• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things the Story Has to Explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The basic plotline of the game is now partially clear. Using the Skyward Sword, Link travels from Sky Loft to Hyrule and back numerous times. Somewhere in the story, the Skyward Sword changes into the Master Sword, the blade of evil's bane. With this, they need to explain some things in order to properly tie the loose ends they will face.

1. Why is the Master Sword in the Temple of Time and how is it connected to the Temple of Light in the Sacred Realm?
One of our fondest memories of Ocarina of Time was the first time we drew the Master Sword from the pedastle of Time and found ourselves in the Temple of Light. The Master Sword is clearly a connection between the human world and the sacred realm, but why does it become a connection to the Sacred Realm? What event leads it to becoming such a sacred item? Why was it placed in the Temple of Time in the end?

2. How does the backstory of a Link to the Past fit in? Will it become non-canonical?
The backstory of a Link to the Past says that the goddesses instructed seven wise men, more formerly known as the Seven Sages to create a blade to repel anyone that tries to misuse the Triforce. It also says that this event happened shortly after the creation of the world. Does this mean that in Skyward Sword we'll get to meet the Seven Wise Men? Does this game take place close to the creation of the world or even during it? Or will Nintendo think of their own story and completely ignore A Link to the Past?

3. Where does the sword get the ability to repel evil?
This was sort of asked in the first question, as this is probably why the sword is sacred, but, the Master Sword is also titled the Blade of Evil's Bane, having the power to repel evil. Does the Skyward Sword also have this ability, or does it need to be upgraded to have the ability to take down the final boss? Where do they get this magical power from? Do the Seven Wise Men add this power in?

Thinking about this, if they do tie up the loose ends, I think the story might revolve around seeking out the Seven Wise Men to save Hyrule from some sort of evil. The Seven Wise Men are likely sealed off in separate dungeons, which is why Link must go through them. They make the Master Sword, and then off they go to save Hyrule from the Evil.

I may think up of other questions they have to explain, as I thought the list would be much longer than that. :)

Rofang

Person
Sorry if this is heretical, but I don't really care about any of those things, myself. I want a game that's fun (and I assume will make me feel like a big man, dextrously smiting all sorts of powerful foes with an imaginary sword). Ideally, it should have a story that's interesting enough to make me want to see what happens next. If the sword ends up in a temple in the end, that's a fine bonus, but otherwise, can't we just assume any number of other adventures took place between games?

D

dsp2000

Sorry if this is heretical, but I don't really care about any of those things, myself. I want a game that's fun (and I assume will make me feel like a big man, dextrously smiting all sorts of powerful foes with an imaginary sword). Ideally, it should have a story that's interesting enough to make me want to see what happens next. If the sword ends up in a temple in the end, that's a fine bonus, but otherwise, can't we just assume any number of other adventures took place between games?

I agree. All I care for is a story that isn't stupid. As long as the story seems to fit somewhere in the Zelda timeline, then that works for me. I've never been someone that needs every little detail about the game explained. I mean if you really look at it, the Zelda timeline will NEVER be 100% unless the Zelda creators come out and tell us, and even then some of the stuff in the games just won't fit together. How about we just enjoy the games and stop worrying about the origin of certain items.

I agree. All I care for is a story that isn't stupid. As long as the story seems to fit somewhere in the Zelda timeline, then that works for me. I've never been someone that needs every little detail about the game explained. I mean if you really look at it, the Zelda timeline will NEVER be 100% unless the Zelda creators come out and tell us, and even then some of the stuff in the games just won't fit together. How about we just enjoy the games and stop worrying about the origin of certain items.

Neither of you get the idea of this thread. If neither of you cared, why did either of you post here?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It'll also have to explain who the people of Sky Loft are and who the evil forces are. If these forces are the interlopers, then perhaps the answer to the question "Where does the sword get the ability to repel evil?" is that the Sages used the power of the Light Spirits while creating it. It would be wonderful if Nintendo could explain the backstories of LttP and TP in the same game.

People try to find out more about the timeline because some people think its fun, which isn't either you or Rosfang.

this game likely takes place very early in the storyline, it has to be before all the games with the master sword in them if it details its origin. perhaps the bit about the power to banish evil has something to do with the wind and earth sages from tWW

D

dsp2000

Neither of you get the idea of this thread. If neither of you cared, why did either of you post here?

No, we got the idea of the thread (it's not hard to grasp.) We were just stating our opinion that we don't feel the need for things to be explained. If you can't take people not agreeing with your viewpoint then don't make threads. We're not starting stuff, we just explained our views on the matter. If you don't care about our opinions, then why reply to them?

Rofang

Person

Because you raised the subject of "things the story has to explain." My answer is: "nothing." Did you want people to post their own lists or just agree with yours? My list just happens to have zero items.

Because you raised the subject of "things the story has to explain." My answer is: "nothing." Did you want people to post their own lists or just agree with yours? My list just happens to have zero items.

Again, you don't understand. I'm just saying this is the list of things they HAVE to explain in order to tie up the lose ends. We're not all making lists here, we're discussing how they're going to do that or what else they might need to explain to connect it correctly with the other games. This is the game that they create the Master Sword, so they are going to have a lot of things to get right without people complaining about them being wrong and the like.

You know what, any mods, please lock this thread. This went in an entirely wrong direction.

^ I'm going to make the above a bit more clear ^

Last edited:

Rofang

Person
Again, you don't understand. I'm just saying this is the list of things they HAVE to explain in order to tie up the lose ends. We're not all making lists here, we're discussing how they're going to do that or what else they might need to explain to connect it correctly with the other games. This is the game that they create the Master Sword, so they are going to have a lot of things to get right without people complaining about them being wrong and the like.

Okay, you don't welcome other people's lists for some reason. Acknowledged.

But really, why should we expect that there must be one true master list of things that need covering? Player X may be satisfied only if items 1-10 are covered, while player Y may only care about items 3 and 11. Is player X more correct because his list is lengthier? What if 90% of players are more like player Y? Nintendo could even risk confusing new players by trying to appease a small percentage of people who want lots of things from old games resolved.

I don't think this difference in philosophies warrants a thread being locked (we might even end up learning something from each other), but since I'm new here, I'll concede I don't get the dynamics of the place yet. Anyway, for the record, I think you're totally entitled to want Nintendo to resolve 300 plot points if you like - that's your preference. I just posted to share my preference because it seemed on-topic.

Last edited:
Okay, you don't welcome other people's lists for some reason. Acknowledged.

Oh. My. God. Please, will you read the forum rules? Look at some other forum discussions? Clearly you don't know what posting correctly means. We're here to discuss what they need to do to tie the game correctly to the other games, not post lists, not be n00bs. Dabombster made a good thread on how to make a good post. Please, for the love of god, read it.

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?3316-How-to-Make-a-Good-Post!

And here's for anyone new here:
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?4231-Welcome-to-the-Zelda-Dungeon-Forums

and here's the forum rules:
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?344-Zelda-Dungeon-Forum-Rules

And here's some frequently asked questions you may have.
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?13-Zelda-Dungeon-Forum-FAQ

Now please, if not for my sake than for the community's, read over these, and perhaps you too will be a welcome member of the community. If you still don't understand, seek out any Hylian Noble, any moderator, administrator, or just about anybody with some form of status. They'll more than likely be happy to answer your questions. although, don't ask Vincent. He may be high ranked, but he's bluntly honest and I honestly don't know why he holds that rank.

A

AKRedden

Don't worry Zenox, I get what your saying (I think) Haha.
Here is my opinion on the things that need to be tied together.

1. Why is the Master Sword in the Temple of Time and how is it connected to the Temple of Light in the Sacred Realm?
This is what I hope is explained the most in SS. If it is going to explain the origin of the Master Sword. I'm under the impression that the seal was created by the Seven Sages to lock Ganon in the dark world because there wasn't a hero to slay him because no one could/would collect the 3 magical pendants to prove they were worthy to pull the Master Sword from the pedestal and that's why it deals with the descendants not the original Seven Sages. I thought the reason was the same in OoT with the Spiritual Stones. There is a good chance I'm wrong so just correct me, not bash, please. :D

2. How does the backstory of a Link to the Past fit in? Will it become non-canonical?
If this game has to do with the Seven Sages that originally sealed Ganon in the Dark World this this game will have Ganon but maybe it would explain more of the origin than OoT was suppose to. Again I could be wrong and same as above, :D.

3. Where does the sword get the ability to repel evil?
I think the Sky Sword will become the Master Sword in some way.

If this game takes place before A Link To The Past and has anything to do with that storyline then it will have to tie in the creation of the Temple of Time and the reason and the placement of the Master Sword in the pedestal.

I just can't what to play the freaking game and know what's suppose to happen.
I care just as much about a challenging, fun game as I do about a good storyline plot that tells me something new.

Should this thread even be in the SS forum or in the Zelda Theory?
If we are trying to make sense of a game for a stand point to ties it together with another Zelda game this would be more Zelda theory.

Just sayin' :)

S

ScottyMcGee

As much as I'd love all those questions to be answered, I frankly doubt they will. I don't think they intend to make anything clear on a grand, comprehensible timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom