

I generally prefer Spirit Tracks to Phantom Hourglass.

The Tower of Spirits is a better version of the Temple of the Ocean King, dungeon design was improved overall with the Sand Temple being a huge standout, the train actually felt unique to me compared to riding in a boat a second time through, and having Zelda as a companion controlling a Phantom was a fun and unique experience.

But there are a few issues I have with the game.

The pacing of the story is very uneven. The biggest exposition and story dumps happen at the beginning and end of the game with very little to progress the plot after completing each dungeon. The story itself is also rather bland. Zelda being killed at the start and Byrne's sacritice are the memorable moments in an otherwise uninspired story. The Spirit Flute is a very unresponsive instrument. I had to blow into the instrument one too many times to get it to register my notes. Lastly, I think the lack of online for its multiplayer was a huge miss after Phantom Hourglass's fun online.

Spirit Tracks was my second favorite handheld Zelda game when it came out, only being topped by The Minish Cap. But after A Link Between Worlds, my appreciation for Spirit Tracks diminished. It's still a fun game but definitely middle of the pack as far as Zelda games go.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh I enjoyed it a lot when I played it. I loved how you could play as Zelda. She was funny and very sassy. I also like Anjean and Byrne/Staven. But it's not a game I like to replay often bcause of the Tower of Spirits and because of the long boring train rides. However it did have the Anouki, a race I like a lot and hope to see return one day.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
the flute was very annoying youd be hitting the notes but the thing would say no hits....so i wouldnt do the practice bit id go straight to play...

Zachie

Moo
When this game first came out I became a little bit obsessed with trains.. but the flute sections drove me so bad and I couldn't finish one so to this day I haven't finished the game.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
It's not a bad game overall, but the reliance on the ill fated spirit pipes really sunk the game. It was honestly the first game that didn't feel intuitive on what you had to do and where to go.

Aside from that i really did enjoy it. Loved roaming the country on a train and loved the boss in the snow realm that involved battling with the train and of course the actual demon train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom