• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"The past will often attack the present with the pain of your memories"

You're having a normal day, nothing has gone wrong and nothing is really on your mind...

Then it happens; a memory crosses your mind and it isn't a good one. Uncomfortable, depressing and one you wish you could forget... but you can't, it often pops up unexpectedly to ruin whatever day you're having.

I'm not asking what the memory is that attacks you unexpectedly, but are you the kind of person this happens to and does it happen often?

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I made the conscious decision to become dead inside long ago. I don't let it bother me much. Still, can't help but feel anger, embarrassment or disappointment at past experiences. Sometimes I try to make good on them best I can... if I can, but that opportunity affords itself rarely. But if you allow yourself to dwell on it you'll go mad and only be more of a nervous wreck. Just keep trudging towards the future and swear to do better. We all have regrets. We all gotta live with em.

funnier6

Courage~
All the time, things just pop up and haunt me, usually something embarrassing or something I said I wish I could take back. Always the same things over and over. But there’s nothing I can do about it so I try to focus on today.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
yes and its bloody annoying
though I do have those times where I think about circumstances surrounding that bad memory (not the bad memory itself quite yet) , and for some reason I continue to dwell on it until I recall the bad memory in its entirety, its dumb b/c I could just stop thinking about it before that happens and it'll be fine, but for whatever reason I sometimes go all the away and it brings me down for that moment

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Yes. The past comes back to me more often than I would like. It's not necessarily stuff I want to forget, but it's not stuff I want constantly on my mind. I'm not even totally sure what triggers it. Sometimes really subtle things in dialogues might make me think of stuff, or maybe an action someone made, or maybe I just think of it. But when it happens, it definitely does put a damper on my mood.

Stormageden747

Zofian General
Wow, this happens to me a lot. Mainly one horrifying memory that I won't speak of. But when it does come to mind, it sure makes me sad or more worried. Just know that the past cannot be changed, but the future is not written in stone. Your future is what you make it, but the past is what has been made.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Oh yeah, so much. And the worst part is, it's the stupid stuff that nobody will remember but me. Jokes that don't fit the room. Awkward attempts at a relationship that fell through. Those small things will haunt me to my dying day.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I remember once I tripped over myself and fell down epically in public. I was so embarrassed and it felt like everyone was staring and laughing at me. I was an insecure freshman when that happened and I believed that from then on everyone would remember and make fun of me. But people forget so quickly. Most of the time when people think others are judging them, it’s all in their head. They’ll take the slightest expression or movement and be sure that everyone is judging them when it’s not so.

Now, reality and the human brain are sometimes two different things. At the time I was convinced that no one would ever let it go. But in reality, no one cared, someone helped me up and that was that. In hindsight I realize this. Those feelings of embarrassment and self-consciousness are hard to get over, I know, but when they come back, I try to dismiss them and put the past where it belongs. Focus on the present, focus on changing who you are now, don’t give those feelings the time of day because if you let them in, they’ll eat all your chez and make you feel bad.

Ninja

Well well well
Tons of cringey moments in my past have come back to haunt me with subtle references. It definitely sucks but I just chalk it up to being an idiot back then and these memories ensure that I never make another mistake like that again.

Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived.
Picard - Star Trek Generations.

One of my favourite fictional movie quotes ever.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived.
Picard - Star Trek Generations.

One of my favourite fictional movie quotes ever.

You can’t help but read that is Patrick Stewart’s voice haha that’s an awesome quote.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Yeah, this happens to me semi frequently. It really does ruin my day, even if I'm sure everyone forgot about it years ago

NintendoCN

Team Captain
Yeah rarely.. I learned how to organize and control my thoughts after the first time though, so it rarely ever happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom