• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Old Goddesses In Skyward Sword

Maffiline

nirorlei
We all remember the three old goddess' from Ocarina of Time, correct? The ones who made the land and stuff? If not, perhaps this dialogue from Ocarina of Time will help you remember:

"Before time began, before spirits and life existed...
Three golden goddesses descended upon the chaos that was Hyrule...
Din, the goddess of power... Nayru, the goddess of wisdom... Farore, the goddess of courage...
Din... With her strong flaming arms, she cultivated the land and created the red earth.
Nayru... Poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world.
Farore... With her rich soul, produced all life forms who would uphold the law.
The three great goddesses, their labors completed, departed for the heavens.
And golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world.
Since then, the sacred triangles have become the basis of our world's providence.
And, the resting place of the triangles has become the Sacred Realm."

This is the story of how the earth was created in Zelda, and the Triforce was created.

Hylia is the new goddess in Skyward Sword, however, the old goddesses are still referred to.
While Din, Nayru, and Farore have their "trials" in the Eldin Volcano, Lanayru Desert, and Faron Woods, they are also referred to in the opening cutscene when you start your file in Skyward Sword. I will now retell the whole dialogue, in which it is Fi telling the story, I think...

"This is a tale that you humans have passed down through uncounted generations...
It tells of a war of unmatched scale and ferocity, the likes of which would never be seen again.
One dark, fateful day, the earth cracked wide and malevolent forces rushed forth from the fissure.
They mounted a brutal assault upon the surface people, driving the land into deep despair...
They burnt forests to ashes, choked the land's sweet springs, and murdered without hesitation.
They did all this in their lust to take the ultimate power protected by Her Grace, the goddess.
The power she guarded was without equal.
Handed down by gods of old, this power gave its holder the means to make any desire a reality.
Such was the might of the ultimate power that the old ones placed it in the hands of the goddess.
To prevent this great power from falling into the hands of the evil swarming the lands...the goddess gathered the surviving humans on an outcropping of earth.
She sent it skyward, beyond the reach of the demonic hordes. Beyond even the clouds.
With the humans safe, the goddess joined forces with the land dwellers and fought the evil forces, sealing them away.
At last, peace was restored to the surface.
This is a tale that you humans have told for many ages, generation to generation...
But there are other legends, long hidden away from memory, that are intertwined with this tale.
Now, a new legend bound to this great story stands ready to be revealed.
A legend that will be forged by your own hand."

I think that when the story mentions "ultimate power" it is referring to the Triforce. When the story says "Handed down by gods of old" and ". . .that the old ones placed it in the hands of the goddess." it is referring to the old goddesses: Din, Nayru, and Farore. They were the oldest gods in the Zelda series, they created the earth. In OoT's story of creation (I said it at the beginning) it doesn't mention at all that the goddesses gave the Triforce to Hylia at all. Perhaps there's another story somewhere that can tell about this, though I doubt it.

So, um, yeah. Basically I think that Din, Nayru, and Farore are not gone and are referred to in Skyward Sword. I kinda wish I knew how Hylia came into the story though.

Edit:
If you're wondering why I said that Din, Nayru, and Farore are the oldest gods in the Zelda series, mainly why I called them gods, is because when you're referring to many gods, whether they're female or male, they're always considered gods. Example: Greek gods. There are female gods, and male gods. Sometimes you may prefer to refer to them as Greek gods and goddesses, to show that there are female and male.

Last edited:
The "ultimate power" does mean the Triforce.
*End-of-game spoiler warning ahead*
SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER
In the last dungeon, they mention Din, Nayru, and Farore when you get each Triforce. So it's obvious that they aren't gone. The story is that the Three Goddesses Din, Nayru, and Farore created the lands and left the Golden Power (Triforce) and Hylia to protect it. [insert story told in skyward sword here]
SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER***SPOILER

Maybe Hylia found the Triforce and hid it in the Tower of the Goddess. I know we have no knowledge of how someone lower than the three golden goddesses can "maintain" the Triforce, but I believe it is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom