• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Whale

jack546

The chosen one
I think the whale is a good guy because yes he is/might be a servant of the goddess but we don't know who this goddess or anything about her. The real reason i like this guy is because he saves Zelda and shows us that this goddess is probably a good diety. What are your thoughts on the whale?

Ganondork

goo
The whale is definitely good. The Goddess is worshiped by the residents of Skyloft. Now, of course some people worship bad entities, but it seems like the Goddesses in Zelda are always good. The whale basically was summoned by the Goddess to protect Zelda. This is because Ghirahim generated that cloud to abduct her.

In conclusion, there is no doubt he is a good guy.

...I'm seriously not sure if I have to start the 'teh whale iz a dream'-thing again...

Upon hearing about the whole dream thing, I don't know anymore. However, given the context in which the whale was supposedly spoken about by Lord Ghirahim, I have placed my bets that it's on the good side.

Hmm...or neutral at the most, though, its status as a servant of the Goddess(es?) would most definitely confirm it as a benevolent being.

T

Tekniko

Sorry, but what are you guys talking about? Where is this game footage you have seen? I can only seem to find the same 3-4 minute E3 video.

It is most certainly not a dream... Besides, Phi saved Link right after the whale thing happened.

Really? Here we go again claiming to know things for certain when there is simply not enough evidence to go on. We have no clue what has happened. Trailers are not meant to show the plot in detail, we get a few short scenes out of context to get us interested. Sure it's fun to speculate, but don't act as if there is only one possibility. For all we know, Phi could have come to Link in a dream.

Wow...just wow...

But yeah, what if that "loathsome servant of the Goddess(es)" Lord Ghirahim mentioned is this new "rival character" from Link's school spoken about in the most recent interview?

I'm not a strong proponent to this, however, and I stick close to my position that Lord Ghirahim was talking about the whale (NOT unknown rival guy)...

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
however, and I stick close to my position that Lord Ghirahim was talking about the whale (NOT unknown rival guy)...
i believe Ghirahim is talking about the whale as well. But, what caught my attention was the fact that Zelda was wearing an extra white sweater thing on as well as a Blue thing tied around her waist with her Bird Symbol on it in the scene she's falling into the whale's mouth, but in the scene before, Zelda has just a red summer dress on... i think the Tornado and the Whale saving/eating her happen at different times. but, Ghirahim saying that the "that loathesome servant of the goddess" saved Zelda from the tornado. i'm so confused... :S

i believe Ghirahim is talking about the whale as well. But, what caught my attention was the fact that Zelda was wearing an extra white sweater thing on as well as a Blue thing tied around her waist with her Bird Symbol on it in the scene she's falling into the whale's mouth, but in the scene before, Zelda has just a red summer dress on... i think the Tornado and the Whale saving/eating her happen at different times. but, Ghirahim saying that the "that loathesome servant of the goddess" saved Zelda from the tornado. i'm so confused... :S

Me too... I'm terribly confused.

It seems her clothing will be like a school uniform, considering she does go to a school in this game, as does Link. The question is, how does she change clothes between such seemingly closely occurring moments?

The scenes (and the sequences in which they occur) in the presentation may have been greatly altered for whatever purposes, such as to avoid spoilers. One thing's for sure, Zelda's dress - during this time - in that presentation sure gives us a lot to think about, in my opinion.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Me too... I'm terribly confused.

It seems her clothing will be like a school uniform, considering she does go to a school in this game, as does Link. The question is, how does she change clothes between such seemingly closely occurring moments?

The scenes (and the sequences in which they occur) in the presentation may have been greatly altered for whatever purposes, such as to avoid spoilers. One thing's for sure, Zelda's dress - during this time - in that presentation sure gives us a lot to think about, in my opinion.
yeah, in my opinion too. but, i was actually thinking that maybe, just maybe, those two events don't actually happen at the same time. I came to the assumption that Zelda maybe is a klutz and/or careless, considering the fact she just jumped off of the side of the island in the gameplay footage, assuming Link would catch her. Maybe she tends to always fall off her bird. In which case, the scene of her falling and teh scene of the whale catching her could happen at two totally different times. hmm?

Last edited:
Whatever, I'm just going to do it;
Let me clarify, it has not actually been confirmed that the whale is a dream. It has been said by a Nintendo representative however that the game starts with Link having a dream and waking up in Skyloft. Exactly like OoT started, with Link having a dream and waking up in Kokiri Forest.
The part about the whale being in the dream is just a theory, albeit a very plausible one. I think the dream encompasses not only the part with the whale, but the scenes with Link falling in darkness and seeing Phi as well. Link has had prophetic dreams before, so why not again?

First of all, Zelda is wearing different clothes from when Link and her go flying and get sucked in the tornado. No matter how you twist it, it's impossible that it's the same event.
Second, the scene with the whale seems very dream-like, with all-white background and a very dream-like effect, no to mention the slo-mo, with Zelda reaching out to Link as she falls. Granted, the slo-mo isn't a great argument, but still.
Third, the scene afterwards with Link falling suddenly has a completely black background. This is very dream-like, as the scene changes with the events and how Link, the dreamer, feels.
Last, I feel the whale looks more like some sort of metaphore for the 'evil' down below, than an actual creature, but this is more my opinion.

I'm looking for the article about the dream right now.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
well Yonatesf, i personally believe "The Dream Theory" could be pretty plausible. I mean, the differnt clothes thing makes more sense with this theory than my theory of "Zelda's irresponsible and careless, therefor falls off the bird alot". mind sounds kinda dumb, but this dream one really has some backbone. and that would explain the Red earrings as opposed to the Blue earrings IGN kept talking about in their Rewind Theater. ^^

well Yonatesf, i personally believe "The Dream Theory" could be pretty plausible. I mean, the differnt clothes thing makes more sense with this theory than my theory of "Zelda's irresponsible and careless, therefor falls off the bird alot". mind sounds kinda dumb, but this dream one really has some backbone. and that would explain the Red earrings as opposed to the Blue earrings IGN kept talking about in their Rewind Theater. ^^

Wow, thanks. To be honest the stuff I posted is all the 'proof' there is for this theory, especially since I'm having quite a hard time finding the
original source of the information that the game starts with a dream...But I made the best of what we have :P

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Wow, thanks. To be honest the stuff I posted is all the 'proof' there is for this theory, especially since I'm having quite a hard time finding the
original source of the information that the game starts with a dream...But I made the best of what we have :P
it's cool, you got your point across, didn't you? and, to back up your theory, maybe Zelda falling into the whale is the very opening scene. i mean, in every Zelda game (except the first two), Link is either asleep or dozing off. SwS will prolly be no exception. maybe he has the dream and is awoken be Zelda telling him he's late for school... we'll never know until the game is released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom