• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Zelda Cycle

Different people, different opinions. I find it funny nonetheless.

ZeldaCycle1.png

thezeldacycle_zps23703eb7__large.gif

zeldacycle-1_zps75c3ca2d__large.png

It make for a good meme, but I never really understood how it could be true when it comes to core fans of the series that have been following it for a while. In actuality, this only applies to super casual fans who have probably only played the mainline 3D games once (aka most "gaming journalists"), and their nostalgia dictates what they like and don't like. You can see this pretty plainly when you line it up - OoT used to be the best 3D Zelda, now WW and TP are, and I expect SS soon will be. Whichever game you played first is your favorite, and which game was your first more often than not is based on how old you are. This is why, apparently according to the internet, WW and TP are currently loads better than OoT and MM; it's just the generational shift that dictates it as younger and new people get into video games.

For actual fans of the series, which is like 100% of this board, I'm pretty sure our opinions on 3D Zelda games specifically hasn't altered from "absolutely hate" to "absolutely love" like the cycle implies. I loved OoT and TP when I first played them, and I still do. I thought MM was okay when I first played it, and now I think it's great because I can appreciate it more. I didn't like WW and SS the first time I played them, and I still don't like them. I would think that many hardcore Zelda fans are about the same way.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This was exactly the case with me and Skyward Sword, but it wasn't due to the cycle you're talking about.

I will admit, cycles like this do exist and are evident in so many series it's ridiculous. A couple of recent examples are GTA and Fallout (which are my two favorite series). Fallout 4 at the moment is kind of going through this; it's getting huge amounts of praise and quite a lot of dislike as well (some to the point of hatred). The exact same thing happened with New Vegas during its release - there was overwhelming hate and now, 5 years later, seemingly every Fallout fan places it on this pedestal in comparison.

Point is, this is modern gaming for you, it's cool to hate on the popular and newest thing and praise it years later when it becomes more obscure and "acceptable" to like again. It's not always the case though, some people may be genuine and not follow the trend. My dislike for Skyward Sword certainly goes deeper than following a trend, but I will agree that this cycle exists.

This cycle does seem to be Zelda exclusive. The fallout isn't as bad when Mario changes his stripes and his games usually stay in favour, but Zelda seems to be a helter skelter of despair.

I think its because Zelda games aren't a constant. Mario isn't either but he retains a certain look and feel, Zelda doesn't.

Zelda looms different everytime, playa different almost everytime, the games are quality but rarely the same twice.

Games like Tomb Raider can either be good or crap but you know what you're going to get, its just a case of if its going to be a good edition of the franchise you're familiar with.

Zelda isn't the same, its too dissimilar from itself every time so the expectation is always in a weird state of limbo and when a game eventually releases this limbo continues and opinion constantly shifts because its both the first and last time we'll see a Zelda of that kind, as such its hard to even compare Zelda to itself, so opinion can never be 'this be a good version of what we know' or 'this version be bad'

Hence the Zelda cycle.

Last edited:
This isn't really unique to the Zelda franchise. This literally happens with every other game franchise I follow.

The core Zelda fans like a little innovation and lots of rehash in their Zelda games. Proof OOT.
The core Zelda fans do not like really innovative Zelda games initially. But years they learn to learn the innovative Zelda game. Proof MM's poor sales followed by MM3D's great sales.

according to the internet, WW and TP are currently loads better than OoT and MM
What? I thought Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time were still really popular. Maybe not among the same people, as I love Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask, and am not a big fan of Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time. But my friend, who is 13 like me, adores Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, and doesn't like Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess as much.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The core Zelda fans like a little innovation and lots of rehash in their Zelda games. Proof OOT.
The core Zelda fans do not like really innovative Zelda games initially. But years they learn to learn the innovative Zelda game. Proof MM's poor sales followed by MM3D's great sales.

The poor sales for MM were likely in part down to the requirement of an expansion pack on the N64. The 3DS however required no add on to play MM3D after people had bought and enjoyed OOT3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom