• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda There Wasn't a Timeline to Start!

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I'm not shocked at all, but this will change everything we have ever known about zelda and the rare seldas.

Imagine the other timeline possibilities! What if OoT started it all instead of SS?

Big Octo

=^)
I'd be a liar if i said I was surprised. However, this is quite interesting. I mean, what would Zelda be like if it started with something like Zelda II (so much sense here)?

What would the timeline be like if it started with Wand of Gamelon?

Jokes aside, it is quite interesting (to say the least).

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Even though the timeline was never set in stone, i think Zelda started with basic connections, Adventure of Link was confirmed to be a sequel to the original and then A Link to the Past was confirmed to be a prequel with Link's Awakening, by general consensus, a sequel. Now what we had here was two seperate series of stories that didn't seem to connect but we know that they did in some fashion.

However, it was when Ocarina of Time was released when things became more obscure, I wasn't a fan of the series back then but I can see how this is when confusion started to kick in. Now we had what was perceived to be another prequel, yet no connections followed and even though the Oracles linked in with Alttp, it still didn't really help a huge deal.

In the end it seemed like Nintendo toyed with the idea of creating a full based legend but they still wanted each game to have a sense of individuality. Of course this worked well in some cases but as time grew the more engaged fans grew tireless, so I think Nintendo "had" to do something and in late 2011 they did. It wasn't overly hard for Nintendo to create such connections - since most games had a foreign feel they could retcon in some sort of links. However, there was some blocks and Nintendo countered that with the hypothesis present in the decline Timeline.

Overall I'm not surprised by this announcement in any way and at the end of the day, I'm glad that Nintendo did go through with creating a full Timeline, despite some of the hate, I feel it's largely good.

Last edited:

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
Yeah. It would have been rather sweet to have seen this grand master plan be unveiled with a truth, but I guess not.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I thought this was kind of obvious. Fans theorized enough that the creators had to answer continual questions about what order the games go in because OoT screwed everything up (especially the subsequent releases of MM, WW, and TP which were all obvious sequels to the game, which hadn't existed before in the franchise, like Mario). So, they made up an order they thought made sense. Which is why people are still technically free to theorize about the timeline. Savvy? :)

Oh, p.s. the timeline was only confirmed with the Hyrule Historia. As this came out around the time of Skyward Sword, which was the only game then confirmed to be in any particular place in relation to all the other games (i.e. we knew it was going to be first chronologically). So I think the idea of an actual timeline only really occurred around the time of Twilight Princess, which had the Hero's Shade. The earliest I could say it probably occurred to them was Wind Waker. But there was clearly no thought to any of this before then.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Of course they didn't have a timeline from the start, while they were designing the original Loz, they had no idea the games' storyline would get this convoluted.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'm sure they were planning a timeline (AoL and aLttP set it up), but never really took it seriously until OoT or tWW.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Ya its like windwaker is when they began to try to connect the games, because right after that was Minish Cap setting itself as prequel.

OoT was still very much its own game unconnected to past zelda games (or would they be future?), it made no attempts to connect to another game previously released. It was pretty much Alttp in 3d with time travel instead of dark world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom