• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nintendo NX(Nearly Confirmed Rumours)

I think the NX will use cartridges and digital instead.

If the Geno Leak is true, than I see absolutely no way they could incorporate disks. Not having a disk drive would also make the NX a lot less expensive as well. Having a disk drive in a small device doesn't exactly work well. There's too much that can go wrong because disk drives are extremely finicky.

I do think that if we have digital titles, then those can be available if we move our memory from Wii U to NX. They may even provide a service to send our Wii U disks in so that these can be stored digitally. But I don't think NX will use disks
Using carts feels a backward step as the GC ditched the cart for the disc (unless it's a mini cart, somethnig the size of a SD card). I also don't see the NX totally moving away from the large Wii and WiiU disc library of games that exists out there. People would revolt if people can't use their WiiU discs with the NX. Disc drives are pricey and touchy I agree but carts cost more to develop than discs do. Unless it's a mini sized cart, they still cost more than a disc but not too much more.

Also the NX will have to be way more than 32GB internal storage if there's no disc drive there.

Yes, they will likely use cartridges similar to those on the 3DS. Which use SD's. It isn't too expensive to create 64 gig SD cards nowadays as well. Third parties can also similarly merely release their games digitally as well, which prevents third parties from not releasing games on the system due to different formats like the GameCube did.
Feels like the N64 all over again. Game carts and memory cards. I don't think the NX will go this route. The NX might be digital only. But I feel it'll go the route of the bigger internal drive so we can have more than 2 current gen games on it digitally.

But ditching the disc for SD card sized game carts? That's an interesting idea. I like it, but it does not answer the backwards compatibility issue with Wii and WiiU discs. Nintendo has said the NX will not affect WiiU development. I do believe this is in reverence to WiiU game development and not the WiiU hardware. This is one of the questions I have for the NX. How it will deal with all the WiiU content we have (digital and on disc).

Browen

xXThatReallyEmoNameXx
I believe that it will come out this year. Some of the very reliable sources have confirmed the nx and that it's more powerful than the xbox1 and ps4. The FF7 remake was just confirmed for it which means that it will be out for about a year before the FF7 remake comes out. We will also witness a TP again because the better version of zelda wii u will come out on the nx and the worse version for the wii u.

I think the NX will use cartridges and digital instead.

If the Geno Leak is true, than I see absolutely no way they could incorporate disks. Not having a disk drive would also make the NX a lot less expensive as well. Having a disk drive in a small device doesn't exactly work well. There's too much that can go wrong because disk drives are extremely finicky.

I do think that if we have digital titles, then those can be available if we move our memory from Wii U to NX. They may even provide a service to send our Wii U disks in so that these can be stored digitally. But I don't think NX will use disks
I feel you may be correct.

This does make the need for a WiiU disc to NX service is totally required. Or they could just create an app for your WiiU to install the game then digitally transfer the install to the NX. This is the WiiU. This says nothing about the Wii. The Wii is important as the digital Wii games use the Wii mode to play the games natively. The Wii is not emulated on the WiiU. This means the digital Wii titles we have already would have to be emulated on the NX or there needs to be a hardware mode that can play the Wii games natively on the NX (like how the WiiU does it.). This makes me think the Wii will not be incompatible with the NX. There is a new Nintendo Selects range comnig out soon in NA and hopefully the rest fo the world. Some of the range is Wii games. It would be a real kick in the crotch to have these Wii games incompatable with the soon to be released NX.

I do think you're right about the no optical drive thing. It's a trend now. The new iMacs have no optical drives either, but you can get an external optical drive if you need. My big question is how Nintendo will deal woith the WiiU and Wii discs to make them playable of the NX somehow. We both have come up with some ideas as to how this is possible. But exactly how it will be done, only Nintendo at this moment know. it's an answer I'd like to know. I can't wait for Nintendo to answer this for us.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Why would I go to a shill site like NintendoLife or LameXplain? So they can beg for more donations on their patreons and pls liek n subskireb? Personally, I say no thanks fam. Anywho, they're all rumors regardless of the source -- and I wouldn't trust the information if it came from POTUS, let alone Gamexplain or another fansite.

You go to them because there is more exposure. People like that want exposure. If you're looking for truth, you reveal the leak yourself. You risk getting sued/fired, of course, but that's the price you pay for being a "source". Why else steal information, break a non-disclosure agreement, and leak the information if not for at least some sort of exposure?

I believe gameXplain just as much as I believe this clown. Which is not much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom