• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors This game is an RPG?

Salem

SICK
I find it odd that this game gets described as a "hack-and-slash with RPG elements", you gain experience points, you level up your characters, it's not a hack-and-slash with RPG elements, it's a straight up Action-RPG, is there even a difference between the two description other than wither it belongs to the hack-and-slash category or Action-RPG category of games.

Technically it is an action adventure game. In my opinion to Ne an RPG you need the following 3 elements.

1. The main character has to emotionally evolve (as in act differently at the end of the story because of what occurred in the story)
2. Item/loot needs to evolve. (As in you have to be collecting more loot to make doing things easier later on in the game)
3. Some decent amount of NPC interaction.

Hyrule Warriors fails point 1. As every character acts the same way throughout the story. They do not evolve to be better people. But the game does pass points 2 and 3 pretty well. 2/3 is not all 3 so the game is not an RPG.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I'd say it's borderline RPG.
It's like- Not in the category of RPGs, but pressed right up against it, or along the boundary-line itself.

For things to be RPG, they need to revolve around numbers.
Like- Level-ups, EXP, Health Amount being dictated by numbers....

So, yeah. I'd say it's right on the boundary of RPG.
It has A LOT of RPG elements, but I'm not sure if it really qualifies.

Thinking about it, Pokemon is kinda similar. In the regards to the fact they both focus on number values and level-ups and such, and the fact they're not quite full-fledged RPG. Though, I think Pokemon is closer, and more stronger, to an RPG than HW is.

Either way- It's still pretty awesome.

Salem

SICK
1. The main character has to emotionally evolve (as in act differently at the end of the story because of what occurred in the story)

Hyrule Warriors fails point 1. As every character acts the same way throughout the story. They do not evolve to be better people.
That's just a story element, it shouldn't disqualify HW from being an RPG, there are a lot games that fail this point and don't have any disagreement of being RPGs or not.

2. Item/loot needs to evolve. (As in you have to be collecting more loot to make doing things easier later on in the game)

3. Some decent amount of NPC interaction.

But the game does pass points 2 and 3 pretty well. 2/3 is not all 3 so the game is not an RPG.
Dude, again, those elements don't have anything to do if a game is an RPG or not.

I'd say it's borderline RPG.
It's like- Not in the category of RPGs, but pressed right up against it, or along the boundary-line itself.

For things to be RPG, they need to revolve around numbers.
Like- Level-ups, EXP, Health Amount being dictated by numbers....

So, yeah. I'd say it's right on the boundary of RPG.
It has A LOT of RPG elements, but I'm not sure if it really qualifies.

Thinking about it, Pokemon is kinda similar. In the regards to the fact they both focus on number values and level-ups and such, and the fact they're not quite full-fledged RPG. Though, I think Pokemon is closer, and more stronger, to an RPG than HW is.

Either way- It's still pretty awesome.
It has all of those elements, so it IS an RPG?

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Well in that case we agree to disagree. In my opinion it is not an RPG but you think it is.

And that's ok. I can understand your reasoning though.
I'm glad you at least see my point, I get frustrated that people insist that old Zelda games are either RPGs or it's "opinions".

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
It has all of those elements, so it IS an RPG?
I didn't list them all, only a few.

But even so, HW is something else at the same time. I wouldn't call HW a full-fledged RPG, but I wouldn't say it isn't one at all.
I mean, it has MANY of the same elements RPGs have, so it's very close to one, even if it might not be.
So, that's why I say it's borderline RPG.

But even so, HW is something else at the same time. I wouldn't call HW a full-fledged RPG, but I wouldn't say it isn't one at all.
I mean, it has MANY of the same elements RPGs have, so it's very close to one, even if it might not be.
I think borderline would be correct.
For me the the difference between RNG and non RNG is Link. He does not really have a personality. His story is told through all the other NPCs. Just like the Diablo series of games. Silent protagonists can evolve if their other non verbal communication shows them emotionally evolving. I just think Link does not do this.

I think the issue here is, is this a defining characteristic of an RPG. Or can a game be an RPG without it? Depending in your point of view it can be yes or no. So really Hyrule Warriors is an RPG but it's also not an RPG depending on your point of view on a few specific points.

Salem

SICK

More like it has the defining elements OF RPGs, to me exp points and levelling up= RPG, there's no other answer.

Judging by what you first said about HW, you have some weird definitions of what makes an RPG.
I do yes. But we all have our differing opinions. And that's cool. I don't see you or me being wrong. I just see it as our definitions of "what is an RPG" do be different. Video games can be classified as an art form like art or music. And we each get something different out of the same game. But as long as we all find the game fun still, then it's all good.

Salem

SICK
I do yes. But we all have our differing opinions. And that's cool. I don't see you or me being wrong. I just see it as our definitions of "what is an RPG" do be different. Video games can be classified as an art form like art or music. And we each get something different out of the same game. But as long as we all find the game fun still, then it's all good.
Yeah, but certain things like the definitions of RPGs shouldn't be left to opinions, for example, the definition of an RPG video game is a video game that uses stats, had experience points, levelling up(or something that resembles those things), if a game has those things, it's an RPG, if it doesn't , it's not an RPG, those aren't my opinions, those are facts
If you say those aspects do not define an RPG, then nothing does, and thus RPG is no longer a genre.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom