• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The NX

I don't think it will. I don't think it will support Wii U discs either, based on what you say later on.
I can agree with you there. Sad but we have to move on.

Again, I do not think so. I think the appeal of the Wii and motion controls the way the Wii presented them is gone. I still like it, but I think the majority of gamers and developers have moved on.
I agree the world has moved on from the Wiimote. About time Nintendo does too.

It had better. That's all I'm saying.
Hell yes. It would be a hard kick to our Nintendo loving crotch if it did not.

I don't think so. Maybe. Maybe Nintendo is going to be adamant and stick with the GP, but I don't think it should. No one used it right, very few games at least. It was a brave gamble, and it did not work out. Move on.
I think Nintendo will. I don't know why but I have a feeling that games like SFZ, Mario Maker and Splatoon are the start of bigger and better gamepad things.

Well, it depends on what the NX really is. Is it supposed to be another system that stands along with the Wii U and the 3DS? If that's the case, I can see some Wii U games being playable. If this is the case, then I expect this NX to be released fairly soon (late 2016, early '17). If it isn't, and it's a different device altogether, then I would expect it to release with NX exclusives. It would be foolish not to.

On that note, when they say "not meant to stifle" the Wii U, I don't necessarily think that means they'll be out at the same time. Maybe they mean, it won't stifle the Wii U because the NX will not be released until the Wii U has lived a long and productive console cycle. Maybe.
Well said. I agree with all your points there.

I think it's an absolute necessity, which ties in to your question #8.
I agree also 100% with you.

100% yes. I don't know much about this sort of stuff, but I have read various blog posts and articles stating that this is one big reason (maybe not the biggest) why there are no ports.

It will definitely go a long way to addressing that issue, which is an issue that is absolutely plaguing the Wii U. When the PS360 are still getting games that the Wii U isn't even getting, that's a problem.
This is one reason why the WiiU is not getting too many 3rd party ports. But it's still even today a non zero amount. For me the reason went like this:

The WiiU launched. And with it on release day were quite a few 3rd party games. A lot more than I was expecting. People wanted them sure but they didn't sell consoles. (me included, I bought the WiiU much later). There was no must have 1st party Nintedo made game for the WiiU on launch. A lot of people go "I'm buying the console so might as well throw in a few 3rd party games as well." But with no console sale, this 3rd party "just another game to go with the console" could not happen. This affected the 3rd party game sales. Many of the 3rd party developers because of this felt there would be not enough sales on the WiiU and pulled their support.

Nintendo need to get this right for the NX. To me whatever Nintendo to launch the NX is fine by me as long as they put out some amazing must have game for it on launch day. Give us a reason to buy the NX on launch day. The reason that did not exist on launch day for the WiiU. To me its a combination of needing more similar hardware to the competition to make developing ports easier and getting the NX launch right.

Thanks for replying to my questions :)

2MooglesGaming

More fun than a bag of Kupo Nuts!
I would 100% expect backwards compatibility with the Wii and Wii U. GC would be nice, but super unlikely. The biggest thing, though, is that it should be graphically on par with the PS4 and Xbone. The fact that Nintnedo has been behind everyone else for over a decade has really hurt them in terms of third party titles, so having powerful modern hardware would mean more games overall.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
This is one reason why the WiiU is not getting too many 3rd party ports. But it's still even today a non zero amount. For me the reason went like this:

The WiiU launched. And with it on release day were quite a few 3rd party games. A lot more than I was expecting. People wanted them sure but they didn't sell consoles. (me included, I bought the WiiU much later). There was no must have 1st party Nintedo made game for the WiiU on launch. A lot of people go "I'm buying the console so might as well throw in a few 3rd party games as well." But with no console sale, this 3rd party "just another game to go with the console" could not happen. This affected the 3rd party game sales. Many of the 3rd party developers because of this felt there would be not enough sales on the WiiU and pulled their support.

Nintendo need to get this right for the NX. To me whatever Nintendo to launch the NX is fine by me as long as they put out some amazing must have game for it on launch day. Give us a reason to buy the NX on launch day. The reason that did not exist on launch day for the WiiU. To me its a combination of needing more similar hardware to the competition to make developing ports easier and getting the NX launch right.

All true, but the XBO and PS4 did not launch with must-own titles either. For the vast majority of the first year, the games launched on both were remakes of last-gen titles, or ports of titles released on PS360. So I agree that the lack of must-own titles did have an effect, but I don't think it was the biggest reason.

Granted, everyone knows people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, not 3rd party games, but if you look at the Wii, there were some decent sales in regards to 3rd party titles. Nothing like Mario Kart Wii, but at the same time, not bad.

If what I've read is true, I think it's a mixture of the following reasons: the games did not sell as well as expected, and because the Wii U does not use the same hardware types, it was harder to port, and so they didn't put the effort to do so. I believe (and again, I'll state that I know very little of this type of thing) that if Nintendo used the same X86 that the others do, 3rd parties may have been more eager to do quick ports, but because of the PowerPC deal, they didn't bother.

And finally, the lack of power compared to the XBO/PS4 was the final nail on the coffin. Nintendo would be foolish to not change to industry standards in this regard.

Thanks for replying to my questions :)

Any time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom