• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Origin of the Master Sword Confusion

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I've had this on my mind since I beat Skyward Sword.
I was under the impression that the Sages from Ocarina of Time created the Master Sword. However, those of you who've played SS know that the Master Sword was forged by Link when he tempered the Goddess Sword with the three flames.

So, what's the deal?

H

HolyArtfak

I just consulted the Zelda Wiki for the Master Sword and no quote said that the sages forged the Master Sword. Only that the sages built the temple of time in OOT.
"Ages ago, we ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the entrance to the Sacred Realm..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)

The sage may also be existent in SS because their medaillon exists as symbols in the goddess temple. Maybe they created the Goddess sword with the help of Hylia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djinn

and Tonic
It is said in a couple areas in other games though, the actual creator of the master sword seems to change sometimes. In the ALTTP manual it says that the Hylians made it for the imprisoning war

NoA translation
Suspecting that Ganon's power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil's bane, or the Master Sword. It was so powerful that only one who was pure of heart and strong of body could wield it.

Retranslated
For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane. It was called the Master Sword, and it is said that only a true hero could use it

In TP
There you will find the blade of
evil's bane that was crafted by
the wisdom of the ancient sages...
the Master Sword.

It never seems to be explicitly stated but more hinted that the ancient sages created it. The when seems to change some, most people assumed that it was around the time the Temple of Time was created because that is when the Door of Time was put into place according to Rauru. It could not have been the imprisoning war since it was already there in the Temple of Time in OoT. So the time it was made was pushed back some. Because of this it seems that overall the Master Sword was a very ancient items that even the most learned people living in Hyrule were unsure of the origins. They always assumed it appeared alongside some event in which it was used or was first mentioned. The people of ALTTP thought it appeared for the imprisoning war. While the people before the war thought it appeared with the building of the Temple of Time. That shows how there were few accurate accounts of the events of SS which makes sense. By the time of TP all talk of anyone once living in the sky became a long lost legend and was no longer believed by anyone living in that era. No one was completely sure what the origins of the previous era really were or their purpose. They only had myths told by word of mouth to go on.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
On Zeldawiki.org it says this:
Crafted by the ancient Sages, the Master Sword holds the power to repel evil, and it is usually the only sword that can defeat Ganon in the games it appears in.
I know that this is user created wiki and could be incorrect but, I think I've heard this before. I've always been under the impression that the sages created it. Obviously the above quote isn't right though. Link "crafted" it from the Goddess Sword. Who knows.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
According to OoT, the Sages created the Temple of Time. The Temple of Time existed before SS (in fact, if you follow the theory that the Temple of Hylia/Sealed Temple becomes the ToT, there are symbols on the roof depicting the Sages' Medallions to confirm that the Sages had something to do with it). TP says the sword was crafted "by the wisdom of the ancient sages." Maybe they had something to do with the flames? i.e. the Sages themselves didn't craft the sword (and may not have been around to do so) but they set up the circumstances to allow Link to craft it in SS. Otherwise, it's a slight retcon, though it's odd they'd go with LttP's story rather than TP's.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's been 20 years since the Master Sword was first introduced to the Zelda series, so the origin story is bound to not be exactly the same as what was first told. Very little was known about the sword itself until recently, much less its origins, and the reason for that is Nintendo themselves never delved much into its origins themselves. I think it makes a lot of sense for the origin story to have "changed" with Skyward Sword, since it's the only game to truly delve into its history.

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
As Djinn states:
They only had myths told by word of mouth to go on.

Even Fi states in Skyward Sword something along the lines of: 'the text have been lost through history".

Perhaps the real origin was just lost through oral communication there for the people assumed the next closest thing to wield enough power to forge the Master Sword; the Sages.

Nowhere in the entirety of the games does it say that the sages from OoT created the Master Sword. It really doesn't make sense when you consider that after we get the Master Sword we awaken the sages... Doesn't make sense at all really.

The whole point of this game was the forging of the Master Sword. We're seeing firsthand the creation of the sword itself, which kind of makes whatever previous games say null and void. There's been more accurate translations of the LttP backstory which indicate that it was forged BEFORE Ganon and not for him. Also, there's been at least 1, maybe 2 wars in Hyrule throughout the series, one of them was a civil war at that.

Also... when we think about the fact that by the time OoT rolls around, which is the next earliest in the series from SS, the Master Sword is already just a legend. So my advice to you, is take the word of the game that actually shows the forging. Remember the title of these games, the LEGEND of Zelda.

There is more then one Master sword there are multiple masterswords the original one is Ss's they state that when you get your sword back in eldin valcano

There is more then one Master sword there are multiple masterswords the original one is Ss's they state that when you get your sword back in eldin valcano

That's because that's the name of the sword is the True Master Sword, but this is only to say that the sword is at full power. All the Master Swords throughout the franchise are the one and the same. The Master Sword sleeps until it's needed where it can then be drawn by a chosen hero or by someone who has proven himself worthy of wielding the sword.

In WW when you pull the sword it says it's the same one wielded by the ancient hero, OoT Link. We know that this is the same because of the backstory of the hero given at the start of WW and I'm also sure they directly state "Hero of Time" somewhere in the game. On the TP end of the spectrum, it's the same kind of deal. Link's the chosen hero of the gods and so he is able to pull out the Master Sword and the Spirits of Light also make reference to an ancient hero who's outfit you acquire. All of the clues in the games point to the sword being the same throughout the series.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Also, the sword was called the Master Sword before the final upgrade. Are we to say that the "True Master Sword" is a completely different blade from its previous form? It just means that it's in its intended form, at its intended power.

A

Alyssaur

Is it possible that, because Link leaves the MS in the past near the end of SS, people got to wondering where this fruity sword came from all of a sudden and just created a legend about the sages forging it to explain it's existence?

G

gAmer_Matt

I think it's just one of those things where they say that there's different versions of one story because it's a legend, and that legends can change as time goes on. However because you actually forge the sword in Skyward Sword, that's obviously the way it's truly made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom