• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Minish Cap - Discussion, 2015

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Intro

It's a game I have mixed feelings on, compared to the other Zelda games, but overall, it's one of the best games on the GBA and still a pretty damn good game in its own right.

After making the Oracle games, Nintendo enlisted Capcom's help again for The Minish Cap (the last time Nintendo would create an official lore Zelda game out-of-house).

Atmosphere

In terms of production values, the graphics are beautiful, the art is stylish, and the sound is very rich. You wouldn't expect one of the most beautiful Zelda games to be from a GBA, but it is. It also works as a good origin story. All the locales in the game are colorful but also have a sense of vastness and wonder to them. From the angelic skies to the dark crypts, they're all nailed really well.

Game Mechanics

At the same time, it does feel dumbed down compared to the Oracles. There are only 5 dungeons - instead of 8. The shrinking and multiplying mechanics don't reach nearly as deep as changing the seasons to open new paths (OOS) or traveling through space and time to traverse more land (OOA). The game does have some cool items such as the Gust Jar, Cane of Pacci and Roc's Cape.

Pacing

The game is one of the shortest in the series, at only ~12 hours of length. Usually, the game paces really well, but I think there are two long-ish side quests near the end of the game (one is the library quest) that add an hour or two of unnecessary length to the game. And that's a lot for a short game, but the pacing is still overall good.

Exploration

Compared to past Zelda games, the game is more linear (which isn't bad). Instead of going back and forth a large map for side quests in between dungeons, the player usually is given a big level before a dungeon. There are still shortcuts so the world can be explored, but largely, you're not likely to go back to most of the areas after you complete the dungeons. There are Kinship stones which you collect to open new areas up. I opened a few of them, but didn't find a compelling reason to come back.

Overall

It follows the Zelda formula, and does everything right. It doesn't do anything bad. It's not very innovative and it's more superficial compared to the oracles, but it's still very good.

I would basically agree with your assessment. I was really impressed with The Minish Cap as a handheld title on my first play through. I did try to go back again a year or two later but couldn't get into it the same way. Even now, part of me wants to go back and play it again, but anytime I start to think seriously about it I decide against it. I think it lacks somewhat in replay value... perhaps because the game is too short or easy... perhaps because it is too linear, perhaps because I keep thinking about finding all of the kinship stones again and it just seems like a massive waste of time. Anyway... I'd definitely recommend the game to anyone who hasn't played it yet, but it's not one of the titles that keeps pulling me back again like Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker... (probably not even a fair comparison anyway since those were console releases) ...also, you can get the game on Wii U VC for cheap! :)

hero_of_hearts

Come at me, broseidon
I completely agree. I actually finished the Minish Cap a little over a year ago 100% and while yes most of the world was barren you have to think it's a handheld game that's trying to be a console game. That poor little GBA cartridge couldn't handle aanymore. They couldn't put much more in it so that's likely why most areas are for exploration sake. But the sword techniques you learn, the kinship system, and items like the gust jar definitely make this a worthwhile trip through Hyrule. Oh and Vaati... F*** yeah

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom