• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The naming process

Would you choose a name regardless of what others think?

• I will call my child whatever I want

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I will call my child a name that won't draw attention

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Tiger Lily is a type of lily. Like, a legit species of lily. It looks like this View attachment 36761 . The orange and the stripes around the petals give it it's name. Calling a child Tiger Lily is no more ridiculous than calling it Rose or Lily or Poppy or any other floral name tbh.
I know Tiger Lily is a name of a species. But still I won't ever call my kid like that. The Tiger in front still ticks me off. But everybody is free to name what they want to name their child. Me disagreeing won't change things. I know for myself what not to call my child :P

Dan

I don't think they'd be knocked for that name, it's not even that uncommon anymore

I've never met a person called Tiger Lilly before! Saying it aloud as if it were a name of a person would feel strange to me. Do you personally know any Tiger Lillys?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
i'll have my wife come up with a list and the first one i don't make a face at will be the winner.

Salem

SICK
Maybe it's me but when people call their kids odd or weird names it irritates me so much. I know that it's their business and not mine but come on! A child has to carry this name for the rest of their life. Unless they get so tired of it and name themselves other names. Tiger Lily...really??? Lily is okay but Tiger???? What parent would call their kid THAT?! What's next? Dog Jesse? Crocodile Patricia? Cat Owen? Snake Panda? I better catch some air :P
Tiger Lily is the name of a character in Peter Pan. :) I dunno if that makes it better or worse.;)

I like the idea of a traditional (typically Biblical) name-- John, James, Mary, etc.-- paired with something a bit more unorthodox (but hopefully still classy). That way, the kid has some agency in deciding what they'll be called.

Anything meant to be artistic or romantic-- Tiger Lily being a prime example-- I generally frown upon. I just think it reflects a measure of immaturity in the parent. That said, it's none of my business.

What shouldn't be acceptable, however, are ridiculous names bordering on child abuse-- Facebook, Hashtag, Adolfhitler, etc. (and yes, that did escalate quickly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom