• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Thiefs

I havn't played A Link to the past in ages but i remember a lot of thiefs telling me too go places and speak to people. I completed the game and still couldn't work out what there story was. Was there any story or were they just random thiefs?

S

Scotts897

I havn't played A Link to the past in ages but i remember a lot of thiefs telling me too go places and speak to people. I completed the game and still couldn't work out what there story was. Was there any story or were they just random thiefs?

I can't remember exactly but most thieves in hide outs usually gave clues. I think one told you about the Ice Rod by Lake Hylia and another gave you an important hint about the middle aged man actually being a locksmith (which is the hint you need to find out how to open the locked chest). Another one tells you that he get most of his money from killing monsters. So yeah, they all were just random NPCs hidden in secret caves and their purpose was to give you clues about the world so you could figure out things more easily.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The theives were not in any way part of the main story, unless they were the theives that hid under the Light World Theives Town area. One thief gives Link 300 rupees for Link to not tell anyone about him, one tells him about the cave in Lake Hylia with the Golden Bee, fairies, and the Ice rod, one tells Link about the member of the gang near the entrance to the desert that knows how to unlock any lock. Basically, they give clues on how to get the 4th bottle and the Ice rod, and give Link some spare cash. One thief runs a gambling game in the northeast part of the Lost Woods.

Djinn

and Tonic
I had always thought they were in the game to add a little flavor to Hyrule and make it a well rounded society. Complete with villagers, fortune tellers, royalty, sages, and then thieves. Normally in world building you try to get at least a little bit of everyone to make it a fairly believable society even if it is a small setting for a video game. Thieves and thief guilds are a fantasy setting standard, and usually one of the best places to get nice things like rare items or money. So I took their inclusion to be just some more added story outside of the usual old monsters and gimmicks of a plain video game. Take all the extra stuff out an all we have is the original LoZ. Which makes a decent game, but a terrible empty story where everyone was questioning if there really were people that lived in Hyrule at the time.

and I never really thought about it but they do perform a good service in giving Link hints during the game. From how to unlock certain treasure chests to how to defeat a boss later in the game.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
and I never really thought about it but they do perform a good service in giving Link hints during the game. From how to unlock certain treasure chests to how to defeat a boss later in the game.

The "thief" inside Blind's hideout isn't a thief. The credits call him "The Loyal Sage" which implies he may be a descendent of the Seven Wise Men. And he didn't give you a clue on how to kill him. He just told you how to reveal him as a boss. The actual killing was you smacking him blindly with a sword as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom