• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Voice in BotW is not Zelda?

This is something I've been thinking about. Obviously this is a theory and purely my opinion.

The majority thought is that the voice in the trailer and the opening gameplay is Zelda's. The two most popular reasons for it being Zelda are:
  1. It makes sense and is the most likely (albeit maybe too obvious and boring).
  2. Zelda's Lullaby plays in the background when Link is on the first resurrection tower at the beginning of the story demo and the voice is speaking.
I'm not against this if this ends up being true. She's an important character to the series and it makes sense. But what if it wasn't her? What if it's a new character; a friend that you meet along the way, maybe even the creator of the Slate?

It would make it much more interesting if the voice speaking to you, beckoning you to wake up, was a mysterious woman whom you've never met. Maybe an old friend you can't remember. Strictly from a story standpoint, Zelda would be a boring choice.

So what about Zelda's Lullaby? Think about it. It only plays when looking at Hyrule Castle and the light. Let's look at the usage of Zelda's lullaby throughout the series.
  1. "Zelda's Lullaby" is heard when Princess Zelda and Link meet for the first time in the dungeon of Hyrule Castle.
  2. Link is taught "Zelda's Lullaby" by Impa shortly after meeting Princess Zelda. Impa tells Link that not only was the song sung as a lullaby for young Zelda, but has also been passed down from generation to generation of the Royal Family of Hyrule and is traditionally only taught to its members or trusted messengers.
  3. In Majora's Mask, the song is heard in the background during the flashback scene where Link remembers Princess Zelda.
  4. "Zelda's Lullaby" is heard when Tetra is revealed to be Princess Zelda in the basement of Hyrule Castle in the Wind Waker.
  5. In Skyward sword, "Zelda's Lullaby" is heard when Zelda reveals her identity as the goddess Hylia reborn.
There are more examples, but it shows that the song is played when Link sees, meets, or thinks about Zelda. If this is the case. Then it makes sense to play the song when seeing Hyrule Castle (home of the royal family) in ruins surrounded by Ganon, and the light, which is probably an indication of Zelda being in the castle, whatever her role there is whether prisoner or the one holding Ganon in. But the voice continues to speak with no indication of the Lullaby after the view is taken from the castle. If Zelda is captive or using her power to keep Ganon at bay, would she even have the ability or strength to speak to Link and guide him in his journey? That doesn't seem likely.

Anyways, this was just a thought I had swirling in my mind. This game is changing a lot about Zelda. I would love to see it change up the story. Ganon is in it, but he's Calamity Ganon, in a form we've never seen him in. It would be refreshing to add some new characters; intriguing characters that could be used in future games. Not just Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Comment if you have any opinions!

I'd have to say that it being Zelda would be kinda boring and obvious since she's the one that always wakes link up and has to stay hidden or protected for most of the game (although I bet the voice is really Zelda) it would definitely be cool to see some new faces though and it could be potentially this games version of impa that made the sheika slate and she's the one guiding link but that's just a wild theory

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
I've thought about this, and I think it's Zelda for reasons that you pointed out already, plus it reminds me of the start of Link to the Past wherein Zelda talks to Link telepathically.
I'm still not completely sure, though, since there's no confirmation, so I'm interested to hear the theory. Since he's in the resurrection shrine, a place which is almost certainly built and maintained by the Shiekah, I think the most likely possibility is one of them, and that immediately brings my thoughts to Impa. As the one recurring Shiekah in the series, I think that's the most likely alternative. Since it is related somehow to Twilight Princess, however, I think there's some chance Midna could return as well. She's a fan favorite, and while I don't expect it, there is reasonable possibility that she could be in communicating with the Shiekah, since they seemed to have some relations with the Twili in TP.
Your idea of a new character is also a good possibility, though. If it was, I still think a Shiekah is likely, especially considering their focus in this game.

I'd never considered the possibility that it might be someone other than Zelda. When I heard it, I just thought, "wow, Zelda's talking!" I think you're right, it makes sense that it's her. However, you're also right when you say that they're changing a lot of things with this game, and it's entirely possible they'll pull a crazy "gotcha it's actually Anju, the telepathic Shiekah who won't be your companion because we're not doing that this time around."

It would be interesting, from a story point of view, to have the voice belong to someone unknown and unexpected. I'd be fine either way, so long as (and this is important) it makes sense. It probably will, but as long as the explanation (for Zelda or someone else) isn't boring or flimsy, I'm fine.

I didn't think it was Zelda to be honest. I just thought it was going to be a currently unnamed character.

My immediate thought was it was a computer/technology voice and that the lullaby is playing to keep Link asleep.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
My immediate thought was it was a computer/technology voice and that the lullaby is playing to keep Link asleep.
That's an interesting point. We are all assuming it's playing in your head, but there's not really any evidence for that since it only plays in the resurrection shrine, right? It could be a recording, I guess. That would mean it could be anyone and the basis of Zelda using telepathic communication might no longer be a valid theory. Good point, thanks for bringing it up.

That's an interesting point. We are all assuming it's playing in your head, but there's not really any evidence for that since it only plays in the resurrection shrine, right? It could be a recording, I guess. That would mean it could be anyone and the basis of Zelda using telepathic communication might no longer be a valid theory. Good point, thanks for bringing it up.
Thanks. Ya I just assume a voice from the tech. I think the voice says something about the first checkpoint once Link leaves the cave, but I thought then that it came from the Shiekah slate. It just seems like an AI or something.

I think its Link's companion speaking to him.:fi::ghirahim:
I really actually love the idea that it's his companion.
I had the same thoughts as Hylian-telligent (clever user name, btw 10/10). I mean, yeah my initial reaction was to think it was Zelda, but then I was like "No way, that's way too obvious." With this game as shrouded in mystery and unanswered questions as it is, I feel like that voice being Zelda is... almost a let down, like if anyone ever told you what The Doctor's real name was. All that hype and secrecy for an anticlimactic reveal.
Anyway. My point is that my favorite characters have always been the game companions: Fi, Midna, Navi, Ezlo, ect, they've always been my favorite. I love the idea that this mysterious voice is someone Breath of the Wild Link knows from his past, but someone we don't know yet!

I had a friend who thought it might be Fi, trapped in the master sword, dying from the erosion of the blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom