• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Perfect Skyward Sword

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
SS was not what i would ever consider a bad game, its not perfect however, but then a again what game is? Every game has something that is hated about it, no game is flawless, now ill talk about what makes SS unperfect. First i would have liked to have a less linear game, the sky world was to small and compressed, Skyloft and the Lumpy Pumkin are the only realy intersting island, and all of the surface had only straightforward places that only lead to the next temple, if they would have added more islands islands it would have been better, the motion controls sometimes were diffcult but altogether ut felt like was wielding a real sword.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The Skyview Temple largely fulfilled that role, at least in terms of aesthetic.

Actually, Skyward Sword's boss battles were phenomenal in that few fell victim to the traditional stun, hack-and-slash pattern of previous iterations. Scaldera, Levias, and Demise come to mind in terms of creative execution and keeping the player on their toes at all times.

That was an extremely minor part of the game. No need for such harsh complaints.

1.but...that dungeon was on land
2.my mind is clouded w/ the vision of the sandship boss everytime skyward sword bosses come to be mentioned,and i instantly think 'hate'
3.its not so much the trial that irritated me as much as it being a way to drain another 20 minutes of my wiimote battery life....as well as my own

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
one thing i'd take out - Stop giving us the item collection screen whenever we get a new material. Particularly when you're in the middle of a battle...

Yeah, here i am trashing the Horde to get to His Demonic Fabulousness, and I have to use the whip to take one of those horns from a Bobokin and I have to look at that damnable message when im surrounded by foes. Same story if they drop Skulls. And the bloody cutscene mechanic AUTOMATICALLY puts my sword away, wasting a half-second taking it out, at which tim I usually get damaged, then go on a killing rampage. On the plus side, after all of this backlash, I doubt Nintendo wil do this again. Once per game is once enough. Then again, they didn't listen with that TP Rupee debacle...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, here i am trashing the Horde to get to His Demonic Fabulousness, and I have to use the whip to take one of those horns from a Bobokin and I have to look at that damnable message when im surrounded by foes. Same story if they drop Skulls. And the bloody cutscene mechanic AUTOMATICALLY puts my sword away, wasting a half-second taking it out, at which tim I usually get damaged, then go on a killing rampage. On the plus side, after all of this backlash, I doubt Nintendo wil do this again. Once per game is once enough. Then again, they didn't listen with that TP Rupee debacle...

At least it wasn't with the rupees this time around. :lol:

If you were disappointed by Skyward Sword, your expectations were most likely set unrealistically high.

Anyways, there are a few things I would add/remove:

- Flesh out the Sky.

The Great Sea in Wind Waker is one of my favorite overworlds ever and the Sky could have been just as good if they added more islands and mini-games.

- Remove the Imprisoned (2)

Two fights are enough for story purposes.

- Remove the Heart Medals and give us 8 more Pieces of Heart.

- Add another region in the middle that connects Lanayru, Eldin, and Faron.

Other than that, Skyward Sword is perfection and the only 'problems' are some missed opportunities which isn't exactly a problem in the first place because it doesn't exist.

Edit: Oh, one more thing, I can't believe I forgot this.

FIX THAT DREADFUL DAY AND NIGHT SYSTEM.

...I take back the word dreadful, it's not exactly bad, but the game would have been so much better with Night Flying and seeing the Sky at sunset would have been awesome.

Last edited:
Ghirahim is a poor villain for my tastes, that's all I'll say. *cue the hate*

I completley agree.

Ghirahim was simply a poor villian. His lack of seriousness and intelligence made for a completley passive game. He created no urgency throughout the game, and while I feel his battle incorporated unique motion control mechanics, they were repetitive throughout the entire game, showing little growth in him as a character. In short, just like much of Skyward Sword, he was a great idea, but executed poorly.

However, the biggest problem I have with him as a villian is that he was just the evil counterpart to Fi. In other words, he was not the main villian. Now this woluld not have bothered me as much if we knew more about Demise from the beggining. There was absoloutley no foreshadowing for the events of Demise until the middle of the game, and even then he was briefly mentioned. Honestly, this is more of a rant towards Demise and how he just failed as a villian. Skyward Sword should have built more suspense towards Demise to not make the final battle so anti-climactic, or make Ghirahim the main villian.

I completley agree.

Ghirahim was simply a poor villian. His lack of seriousness and intelligence made for a completley passive game. He created no urgency throughout the game, and while I feel his battle incorporated unique motion control mechanics, they were repetitive throughout the entire game, showing little growth in him as a character. In short, just like much of Skyward Sword, he was a great idea, but executed poorly.

However, the biggest problem I have with him as a villian is that he was just the evil counterpart to Fi. In other words, he was not the main villian. Now this woluld not have bothered me as much if we knew more about Demise from the beggining. There was absoloutley no foreshadowing for the events of Demise until the middle of the game, and even then he was briefly mentioned. Honestly, this is more of a rant towards Demise and how he just failed as a villian. Skyward Sword should have built more suspense towards Demise to not make the final battle so anti-climactic, or make Ghirahim the main villian.

This post is objectively incorrect, to put in bluntly.

Oh, I am by no means trying to troll, belittle, or hate you for having an opinion. (Albeit an incredibly flawed one.) I'm merely suggesting that you should do a little more research before you spew out some post like that.

Now, first off, I don't understand the whole "Ghirahim is a poor villain" argument to any extent. You are by all means not obligated to like him, but you cannot deny that he was an effective villain. Instead of claiming that he lacked intelligence and/or seriousness without any valid evidence whatsoever other than "Because I said so" maybe you should elaborate on your opinion a tad more because perhaps I'm simply a raging fanboy who can't handle that his precious Ghirahim is being insulted. Anyways, back to my point, out of any Zelda villain, Ghirahim is the one that was encountered the most frequently. He obviously had many plans, which shows that he didn't lack intelligence. He discovered the 2nd Gate of Time, came close to snatching Zelda on multiple occasions, and most importantly his plan was a success. How many villains out there, let alone Zelda villains, had their plans succeed? Very few. And he did have a decent amount of character development. Ghirahim's personality went from being calm to insane by the end of the game while still retaining the traits that made him an engrossing character. His personality didn't make a complete 180, instead, it was developed throughout the game where the events directly affected his mood. Also, I fail to see how being the 'evil' version of Fi is a bad thing since their personalities are completely different. Fi is cold and calculating while Ghirahim is flamboyant and expressive, I mean seriously, if anything, they're opposites in personality. As for the discussion whether he is a main villain or not..... yeah I don't feel like reposting a paragraph I wrote yesterday, but I can show you it if you like.

Lastly, and perhaps the most incredibly oblivious, unintelligent, and disheartening thing about your post is the fact that you claimed Demise had no foreshadowing. Let's take a look at a video shall we?

[video=youtube;1K5h6vGzq-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K5h6vGzq-E[/video]

Go to about 3:35 for when he starts the game.

Oh wow, would you take a look at that. No more than 5 freaking seconds into the game do we see the Imprisoned, who by the way if you haven't noticed since you seem to be completely brain dead towards everything so far, is Demise. I hardly call that lack of foreshadowing.

That was quite a rude post I made, again there's no problem with disliking Ghirahim, Demise, or Skyward Sword entirely, but if you want to form a constructive argument, put a bit of thought into your opinions.

Thank you.

Z

Zeldafangirl199

Skyward sword was a great game. But I too agree that it lacked in many ways.
First off, the sky. There was nothing there. It was so empty and most of the islands were completely useless besides having a treasure chest with no challenge to get to.
I also did not like the separation of the regions. It didn't feel like an overworld. It didn't feel like it had that much exploration, like in twilight princess or wind waker for example. And I missed a snow section but that's no big deal.
I hated the imprisoned. It didn't even look scary or tough after you see the toes. The multiple times having to battle him is tedious and annoying. Demise is supposed to be the main villain. The most evil and yet he appears at the end of the game and his battle is a piece of cake. He should have been more of a challenge. Ghirahim was more of a challenge. And he was a sword.

This post is objectively incorrect, to put in bluntly.

How can something be objectively incorrect when they are simply opinions? Except for the foreshadowing part, which could arguably be interpreted as objective criteria, but I was complaining about the lack of foreshadowing of Demise, not the absence of it, which is a subjective statement.

Now, first off, I don't understand the whole "Ghirahim is a poor villain" argument to any extent. You are by all means not obligated to like him, but you cannot deny that he was an effective villain.

Oh, but I most certainly can deny that he was an effective villain! Thank God for my freedom to think!

Anyways, jokes aside, I have mixed feelings about Ghirahim. I love him one day, and I hate him the next. As I said before, he was an excellent idea but was executed poorly. Nintendo was obviously trying to make us feel more emotionally connected to the characters in Skyward Sword. Now they did this succesfully with several characters, i.e Groose and Fi (my opinion), however I thin they flopped when it came to Ghirahim. Did he have a semblance of awesome-sauce? Yes. Was he funny? Absoloutley. However, his role as an actual villain was mediocre IMO. I stated in my first post why I think he failed, but I'll state it again here. He created a lack of urgency in the game from the get-go. His procrastination to get to the point made him seem harmless, his silly antics made me not fear for Zedas safety. He simply created an overall lack of urgency for me in the game. It picked up near the end, but that was at the end, too late.

Instead of claiming that he lacked intelligence and/or seriousness without any valid evidence whatsoever other than "Because I said so" maybe you should elaborate on your opinion a tad more because perhaps I'm simply a raging fanboy who can't handle that his precious Ghirahim is being insulted.

Judging from this post I think you are a raging fanboy, but meh.

Evidence
- Procrastinates which creates an anti-climactic atmosphere.
- Dances, flaunts his tounge, talks about himself constantly, etc. <-- (Not serious attribute)
- Battles are repetitve, showing that he has learned nothing from his previous defeats.
- He appears in the middle of a cut scene near the end of the game and just steals Zelda, while seemingly effortlessly knocks down Link. (This does not support my lack of intelligence/seriousness argument, but it was certainly awkward. How can he just easily knock down Link after we have defeated him so many times before?)
- At the end of the game we learn that he is simply Demise's tool for resurrection. A unique plot twist, but it deteriorates the idea of him being his own actual person with individual emotions. Rather, he is doing everything he is doing because Demise told him to.

I remember having more arguments for this, but it's been a while since I've played it. I hope this is a sufficient amount, if not, I'll try to think of more.

Anyways, back to my point, out of any Zelda villain, Ghirahim is the one that was encountered the most frequently. He obviously had many plans, which shows that he didn't lack intelligence. He discovered the 2nd Gate of Time, came close to snatching Zelda on multiple occasions, and most importantly his plan was a success.

Your right, we did encounter him the most, I loved that aspect of him. However, I fail to see how this would make him a better villain. His encounters were filled with as much tension as two loose strings (lol). A good example of how Nintendo had an excellent idea (encountering the villain more throughout your journey), but executed it poorly (creating a complete lack of tension/conflict between the player and the villain).

Also, what do you mean he had many plans? His plan was to capture Zelda the whole time. It might have changed once when the player discovered the second Gate of Time, but that's it. I can understand your point thought.

How many villains out there, let alone Zelda villains, had their plans succeed? Very few.

Umm..., the point of beating a Zelda game is to defeat the main villain (Ganondorf, Demise, Vaati, etc.). So your wrong. No villains in he Zelda series were succesful. When were Ghirahim's plans succesful? Resurrecting Demise could be considered a success I suppose, but we defeated him in the end, making it unsuccesful.

And he did have a decent amount of character development. Ghirahim's personality went from being calm to insane by the end of the game while still retaining the traits that made him an engrossing character. His personality didn't make a complete 180, instead, it was developed throughout the game where the events directly affected his mood. Also, I fail to see how being the 'evil' version of Fi is a bad thing since their personalities are completely different. Fi is cold and calculating while Ghirahim is flamboyant and expressive, I mean seriously, if anything, they're opposites in personality. As for the discussion whether he is a main villain or not..... yeah I don't feel like reposting a paragraph I wrote yesterday, but I can show you it if you like.

I do not remember stating that Ghirahim had a stagnet personality? He did develop, which again was a great idea on Nintendo's part. However, it was executed poorly because the "insane" part didn't come out until nearly the end of the game.

And you obviously did not pay enough attention to my post. I specifically stated that the tragedy of Ghirahim being Fi's counterpart is not in that fact itself, but because he is not the main villain. Again, this is more so my frustration with Demise's anti-climactic ending, so I will not elaborate.

Lastly, and perhaps the most incredibly oblivious, unintelligent, and disheartening thing about your post is the fact that you claimed Demise had no foreshadowing. Let's take a look at a video shall we?

[video=youtube;1K5h6vGzq-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K5h6vGzq-E[/video]

Go to about 3:35 for when he starts the game.

Oh wow, would you take a look at that. No more than 5 freaking seconds into the game do we see the Imprisoned, who by the way if you haven't noticed since you seem to be completely brain dead towards everything so far, is Demise. I hardly call that lack of foreshadowing.

That was quite a rude post I made, again there's no problem with disliking Ghirahim, Demise, or Skyward Sword entirely, but if you want to form a constructive argument, put a bit of thought into your opinions.

Thank you.

Lol, I just realized after reading this portion of your post that I made you so angry by bashing Ghirahim and Demise.

Anywho, I realize that there is foreshadowing of Demise in the game. Looking back at my post I realize I said "absoloutley no foreshadowing of Demise..." It should have said, "lack of foreshadowing." My apologies.

How can something be objectively incorrect when they are simply opinions? Except for the foreshadowing part, which could arguably be interpreted as objective criteria, but I was complaining about the lack of foreshadowing of Demise, not the absence of it, which is a subjective statement.

Oh, but I most certainly can deny that he was an effective villain! Thank God for my freedom to think!

Anyways, jokes aside, I have mixed feelings about Ghirahim. I love him one day, and I hate him the next. As I said before, he was an excellent idea but was executed poorly. Nintendo was obviously trying to make us feel more emotionally connected to the characters in Skyward Sword. Now they did this succesfully with several characters, i.e Groose and Fi (my opinion), however I thin they flopped when it came to Ghirahim. Did he have a semblance of awesome-sauce? Yes. Was he funny? Absoloutley. However, his role as an actual villain was mediocre IMO. I stated in my first post why I think he failed, but I'll state it again here. He created a lack of urgency in the game from the get-go. His procrastination to get to the point made him seem harmless, his silly antics made me not fear for Zedas safety. He simply created an overall lack of urgency for me in the game. It picked up near the end, but that was at the end, too late.

Evidence
- Dances, flaunts his tounge, talks about himself constantly, etc. <-- (Not serious attribute)
- Battles are repetitve, showing that he has learned nothing from his previous defeats.
- He appears in the middle of a cut scene near the end of the game and just steals Zelda, while seemingly effortlessly knocks down Link. (This does not support my lack of intelligence/seriousness argument, but it was certainly awkward. How can he just easily knock down Link after we have defeated him so many times before?)
- At the end of the game we learn that he is simply Demise's tool for resurrection. A unique plot twist, but it deteriorates the idea of him being his own actual person with individual emotions. Rather, he is doing everything he is doing because Demise told him to.

I remember having more arguments for this, but it's been a while since I've played it. I hope this is a sufficient amount, if not, I'll try to think of more.

Your right, we did encounter him the most, I loved that aspect of him. However, I fail to see how this would make him a better villain. His encounters were filled with as much tension as two loose strings (lol). A good example of how Nintendo had an excellent idea (encountering the villain more throughout your journey), but executed it poorly (creating a complete lack of tension/conflict between the player and the villain).

Also, what do you mean he had many plans? His plan was to capture Zelda the whole time. It might have changed once when the player discovered the second Gate of Time, but that's it. I can understand your point thought.

Umm..., the point of beating a Zelda game is to defeat the main villain (Ganondorf, Demise, Vaati, etc.). So your wrong. No villains in he Zelda series were succesful. When were Ghirahim's plans succesful? Resurrecting Demise could be considered a success I suppose, but we defeated him in the end, making it unsuccesful.

I do not remember stating that Ghirahim had a stagnet personality? He did develop, which again was a great idea on Nintendo's part. However, it was executed poorly because the "insane" part didn't come out until nearly the end of the game.

And you obviously did not pay enough attention to my post. I specifically stated that the tragedy of Ghirahim being Fi's counterpart is not in that fact itself, but because he is not the main villain. Again, this is more so my frustration with Demise's anti-climactic ending, so I will not elaborate.

Lol, I just realized after reading this portion of your post that I made you so angry by bashing Ghirahim and Demise.

Anywho, I realize that there is foreshadowing of Demise in the game. Looking back at my post I realize I said "absoloutley no foreshadowing of Demise..." It should have said, "lack of foreshadowing." My apologies.

Continuing on with your ever astounding stupidity, it's objective fact that there wasn't even a lack of foreshadowing Demise. Did they say his name until Zelda came along? No. However, The Imprisoned was obviously a big part of the story from the beginning and you fought him no less than two times before Zelda actually name dropped Demise. He appeared in numerous cutscenes and discussions beforehand.

As for the Ghirahim discussion, I still disagree with the lack of urgency aspect. For the first three dungeons Ghirahim is racing for Zelda just like you are; I hardly call that lack of urgency. For the 4th and 5th dungeon it's understandable that he wasn't exactly present then because he was thinking of a new plan, and his plan in the first place wasn't exactly to pimp slap Link. After that, he learns about the 2nd Gate of Time and proceeds to wait until Link directly leads him to Zelda at the end of the game. Hardly an uneffective villain that didn't cause a sense of urgency in my opinion. He never procrastinated throughout the game at all, unless you somehow call not killing Link a procrastination, but it's not like you can kill of the main character for the sake of making your villain look super-duper-cool. And why does flaunting make him an unserious character? Sure he may wag his tongue at Link, but he was talking about beating him within an inch of his life at the time. You don't need to put on a stoic persona simply to be serious, you just have to express it.

And regarding the repetition in Ghirahim's battles, again I completely disagree. Battles 1 and 2 are somewhat similar, but really, only phase 1 of battle 2 is the similar part. (Even then phase 1 of his second battle is different) The 2nd phases of his first two battles are incredibly different from each other. Sure, I could be all analytical and detail every single move he has that's different, but it pretty much speaks for itself. And as for the third battle, that's even more drastically different from the first ones. Not to mention, he uses three different character arts and designs for each battle so it shows Ghirahim developed visually, physically, and mentally. Lastly, there are many parts to a plan. In Ghirahim's case, it was kidnapping Zelda which took many things. He had to stalk Link in Skyview, send his minions out to capture her in Eldin, and he had to attempt to do it himself in Lanayru, so that's what I meant by multiple plans. And as you stated yourself, his plan was to kidnap Zelda and resurrect Demise, again, which he accomplished. Did Demise stay for a long time? No, not really, but he did resurrect him which means his plan was a success. As for curbstomping Link at the end, you could argue that everyone was caught up in emotions with awakening Zelda and destroying Demise, but it was most likely done for dramatic purposes, which again, isn't a problem.

One more thing, the entire main villain concept, what's the problem? He stated that he was working for his master from the beginning so I hardly call that a plot twist. Also, unless your use of the word "tool" was literal, (I.E Ghirahim's a sword) that doesn't detract from his personality at all again either. Let's look at Fi and Ghirahim again shall we? Ghirahim was basically the Fi to Demise, but when Demise was destroyed, Ghirahim was left alone. He didn't really have a purpose in life other than serving his master, so to resurrect him, he grew his own personality (Much like Fi grew a little by the end of the game, but Ghirahim had time to fully flesh out) and set his plan in motion after he was ready.

And as for his role as a main villain.... yeah just read this:

To put the Ghirahim discussion into perspective, let's use our friend TV Tropes.

Bigger Bad
Big Bad

Of course, Tv Tropes is not the ultimate decision for the interpretation of the Main Villain in video games, but if you think about it, both Ghirahim and Demise are main villains. It simply depends on your personal definition of the penultimate villain in video games. Do you think the Very Main Villain is the one who drives the plot? Or do you think it's the one who has the most evil and/or potential to cause destruction.

However, one thing is for sure, 'sidekicks' can and most definitely should be considered main villains. Sure there may be a Big Boss who's spelled out for you, but subordinates or third-parties should be considered part of the main villain tree for sure. Are you saying that Onox and Veran shouldn't be considered main villains simply because they're (Literally) Hijacked By Ganon? Or do you sincerely believe that Sephiroth wasn't influenced by Jenova in Final Fantasy 7? A main villain is a main villain, they drive plot points and are encountered frequently (Or unfrequently) throughout the game. As long as they are a driving force for some story arcs, they're seen as a main villain in my eyes.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

Evidence

I don't think it's very proper of surferguy7 to be blatantly insulting you, but what's he's said is absolutely right. It's very possible for things to be objectively incorrect. When a character appears numerous times, slowly reveals more of his plans, and develops flawlessly throughout the entire story, that character isn't a failure. It's the complete opposite. Everything surferguy7 had to say about Ghirahim is 100% correct. This is something that cannot be argued. As he said, you have every right to not like Ghirahim, but saying he wasn't an effective villain is just incorrect. Ghirahim could quite possibly be the most efficiently-executed character in series history. Despite the fact that SS's story is not superior literature, he's one of the most impressive characters out of any story that's ever been brought to my attention because of how excellently paced he was throughout the game.

His battles were also not what you make them out to be. They built off of what each previous fight had brought to the table and got better and more challenging each time. The "heat weak point/stun boss, hack and slash, repeat" style of boss fight is repetitive. Ghirahim's fights were more action-based and were very fluent. They required thought the whole time, rather than just mindless repetition of the same steps over and over again. Again, you have every right to not like him, but saying that his fights are repetitive is just plain incorrect.

As far as Demise goes... you're also incorrect. Demise's appearance was foreshadowed literally since Link's first visit to the Sealed Grounds. Remember The Imprisoned? Yeah, that was Demise. And The Imprisoned was faced many times. Ghirahim also constantly mentioned that he was trying to revive his master and that he needed Zelda to do it. Then, the biggest factor of all, Zelda full-on revealed who Demise was and what he was trying to do. Everything that had happened up until that point finally made sense. Demise had a presence pretty much the entire game. Then he appeared. And not just instantly, mind you. After we had a fighting chance to stop him. We had to go through the Horde Battle and Ghirahim in order to try to stop the resurrection. But it didn't work. So we had to face Demise, the character that the game had been pointing to since 2 hours into the game. One of the focus points of SS's story was foreshadowing Demise. Those who think he had almost no presence until the end and who's only purpose was to appear for 5 minutes and say "Herp derp, I am the reason Ganondorf appears" are thinking very shallowly and not paying attention to the story. I don't mean to insult, but that's the truth. Demise was foreshadowed very excellently. Saying otherwise is folly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom